Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New bike – my first full sus (maintainance question)
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Hi all just picked up my new bike yesterday (Mondraker Foxy XR). Now I’ve always had hardtails so this is my first full-sus, and first bike with a dropper. So wanting to keep on-top of maintenance etc just wondered what everyone’s real world maintenance intervals are for things so how often should I service:

Forks (Pikes)
    Rear Shock (Fox something or another)
    Reverb
    and check suspension linkage bearings

I’m guessing a rough guide would be every 3 months?

fingerbang
    Free Member

perhaps im a bad example but my real world maintenance is this:

forks – I do a lower leg service/oil change perhaps every 6 months (depending on use) and maybe a full service with a reputable service tech every 12 months (more like 18 months). To be honest, I’ve got lazy with my Lyriks as Im waiting for them to die so I can get Pikes. IME, forks – no matter how well maintained – have a finite lifetime. I have 2010 boxxers which have been serviced regularly and they’re about to die.

rear shock – hardly ever but Im resolving to stay on top of my new one so i’ll get it sent for a full service every year. Mine is a cane creek so I won’t attempt to service the aircan myself.

reverb – mine is about 3/4 years old and I’ve bled it twice. Never had it serviced.

Linkage bearings – it depends on bike really. I’ve heard people say that bearings last about 6 months on my particular frame but I’ve not found that to be the case. To be honest, I regularly check for movement and if there’s any then I’ll replace them all myself. The main precaution here is being careful with a jet wash.

you could add shock mount bushings as well. These are an easy DIY fix and I’d probably replace the DU bushings every 12 months as any movement means the linkage bearing wear is more difficult to detect.

I think 3 months is excessive for any major servicing. I keep the fork and dropper post stanchions as clean as possible and sprayed with GT85 to try and keep the seals clean.

yes im prob a bad example 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

yes im prob a bad example

User: fingerbang, Sept 30th, 2014

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Every three months would be great if you can stay on top of it. I wouldn’t let a fox air can go much longer. Your suspension pivots, bushings and bearings may not need work every three months but if you check them regularly you should be able to prevent any damage than you otherwise might miss.

Mondraker, according to my friends who have them are a total pig in terms of bearing and pivot wear, so keep an eye on them.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t spray GT85 near any suspension gubbins (stanchions, sliders, bushes, bearings).

I’d use a silicone spray lubricant on stanchions/rear shock and just keep bearings/pivots free of muck after each ride. I might put a drop of a wax lube around them for a bit of extra protection from the wet – doesn’t attract dirt and will flake off during use anyhow.

Wobbles/rattles in bushes and bearings are normally self evident way before it causes any damage. You might want to check pivots rotate freely by unbolting the shock at one end, but I normally can’t be bothered that often.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New bike – my first full sus (maintainance question)’ is closed to new replies.