Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Bike (Marmite content)
  • ajantom

I’ve just built up a DMR Trailstar, and it had it’s maiden ride today. Smashing weather for it 😀

I know these got a mixed reaction when the frame was released last year – some people though it was proper gopping. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc. and I think it looks lovely! Very….purposeful.

I think the XL frame looks good, and even though I’m a mere 6 footer, it fits like a glove with it’s dropped top-tube. The welded ST/TT brace on the XL looks a lot better than the tube on the smaller sizes too.

In keeping with the retro paint job and graphics, I’ve built it up with some anodised parts (though does everyone’s red anodising always have to be a different colour 👿 )

DMR Trailstar XL frame, Marzocchi 350 CRs, DMR stem, bars and grips, Hope X2 brakes, Superstar Fuel hubs with Stans Flow rims, SLX/Zee Gears, Nokon gear outers (retrotastic!), CB Mallet pedals, KS eTen post, WTB Vigilante/Trailboss tyres, Hussefelt cranks and BB, On-One NW ring.

Pre first ride:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T3mQ3N]New DMR first ride[/url] by tom harrison, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UjHx9T]New DMR first ride[/url] by tom harrison, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T67QPX]New DMR first ride[/url] by tom harrison, on Flickr

Post ride (a smidgen of dust!)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T67KFk]New DMR first ride[/url] by tom harrison, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

Gold seat clamp making my OCD twitch a bit

I should add that I quite like it, not normally a fan of the matching ano bits but they work with that frame.

superstu
    Free Member

What size is that rear tyre, clearance looks huge.
    Love it by the way.

ajantom

Gold seat clamp making my OCD twitch a bit

Only 31.6 seat clamp I had in my spares box.
    If you love look closely it matches the gold bit on the fork 😉

What size is that rear tyre, clearance looks huge.

That’s a big Ol’ 2.4 Vigilante! Clearance for 3″ easily there.

plus-one

Looks good makes you smile who cares 😀

Enjoy

Daffy

Gopping, made worse by your component colour choices, but so long as you like it, who cares?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I like it. Nice.

funkmasterp

I like it but the colour scheme is making me peckish

As far as I’m concerned a mountain bike should be a colourful thing.

breadcrumb

I had an original Trailstar in the same colour (Set up 1×8- ahead of the game you see).

I’m not a fan of that top tube but it does bring back memories of an old bike so marks for that.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Everything about those frames looks good apart from the looks 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

Looks awesome in the flesh. Very quick too!

jruk
    Free Member

Tom, seriously, what’s happened? That looks like a normal bike. Have you got bendy bars on order or some strange wheel configuration planned? Joking aside, looks very quick.

ajantom

Normal bike for normal rides, strange bike fur strange rides. They all have their place in the fleet 😉

I actually had a few issues readjusting to ‘normal’ bars after months of riding bendy ones.

I’m considering plussing it at some point.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I likes it!

ads678

I wasn’t a fan of the frame when it came out but that looks great built up like that. Looks great fun!

zero-cool
    Free Member

Always been a DMR fan. But I thought the top tube made these look terrible when they were first released. But your XL frame looks much better and normal. Especially in the retro colours.

Now I’m tempted by one. Damn you!
    Any idea what your build weighs in at?

Tom KP

prawny

Definitely looks better in xl than in my size. Thumbs up.

chiefgrooveguru

The first bike in recorded history where the XL looks better than the medium! Nicely retro.

It’s hard enough for one manufacturer to keep all their anodised reds matching (it’s not like painting things) definitely no hope once you’re using multiple brands’ parts. That’s one reason all my ano parts are black, but that’s feeling a little boring with both my MTBs having black frames and forks etc – even my newly serviced DBair is all black! Some colour would be nice.

From a practical standpoint, the tyre and gentleman’s clearance on the DMR is excellent, far better than most hardtails!

coomber
    Free Member

Yeah. Didn’t like it on release but that looks great in xl.

Loving the dmr sled at the mo too. To look at.

These dmr trailstar frames are really good value now a lot of others have had price increases.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Bike (Marmite content)’ is closed to new replies.