Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New bike issues am I expecting too much??
  • Wookster

Right new bike it’s a full build off the shelf build. However the front brake howls even when not breaking ie if I spin the front wheel and the shifting is a bit slow and noisy. Now this is an up and down the road and off the curb ride.

Do I leave it for a full ride and see?

Or go throw a Wobblie at the shop in a nice way is look chaos this isn’t right? To top it all it’s my dream bike the demo was amazing with none if these issues and was a model or two below what I have. Bit gutted tbh. 🙁

valleydaddy
    Free Member

don’t be afraid to take it back and get it tweaked.

Or rag it and see what happens, you should be intitled to a “free” first service after a month or so to adjust gears etc.

I’m assuming you’ve spent a fair bit of your wedge so I am sure the LBS will oblige

good luck

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Do a couple of checks yourself…i.e. front wheel alignment/security then give the shop a call and explain the situation. Throw a wobbly and you’re likely to find that they’re less likely to be inclined to help you.

jedi

hold brake on and undo caliper bolts and it will line its self up.

slowrider
    Free Member

Wot Jedi says. Tighten them back up with the brake still squeezed though.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I had brake issues with my new bike I think because they were bedding in but then I did what jedi say’s and it was fine (make sure you undo the right bolts though otherwise it can be messy :oops:). Does your bike shop offer a free service within a certain period of purchase? Maybe you could get it sorted that way.

rOcKeTdOg

Is the front wheel in properly? Did you take it out to get it home in the car?

Wookster

Yeah it was all fine and has just been checked out by the shop had an issue with the rear neck hanger from new, mech at the shop said it may need time to bed in gear wise which I have never been told before or experienced with a new bike.

Don’t get me wrong I won’t be fing and jeffing that’s not my thing or how you get people to help you but I’d expected a bit more from a new bike. Not my usual lbsbut I do know them well were I got the bike so a bit worried it’s a pup!

Wookster

Yeah it was all fine and has just been checked out by the shop had an issue with the rear neck hanger from new, mech at the shop said it may need time to bed in gear wise which I have never been told before or experienced with a new bike.

Don’t get me wrong I won’t be fing and jeffing that’s not my thing or how you get people to help you but I’d expected a bit more from a new bike. Not my usual lbsbut I do know them well were I got the bike so a bit worried it’s a pup!

Morris
    Free Member

Excuse the slight thread hijack.

jedi, slowrider – I’m getting rotor rubbidge as well. I’ve tried loosening the calliper and holding the brake on whilst tightening the calliper back up, but they still rub.

Replaced the rotor in case it was slightly bent and it still rubs.

shortcut

Take the wheel out. Push the pads back on both sides. Put the wheel back in. Undo the caliper bolts. Pull the brake. Tighten caliper bolts. If that doesn’t sort it you have an issue. Take it back.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Wookster. Maybe they meant cable stretch. Adjusting the indexing can be frustrating but I’ve found the Haynes bike book has some reasonably clear instructions on this and it saves having to wait for the shop to do it.

cookeaa

Excuse the slight thread hijack.

jedi, slowrider – I’m getting rotor rubbidge as well. I’ve tried loosening the calliper and holding the brake on whilst tightening the calliper back up, but they still rub.

Replaced the rotor in case it was slightly bent and it still rubs.

More likely a sticking piston from that description…

Morris
    Free Member

Shortcut – do I pump the brake lever until the loose calliper clamps on the rotor then tighten?

jedi

yes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On the brake issue – that is not the right way to centre brakes.

Look at the vids on the hope site. Firstly centre the caliper on the disc then centre the pistons in the caliper. Doing it by loosen the mount putting the brake on and tightening the mount relies of the pistons being central and moving equally. If they are not you will never get them set right doing that.

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG219

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Yup, I do it the hope way.
    Good vids them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New bike issues am I expecting too much??’ is closed to new replies.