Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New bike is tubeless – what do I need?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Bit of sealant and a squirter for putting some in occasionally? Tube in bag just in case? Anything else?

mudmonster
    Free Member

It does dry out over time but that depends on conditions apparently. You can just pull a bit of tyre off the rim to put in more sealant. Tube in bag is a good idea just in case.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some sealant to replace over time at home.
    A tube (or 2) in your bag with a pump.

spooky_b329

A tube with slime as on the rare occasion you do need to stick one in, you’ll struggle to find all the thorns in the carcass that have been sealed.

A tubeless repair kit, so on the rare occasion it doesn’t seal, you can simply plug the tyre from the outside and avoid removing anything.

Remembering to keep riding, and if that fails, stop and spin the wheel/allow the sealant to pool over the hole. No point watching it hiss away whilst the hole is at the highest point of the tyre, get the sealant where it needs to be 🙂

rickmeister

Get a valve core removal tool and buy Schwalbe tubes. The valves on these are also removable.

If the tubeless valve gums up with sealant you can simply remove the core, clean it up and refit without removing or disturbing the tyre bead. Also, pop the valve core out to add sealant.

Carry a schwalbe tube and if somthing goes wrong with the valve whilst your out, like it cant be undone, or the small bit gets bent… use the core tool to swap things over from your spare tube with minimum fuss…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is it already set up as tubeless, or supplied tubeless ready?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s coming set up as tubeless.

My spare tube is a Maxxis one with a removable valve core so that should be ok. Might even have a Slime one somewhere.

sandwicheater

Special tubeless pants, I never ride my bike tubeless without them. That and above covers it.

Regards topping up, didn’t touch them all winter but one month of dry thorny trails and found I’d not a drop of sealant left in both tyres.

D0NK

you’ll struggle to find all the thorns in the carcass that have been sealed

only had this once*, normally you’ll see a big glob of sealant around any holes that have been repaired so should be easy to spot.

I always carry 2 tubes but never been unfortunate enough to flat both tubeless tyres.
    Sealant top up depends on tyres/conditions but UST and TR tyres I reckon about once a year, porous tyres and bike kept next to radiator or out in the cold and it’ll probably be more often.

*and it was a massive wood screw, if I’d actually looked instead of just bunging a tube in I’d have spotted it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tubeless pants…what brand are best?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New bike is tubeless – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.