Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New bike ideas?
  • gaffertape
    Free Member

I was looking at one of these over the weekend…

[/url]

Is it any good? Any alternative suggestions most welcome?

It will be my first “proper” mountain bike and used for trails in the peaks.

ThePinkster

Was looking at one of those a few months ago but couldn’t find any information about them anywhere.

suspension looks similar to the Yeti SB66 and componentry looks good value for the money but I gave up in the end as they seemed in very short supply and I couldn’t even get any useful info on frame sizing as Decathlons recommendations seemed a little ‘vague’ to say the least.

If you can find one in store that you can try why not go & see how it feels?

One thing to be aware of however – While searching for info I read of several people damaging the mech hanger on Rockriders & not being to get hold of replacements very easily.

BTW, I ended up spending a shed load more money and getting a Mondraker Dune, which I love.

gaffertape
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I spent an hour in store yesterday trying one out. It felt fine and seemed well built. They only had large so I could not try an XL, which would have been ideal. I’m 6,1.

Apart from 5 minutes in Edinburgh cycles I have not looked anywhere else. The Guy there was in to road bikes so was very little help.

I have an engineering background (many years ago) so I feel I can spot quality mechanical parts but other than that I’m buying blind. This bike certainly felt quality.

gaffertape
    Free Member

I called the LBS earlier and they recommended either:

a giant trace 29er x4 £1500

or

a whyte 629 hardtail £1000

any thoughts on those?

mattjg
    Free Member

Presumably that’s a ‘Trance’ not a ‘Trace’.

Do some searching and you’ll find reviews of them or very similar models quite easily.

It’s pretty hard to buy a bad bike nowadays, it’s a very competitive business. Really the question is what do you want to spend and what do you want to do with the bike?

Whatever you buy you’ll probably find your taste/experience develops and you’ll move on in due course.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New bike ideas?’ is closed to new replies.