Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New bike for mate.
  • comcon23
    Free Member

Advising a fellow biker pal moving from hardtail to entry level full suss. He doesn’t want to spend more than 1500, which i don’t think he needs to. so I recomended the following, trek fuel ex5,spesh camber elite and canyon nerve 5.0 xc.

Any thoughts on the choices/ Has anyone experience of any of these bikes?

I have told him to ride them all but appreciate he can’t ride test ride the canyon.

cheers

Bregante
    comcon23
    Free Member

v.poor experience of halfords so wouldn’t point a mate in their direction.

yes i know there a decent halfords mechanics out there but few and far between.

thanks though.

Bregante

Fairy nuff. Still, at that price I’d be prepared to do the fettling myself. At the end of the day, the componentry hanging off the bike is the same, mass Market stuff that is hanging off all the other ( more expensive) bikes). Surely just a matter of making sure it’s all screwed together properly?

ampthill

Halfords prices are such that you’d willing carry the thing out in carrier bags……..

But size options are very limted, more of an issue, if your tall or short

tobytaylorj
    Free Member

Just recieved my Canyon Nerve XC, its the 2200 model but they do an xt one too that is nearer the 1500 mark. I took some pics and wrote a bit about it here – I think in these days of sorted suspension and high quality mass produced frames you just need to look at the geometry sizing and spec. Canyon will win on spec but check sizing and angles etc. I have only ridden mine a few times and im no expert but so far, so good.

Kato

I got my Lapierre Zesty for that sort of money

comcon23
    Free Member

kato-which zesty and where did you get it from

Kato

214, got it from Evans as they were shifting old stock and paid 1300

toons
    Free Member

My mate just got a canyon nerve am 8.0 and loves it.

They’re amazing value and scored well in whatmtb & mbr.

Highland28
    Free Member

Step mum just got here Canyon Nerve 5.0 the middle of last week, she also came from an entry level hardtail (Commencal Combi Disc) . The kit seems to be great, normally ith a £1300 bike you would see a weak spot in the components but on this everything seems to be very solid, xt rear mech with slx groupset elsewhere. I can vouch for how good most of the slx groupset is as I run a bit of it on my bike and the cranks are brilliant. Avid Elixer 3 are possibly the only part where things are a little cheaper but if your mate wanted he could sell on the elixers and spend the extra cash on some nicer stronger ones. The forks seem to be great so far and very light, they have the dual position so you can drop them down on the steep stuff and with the poploc they are easily locked out when riding on tarmac.
    It had its first outing at the weekend and seems to ride very well indeed not that she has much to compare it to, but she is feeling alot more confident already and she just needs to ride faster at the rockier sections to clear them rather than hesitating now.
    HTH

comcon23
    Free Member

highland-thanks he wants to go to a canyon nerve 5 and that might seal it. i was just wary on recommneding a internet bike to him.

thanks for all the other comments.

pixelmix
    Free Member

+1 for Canyon Nerve XC. A friend just picked one up (XC 8.0) – good value for money. If unsure on sizing, they have a UK sales/service team who can advise.

Spesh or Trek from a LBS might be better if he is nervous about warranty issues or servicing it himself though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New bike for mate.’ is closed to new replies.