Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New bike doesn't feel right.
  • manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

So I have built up a Stump29 evo 2015 with a 160 fork in size L, I am 6ft. Bars 750, stem 50.
    I seem to have trouble getting my ass back and the the front seems to get stuck in holes. Which seems odd from what I have heard about 29ers. The fit just does not feel right. This is my first time on a 29er after coming from a stumpy 26 2011.

What may be wrong with my set up or is it the frame?

6079smithw
    Free Member

try a narrower bar

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

narrower!? Really, what would be your reasoning out of curiosity?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

750 is narrow for me these days.

Fork travel too soft or diving? Bars too low? Cockpit too long?

chakaping
    Free Member

My suspicion is that the bar is too high, not giving you enough room to move around on the bike and lift the front out of those holes.

Is 160mm a bit long for that bike? I have a 160mm fork on my Enduro 29 and it works best with a flat bar. Even a low rise bar compromises the handling for me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s a new bike with a new wheel size for you. Of course it’ll feel different.. Get 500 miles ridden and then come back to us! 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

We need a picture of you on the bike.

Why did you go for 160 travel?

Is it 135 or 140 rear travel on the 2015 stumpy model?

What riser do you have on the bars?

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I think the bars are too high so may drop the forks to 140. I came around 160 as it was all I could buy at the time.

Stiffened up the fork and now doesn’t dive as much but still front heavy.

The bike is 135 rear.

I have a 20mm ride bar with 5mm rise stem so that rises it alotish.

I’ll get a picture of it, my friend said ride the ‘f’ out of it and then decide haha

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B89E_qhkd45COWFHa2Jxa25jejQ

rickon
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re running a pretty long fork, I think some of the Enduro boys were running a 150 on the Stumpy.

It’s designed around a 140 fork though. You may be getting a bit too much dive as its starting off pretty talk at the front end.

It’s also a normal’ish BB with a 140 fork, but it’s gonna make your centre of gravity pretty high if you’re sticking an extra 20mm at the front and not raking the front out, or using a pair of offset bushes.

Also, the reach is 435mm with the 140 fork, which is shortish anyway if you’re 6ft, stick a bigger fork on and it’ll probably take that to 430 /425mm.

I’d say try it with the specced fork length to get the geometry back to normal.

Or…. Get a MRP fork, which is 10mm shorter than most other forms in A2C.

I have a 20mm ride bar with 5mm rise stem so that rises it alotish.

Yeah, you’re running the front end very high then.

Cheapest move is to get a cheap flat bar, that’s wider. That’ll give you more effective reach. Then flip and slam the stem. Even more reach, and lower front end.

I’d then maybe just whack in a load of tokens, and run a few less psi in the fork and add some compression damping. Firm up the front end, and drop it a bit.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Ok, I will get it to 140.
    Jared Graves ran 160 on his but probably got some modified rear linkage to prop it up.

*I might try your short term fix, I got one of the cheap easton carbon ones

chakaping
    Free Member

Flip the stem first off and see if that improves matters.

kimbers

Is the fork diving much, if it’s getting stuck in holes and you are too forwards then maybe needs more compression & tokens, lots of tokens.

Also wider bars just cuz im 5’8 on 780 bars !

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I ran 800 before and was pretty cool and 780’s are cooooler. Probs go wider then. And my fork is diving (Pike), I am running around the middle of the lowspeed so might at more clicks and tokens.

matt_outandabout

It’s a new bike with a new wheel size for you. Of course it’ll feel different.. Get 500 miles ridden and then come back to us!

+1

I’m about 10 rides in, and mines coming good…

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

HaHa I have only been on 5, turns on a dime but just feels weird so hopefully fixing the forks will nail it.

dahedd
    Free Member

I went from an 2007 26″ Stumpjumper to a 2015 29er Stumpjumper. There is a fair difference in geometry & they handle totally differently. The bar’s are much wider & flatter.

Tbh at first I thought if made,a huge mistake going 29″ instead of a 650b but kept at it & now I’d never go back.

I’d give it a month’s riding, you’ll love it.

ceept

I’m struggling to go from a 26″ to 650B.
    A couple of months in & I’ve stopped regretting it at least. Going to 29″ would be a huge jump. You need to give it time and keep at it.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the support, It’s already slashing times on Strava. I’ll give it some months. I thought of going to 650b but from what I have heard now i’ll stick to 29″. I was confused why I wasn’t hitting stuff the same way and taking chicken lines. Guess it is just new. Also I will get my forks to 140 for good measure. 🙂

nairnster
    Free Member

Had to scroll back up to check the name of the OP. Thought it was another Renton thread.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New bike doesn't feel right.’ is closed to new replies.