Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • new bike: Do you buy what you need or what you are attracted to?
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

hi all,

ive got a Scott Octane from 2002, tricked out with Fox Talas, Hope tech’s, Mavic Crossmax etc. it’s a 5.5 dream bike despite being old. anyway, im about to build another with about 3.5k to spend & i know what I want but it differs to what i really need. Do a lot of you buy into fashion over function? I’m in a dilema about this. I ride single track up & down through woods & the longest downhill is about 2 minutes. I’d love to build a Nomad but can I really justify it? overkill but what a thrill!

Tell the truth about your ride, I know we all like trick stuff but I’m no racer, what to do?!?

Kind Regards,

Rob

CHB

I am attracted to what I need. Currently that’s a titanium 29er with alfine/rohloff hub… why well I ride lots of Yorkshire mud and most of it is not through huge rock gardens. Long travel FS bikes are not the best for much of what I ride in UK.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Want a Pitch, live near Swinley……………

loddrik
    Free Member

Unless the bike has enormous tits, I’m not attracted to it.

BadlyWiredDog

I want to tell you a story about a squirrel, a rabbit and a badger. One day they were all sitting in a clearing in the woods when the squirrel piped up – ‘I’m having a dilemma over my nuts’, he said. ‘I just can’t decide which sort to horde.’

The rabbit looked at him blankly. ‘I don’t really see where you’re coming from,’ he said. ‘My opinion on your nuts is neither here nor there. I’m a rabbit not a squirrel and I don’t really understand what the hell you’re going on about’. And with that he left the clearing with a skip and a hop.

Then it was Badger’s turn. He scratched his wise old head, cocked a leg skywards and farted gently. And with that, he too left the clearing.

Squirrel scratched his head. Which was the last thing he ever did as seconds later, a massive meteor crashed into the clearing and obliterated him and around 400 square miles of forest. Does that help?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Unless the bike has enormous tits, I’m not attracted to it.

Considering this is Loddrik, there’s got to be some comedy milage in here somewhere….

HermanShake
    Free Member

BWD cracked it.

The problem is justification, once you appreciate why the (whatever upgrade) is so light/strong/clean/efficient/niche/etc, it seems daft not too.

Before you know it, you have a Ti 29er with a Rohloff hub and view it as ordinary! I totally get why you have it, but I feel it illustrates niche shinyitis quite well. Pics?

OP you should know by now not to ask STWers about whether to upgrade or not…we all suffer the same problem. It’s got to be done 😈

genghispod
    Free Member

I just logged in to comment on this tread with one word – priceless!

RRD
    Free Member

Funnily enough

A couple of years ago I bought my “dream” custom build. Now I consider this too extravagant… Not sure if this is due to where my life is now (less disposable income) or whether I realise my riding cannot justify this kind of build.

racefaceec90

my anthem x2 is all the bike i could wish for (for the type of riding i do),but i am still lusting after a boardman carbon ht pro,and the road equivalent (not that i can afford either 🙂

Wookster

Bit of both really, if you want it and have the money there why not ? nomad it supposed to be an amazing bike! Get a demo and see if it’s all that for you!! Built up an ibis mojo a few years ago and just never got on with it despite all the bling bits. Sold it and currently loving my bfe with slx. So as obvious as it sounds its more than The sum of its parts!! TO be fair for some of what I ride a bfe would be over-biked for some on here
    😆 but who gives a sh%^e what any one says it’s a hobby your are out to enjoy yourself if it makes you happy!!!!

I look forward to seeing the pics……

bol

Bit of both. Just remember what it is about mountain biking that you like, and make sure that the bike you buy plays to that rather than what other people say is important.

robsoctane
    Free Member

thanks everyone, comedy & wise words too, all are very welcome & appreciated. Okay,I would now like to say that a Nomad frame & Cane creek DB is ordered & although I feel guilty about cancelling Rome this year, I will end up at Wor-gate on a bling machine.

will I feel any difference between QR drop outs & 20mm Bolt Through if I’m not a pro? I guess that should have been my real question – can you really feel the difference if you push the bike 50% of what it can take? i ride hard all right but I’ll never honestly ‘send it’ over a 20ft road gap…

Rorschach
    Free Member

😀 @ Bwd.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BWD you owe me a double espresso and milk, and a new keyboard!

Just hit buy on a Pitch, overbiked Swinely mince core here we come!

angryratio
    Free Member

the bike you really need is the one you hav’nt bought yet… probably.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

overbiked Swinely mince core here we come!

TBH, a hybrid commuter with rack and mudguards would cope with most of Swinley.

But it’s all about having fun, surely?

ampthill

I’ve just looked up what a Nomad is. It looks vesatile so I think you’ll be fine

Make a few trips to some where that will allow it to show its veratility…

robsoctane
    Free Member

@ampthill – thanks budd. I need to keep it at around 30lbs for that so need magic wheels I guess.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

BWD 😆

Hmm. Some bikes appeal to kind of riding you do, and some to the kind of riding you aspire to.

The latter is excellent, if it actually makes you get on and do it. But I suspect that many buy big bikes and don’t get proper use out of them, which is kinda sad.

robsoctane
    Free Member

@ Buzz, I do intend to push it as much as I dare but I know it’ll never receive the thrashing it can withstand from me & that was why I firstly questioned it. I’ve ordered it now though…

I know it will inspire me more than my Octane but that’s only because it needs bearing parts that aren’t available anymore – rattle rattle, bendy bike. I love it so but it’s time it goes.

Wookster

Ah may as well put a bolt theoughon it a qr15 is a good bet or a maxel mate you have pushed buy may as well do it properly………. 😆

Fell your pain borrowed a mates bike yesterday for a spin …….just to see………….. Ow working on how to get it past my (very understanding it must be said) wife ESP as a simliar just have a go ride ended up in a CX bike arriving….. 8)

Pieface

For me the bikes and bits I desire are normally what I think are most appropriate for my style of riding.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I brought what i needed,An all day/xc/Trail bike.
    Nicolai AC,Bos Devilles(140mm) and a CCDB.2×10 X0,X0 brakes.XX cassette.Mavic Sx wheels.

Made a very good decision.Love riding it.

Never ridden a Nomad,but think i would look at a Nicolai AM as an alternative to the Nomad.

I also have a Nicolai FR,as a play bike

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s more like I can just afford to replace bits that break or wear out, but got used to a certain quality or something. Bike stuff is bloody pricey! There’s always a hankering for something better, which obviously means more expensive. But I try to consider what I do on my bike, how often I really use it, whether I need all that stuff and whether I’m good enough to use it anyway. Got my bikes just right at the mo’ for me I think. Just need to ride more, find bike buddies, Time. etc. etc. It’s not just about the bike.

sefton
    Free Member

with my head – BUT it has to look the part & have a little niche factor too….suppose some of the components could be called over kill – but hey feels good knowing you have a few dope x0 parts 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘new bike: Do you buy what you need or what you are attracted to?’ is closed to new replies.