Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New bike dilemma (pimpy frame vs bargain full bike)
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

lets just say having ridden again with a large group youve realised what a tank your bike is. And youv’e just earned a sh1t load of overtime and are contemplating getting a nice new bike that is lighter AND has more travel than your old one (a 2004 Coiler in Massey Furguson build).

Option 1 is to still get a bargain full bike, from a mainstream range like Giant

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1731&z=1971

Option 2 is some seriously pimpy frame, with matching fork from a gucci firm, and put the bits (most of them new and good quality) off my bike onto it, like this stunner my current fave looks-wise

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_options.asp?productid=4720&store=mtb

Either option is gonna run to £2K, one is gonna leave me with 2 bikes from mainstream manufacturers and I can change the set up on my kona (or even put the bits on a hardtail frame), the other will leave me with one dream bike, built with some used but quality kit.

Ideas?

markenduro
    Free Member

Option 2 does it for me

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’d go for pimpy frame’n’forks, they’re the bits (IMO) that ‘make’ the bike, all the running kit is going to get replaced as it wears out anyway !!

nickc

What a choice…Ibis and gucci fork just edge for me I reckon. Don’t matter (really) what drivetrain bits are on it (they all need replacing/upgrading eventually anyway) Smart set of wheels will be required though.

Envy…. 🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

Much as I like a bargain, I’d go Option 2

hilldodger
    Free Member

Click to buy, click to buy, click to buy…………

😈

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If it was me then I’d probably go for option 1 since I’d end up with 2 bikes (which is surely better than 1). However, if you know you arent going to use the 2nd bike then it isnt worth having and it will probably make more sense to get the Mojo.

Another thing to ask yourself, no matter how expensive the Ibis is, does it actually ride any better than the Giant? Those Reigns are supposed to be really good Ive heard.

Best bet is test ride since you might fined you like the Reign more than the Mojo and then its a win win.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Open to suggestion?

Chumba VF2 for much cheapness from me 🙂 (only if you buy direct from me at progressive bikes)

richcc
    Free Member

No more threads about the Ibis!! I keep seeing the Stif banner and getting tempted. I’ve never been bothered about FS but that Ibis is doing it for me! Does it come with the shock?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Richcc that’s where he found the Mojo too … having not spoken of buying a bike .. he has his credit card on the table ready when the census is in …… (waits with bated breath).

This was (above post) Mr MC posting .. who only owns one bike!! I own 3 of which one is a Giant Reign 2 which I love!! My answer is hey which do you prefer??

My thoughts to Mr MC were …. would you want the Giant Reign AND the Kona as aren’t they now getting a bit similar. Kona is a tractor for riding around UK, Reign has nearly 7 inches of travel … do you really want that for riding around the UK????

Ibis looks super lush and light, would be great all round for both XC and slightly more (like when we go to Morzine), money isn’t an issue (luckily) and can build it up from nice parts off the Kona!

At the end of the day I’m a chick and would probably pick the bike on the paint job …………..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Si, is your website down ?? (sorry for thread hijack)

[edit] 😳 obviously not 😳

djglover
    Free Member

brodie bikes are marketing that thing quite heavily on their ‘free’ below the line channels!

rj
    Free Member

Giant or Mojo? Is this one of those rhetorical questions.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Pimp the one you already have to within an inch of its life. Coilers rock!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

ibis (2008 reign X0 is another tank)

richcc
    Free Member

“At the end of the day I’m a chick and would probably pick the bike on the paint job ………….. “

and those Ibis paint jobs are really nice – what’s the preferred colour option? I quite like that flo-green

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mr MC’s perferred colour option is the “guinness froth” or whatever it’s called, he has a thing for whiteish bikes! his coiler is a similar colour. I quite like the blue mind!! Think the Ibis is winning, he hasn’t stopped reading reviews and things since …. I think the credit card will be winging it’s way out tonight!

So next question … what forks does he put on it??

ChrisS
    Free Member

I’d go for the mojo, ‘cept they’ve sold out of large…. so I won’t. 🙁

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Option 2 – the bits will wear out eventually opening the way to a fully pimpy bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay now I think Mr MC has picked the frame .. he now has to choose some forks. Looking at something reasonably lightish with 140 mm of travel? Suggestions anyone?

He was looking at these but knows nothing about them:
    Rockshox Revelation 426 dual air: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29870

or Manitou Minute Elite Absolute 140mm
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21348

Your thoughts??

nicko74

Mojo, all the way. After all, with bikes being very much a ‘luxury’ item (as in you buy because you like it, not because you need it), you might as well get a bike that you lust after! 🙂 As long as it rides as well, obviously

steve_b77
    Free Member

RS Revs are top quality bits of kit and look pimp with the maxel-lite fitted.

Lime Green Mojo, white Rev’s 😈

theflatboy
    Free Member

option 2 definitely.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I have the 120mm Minute Absolutes (though without the IT option, which I have heard can be troublesome). Very light, lockout/compression damping is really easy to use on the fly and they look fantastic. Only downside (if you can call it that) is a slight clicking when partially locked out (a fix mentioned over on mtbr.com but I haven’t done anything yet as I can live with it).

peakmonster
    Free Member

Stiff selling 07/08bike frames in limited size and colours. Also they don’t come with 09 foxpr23 which is valved differently for 2009 models. Also no lopes link which is standard on all 2009 bikes. Don’t let them tell u different. Pirates!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

peakmonster thats good to know, but £500 off is still a big factor (nice pair of forks) – how much is a Lopes Link (I had seen them mentioned on mtbr reviews)?

peakmonster
    Free Member

lopes link round about £60 quid. To check frame number to find model year is just above the b/bracket first 2 numbers are year of manufacture, next 2 are model type (i.e.(IM) mojo) last numbers are the indivdual frame number.

eviljim
    Free Member

I am sure you have seen this but his is what an ibis can do.

I would just get fox rc2 with bolt though, with a frame like that you don’t need to go obscure.

bomberman
    Free Member

i wouldnt go for a QR fork on that ibis you’d be seriously under-selling it. If moneys not an option i’d go for a 36 or a new bolt through 32.

PePPeR

I love the look of that Chumba VF2 Mmmm

Daffy

Bolt through DT150s

chakaping
    Free Member

Agree with Buzz – Reign X is a heavy bike. Very different beast to Mojo.

I’d go for option 3, wait for new Giants to come out at end of summer and buy a 2009 Reign in the sales.

I have the 2008 model and I stuggle to imagine how an Ibis would be a big improvement.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

2009 Reign should be good if you can wait.

juiced
    Free Member

why is pimpy better? Surely as long as the bike does the job then thats it 😉

juiced
    Free Member

anyway coilers are nice bikes… just treat that to some new ( non pimpy) but functional bits

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Now you’ve thrown a spanner in the works! Mr MC and I went out today and now he isn’t sure what to do! He loves his Coiler and is wondering whether to pimp it up a bit and get some lighter wheels (for non Morzing!!!). Mmmm thoughts now …….

timwillows
    Free Member

Phew, no Large Mojo, so a tough decision averted 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MMMM he’s still in a dilemma!!! Each day I expect him to come home .. credit card bill in hand with a high month .. not yet!! And I’m encouraging him to buy the bike .. how does that work!?

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d definitely try a Mojo before you buy, I had a ride on one and hated it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New bike dilemma (pimpy frame vs bargain full bike)’ is closed to new replies.