Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • New Bike Day! Gnarpoon content.
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I wasn’t supposed to be getting a new bike for another couple of years but a deal came up and some man maths means it hasn’t really cost me any money. A Patrol was right up there with an Evil Insurgent when I was idly pricing up a bike to buy in the States when I visit my inlaws but Brexit put paid to that idea. Then a great deal from an LBS staffer selling of his old frame to fund a new one and a great deal on some bits means I’ve ended up with this- I’m over the moon with it!

Spec is Pike dual positions, Mavic Crossmax wheels, Chromag bar/stem/saddle, Reverb and full Sram XX1 gearing which will be a novelty after years on Shimano. It doesn’t feel as nice as XT but I’ll see how I get on.

It’s got an angleset in it to bring the head angle to about 63.5.

Looking forward to having a 28.5lb bike to hike-a-bike up mountains again instead of my Commencal which was about 32lb.

km79
    Free Member

Nice! Look forward to some photies of it in action.

ogden
    Free Member

Looks really nice!

JoeG
    Free Member

Needs moar black! 😉

kimbers

nice!, watch the bb threads tho

munrobiker
    Free Member

JoeG- all bikes need moar black!

kimbers- what goes off with the BB threads? I assume that, with it being a Sram BB, it’ll be time to replace it long before it thinks about falling out. Even if that’s only a fortnight. And it’s got to be better than pressfit…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Welcome to the club!

patriotpro
    Free Member

So you have Brexit to thank for it, awesome!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone can thank Brexit for anything. This came in spite of Brexit.

stevied
    Free Member

Your front tyre is on the wrong way round…. 😕

Looks nice thought 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s a Maxxis Shorty, it doesn’t have a direction. Does it? Surely not? 😕 😳

Or are you on about the logos not being on the same side? In which case, I’m over it 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s a Maxxis Shorty, it doesn’t have a direction. Does it? Surely not?

Clearly from an OCD perspective it does.

It’s literally unridable like that.

jim25

Beautiful.

swavis

Nice, welcome to the Transition club 😀

stevied
    Free Member

It’s a Maxxis Shorty, it doesn’t have a direction. Does it? Surely not?

Indeed it is. The front of the knobs are slightly more ramped compared to the backs

kayak23

Lovely. Needs mud.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Indeed it is. The front of the knobs are slightly more ramped compared to the backs

😳

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Is it broken yet? 😉

typer
    Free Member

Welcome to the Patrol club…… nice looking bike 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

you keeping the Stache?

Nice mate! Me likey

buckster
    Free Member

Looks nice that. Gotta be a rocket. 63.5 dh is just da bomb. I did mine recently and it has even made me more attractive to the opposite sex.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Teetosugars- Probably. First ride tomorrow. You should be able to hear the explosion at yours.

Chunky- yes, Stache for local stuff and winter, this for the Peak and big mountains.

blader1611
    Free Member

Cracking bike but you lost points for using the word gnarpoon in the title.

That front mudguard looks like its running closer to the tyre than mine does. I find it irritating as there is always something catching the tyre making it sound like a creaking frame/BB/dragging brake pads.

munrobiker
    Free Member

lost points for using the word gnarpoon in the title.

It wasn’t serious. No one uses it seriously. Do they? Surely not? 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

It wasn’t serious. No one uses it seriously. Do they? Surely not?

Yep. Gnarseholes. 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

😆

Wookster

Oh that is splendid old man splendid

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m teetering on the edge of joining the patrol club. Talk to me people. What’s good, what’s bad, what size for how tall, where are they ridden, what do you do with them? Tell me all!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and went for a large. I haven’t actually ridden one yet but the choice was this or an Orange Five.

Some mates of mine work for some of the mags and rave about the Scout and when I asked them they said definitely get the Patrol. I believe when they first tested the Scout one of their colleagues actually bought one and my friend called it the most fun bike he’d ridden and his favourite bike of the last year. Based on that and one of their experiences with the Patrol it seemed worth a punt.

First ride tomorrow so I’ll report back then but I think it’s meant to be a bit of a slop fest so won’t be that informative.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. About the same height as me. Looking to use it in the Peak District. Torn between scout and patrol (amongst others).

munrobiker
    Free Member

I live in the Peak and a lot of its use will be round here but I also do a lot of big mountains and the Patrol was the better option for that. It’s a tough decision, either would be good and it’d depend very much on your riding style and preferences.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Wall, floor interface needs weeding.

In best T2 voice:

“That’s a nice bicycle.”

wrecker
    Free Member

that is nice. Go get her wet(!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

That 3.5lb will be life changing

😆

sharkattack

I’m teetering on the edge of joining the patrol club….. Tell me all!

Have you seen this?
    LINK

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, I had thanks. I’ll read it again though. Can never do too much research.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers, not sure I’d seen that one.

patriotpro
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    I don’t think anyone can thank Brexit for anything. This came in spite of Brexit.

It hasn’t happened yet. Either way if you look outside of your echo-chamber, you’ll find one or two may disagree.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Day! Gnarpoon content.’ is closed to new replies.