Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • New Bike (darkside content)
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I picked this up the other day, Raleigh Airlite U6 Race with full ultegra 6600, just gotta wait for the wind/rain to reside before I head out on the silly skinny tyres

Mister-P
    Free Member

Your stem appears to be upside down.

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice paint job on those Raleighs.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Those spacers need to go in the bin too.

grumm
    Free Member

What if it fits him with the spacers and stem like that?

Nice bike btw

njee20
    Free Member

Your stem appears to be upside down.

Those spacers need to go in the bin too.

+1

What if it fits him with the spacers and stem like that?

It's still got too many spacers and a stem upside down 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Thanks for the constructive comments, I'm sure stem/spacer arrangements will change as I get used to riding a road bike.

hopster
    Free Member

Who taped the bars? Looks like you can see the clamp.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I re-taped them and forgot to put the little spare bit around the RH shifter, it's the old white one showing through doh! 🙄

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are they MTB pedals on there?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Should have left the white tape on.

oldgit
    Free Member

[What if it fits him with the spacers and stem like that?]

Totally irelavent 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You need more carpet.

oldgit
    Free Member

Steve steve steve, MTB pedals and a bit of bar showing really! someone oughta go round there, pull his pants down and smack his bum.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Those spacers 😯 looks like it needs a shopping basket.Nice looking bike though and if the set up suits you fair enough.

Coleman
    Free Member

Good effort though – cranks level, on big ring and valves at 6.30!

Looks good, enjoy. Nice to see the Raleigh logo on decent bikes again

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup MTB pedals to go with the MTB shoes I'll be using as I don't want yet another pair of SPD shoes.

Didn't like the white tape, and it was too short on the top of the bars so it needed re-taping (all be-it a semi half-arsed job), might try and peel the tape off and re-do it.

flip
    Free Member

Your backs gonna hurt when them spacers have gone, is it the right size? 😐

wwaswas

is it a carbon steerer?

Think they often have a limit on spacer height on them?

radoggair
    Free Member

your door frame needs redone as well

steve_b77
    Free Member

Flip,

It's the right size, I was fitted on a Jig in one shop and then bought this OTP in another as it was much cheaper, cheeky I know but hey there's a credit crunch on.

wwaswas ->The spacers may stay, I don't actually know if it's got a carbon steerer, but thats how it came form the shop and it feels nice to ride.

ourmaninthenorth

Your backs gonna hurt when them spacers have gone, is it the right size?

On first viewing, that's what I thought.

However, it's evident that the headtube, as with so many bikes these days, is too short for the size of the frame.

That said, the pointing down of the saddle is a fail, as is not knowing how to re-tape the bars succesfully without using the extra bits of tape… 😉

Ace looking bike – scho the comments about it being nice to see the Raleigh name on a decent looking machine again. Good choice, sir! 😀

crikey
    Free Member

It's not the right size!
    If that size was recommended by a fit, then the fit was a pile of poo.

You've got a riser stem and 3 inches of spacers; that means you need a longer headtube….

Sorry.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It would appear to be a carbon steerer with some kinda head doctor in place.

The tape thing is slightly bugging me now, may have to make it better!

The saddle has had a spirit level on it and points slightly down, about 1deg below horizontal, I have my MTB saddles set liek this so it's a starting point.

ourmaninthenorth

Steve – you will be forgiven, so long as (a) you never use the phrase "darkside" again (even in jest) and (b) you stick some raceblades on it and take it out all winter.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Saddle angle is probably just the photo.

I'm sure you'll flip the stem when you've got used to the position. I use about half that number of spacers, but then I have a longer headtube.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crikey -> I don't know what you tell yor missus 3" is but it certainly isn't whats under the stem 😆 😉 thats 1.75" of spacers there.

The next size up felt huge, way too stretched to the point where the front axel was about an inch (a proper inch) behind the handle bars when viewed from the drops.

My ride position is quite upright at the moment until I get used to the different ride position between road and mountian bikes.

Saying that I don't know why I'm trying to justify the bike I bought and it being the correct size to someone who has never even seen me, but hey thats t'internet for ya 😆

Coleman
    Free Member

" the pointing down of the saddle is a fail "

That's a bit harsh ourman, I think it's within acceptable limits. After all we are not all the same size or shape. Ooer missus! 😯

ourmaninthenorth

That's a bit harsh ourman, I think it's within acceptable limits. After all we are not all the same size or shape. Ooer missus!

Leave Mrs North out of this…! 😯

OK, but I know from experience that a downward facing saddle on a road bike (even by an apparently imperceptible amount) seems to place disproportionate pressure on the hands and perineum.

Steve – you'll quickly become used to the stretched out feeling. I remember my first road bike which, after riding MTBs, felt uncontrollably long. Now I realise it's actually too short.

The height differential between saddle and bar tops – on what is evidently a slightly misleading photo – doesn't look far off where you'll want to stay for comfort.

Ultegra 6600 is what I run – not as "positive" in the shift as Campag, but so smooth and light.

Enjoy!

crikey
    Free Member

The next size up felt huge, way too stretched to the point where the front axel was about an inch (a proper inch) behind the handle bars when viewed from the drops.

My ride position is quite upright at the moment until I get used to the different ride position between road and mountian bikes.

You've gone for the smaller option because you're used to a mountain bike and are trying to replicate the feel, but it's still too small…

Anyway, enjoy. 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Your plug sockets are to low, your buggered if you have a flood, and you should of redecorated before you bought the bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member
    Your plug sockets are to low, your buggered if you have a flood, and you should of redecorated before you bought the bike.

Flood, at the top of a slightly sloping road, I'll be fine.

Decorate – pah, it's nearenough outside as it's in the conservatory 😆

grumm
    Free Member

White tape is a stupid idea anyway – looks pimp until you actually take your bike out for a ride.

andrewy

Decorate – pah, it's nearenough outside as it's in the conservatory

I'm glad to see you have your priorities right 😀

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

gotta wait for the wind/rain to reside before I head out on the silly skinny tyres

No. No you don't. You don't even have to wait for daylight.

And as above: If you've got to do that to your stem/steerer, you've bought the wrong sized/shaped bike for your body.

And another thing: I thought compact chainsets only came in pink?

That all said, get out on it ASAP and enjoy 🙂

Philby

Looks great – nice to see Raleigh doing good looking bikes with decent kit on them.

flip
    Free Member

I hear Raleigh have their own road team for 2010 😛

I still don't think it's the right size 😥

warton
    Free Member

is that a compact crankset? MTFU

Nice bike though

mcboo
    Free Member

Very nice, I didnt know Raleigh were doing proper grown up bikes again.

I got into road cycling this summer, refused to get road shoes for a while too but relented and glad I did. Road shows are much stiffer, and I got really sore feet in MTB shoes…..the soles are way too flexy and the pedals too wee. You dont notice at first but after a couple of hours…..

warton
    Free Member

yeah,and road pedals are bigger (well my looks are anyway) spreading the pressure a bit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New Bike (darkside content)’ is closed to new replies.