Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New bike – ?Canyon
  • legolam
    Free Member

So, instead of going out in the rain for my first ever night ride, I’ve spent my evening looking for a new bike online ( 😳 ).

I currently have a rapidly disintegrating 2010 Trek 6300 hardtail. My main issues with it are: the frame is too big (16.5″), I can’t stand the Avid Juicy 3 brakes, I keep bottoming out the fork (100mm travel), and it’s far too heavy (~14kg with flat pedals). I also feel like I’ve outgrown the hardtail a little – I’ve learnt a lot on it but I’m now being left behind by friends on full suss’s.

My riding is firmly in the XC category. I don’t mind getting my wheels off the ground, but only an inch or two at most. I’m not keen on sacrificing climbing capability but would like something that gives me a little more confidence going down than the hardtail, especially on small drops.

So, I’ve been looking on the Canyon site, and they have an XS 2012 Nerve XC for under £1500 that looks the business. Does anyone have any opinions on whether this will suit me and be an appropriate step up from my current bike? Also, does anyone know if the XS is the right size (165cm tall female, shortish legs for my height)?

Thanks!

matther01
    Free Member

Looks a very good bike for the money. I think they have some kind of height, leg, arm length chart to help you decide what size you need.

It will change your riding, probably giving you more confidence in the rougher stuff, it did for me…but after time you’ll come full circle and also want a hardtail again!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well I’ve got a Nerve XC and it’s the best bike I own.

I’d say the Nerve XC is a great “trail / xc” bike. Loves rough stuff, jumps. Climbs very well – but its still built burlier than an outright xc bike (still lighter than your hardtail though!?).

Also it is unbelievably comfortable on long rides!

I’ve only got a few full sussers to compare to and one “outright” XC full-susser – in my case an ASR-SL (although its well old) I’d go so far as to say ASR feels faster / easier on climbs but gets out of its depth quicker downhill.

So – for me – a Nerve is brilliant! For you: well that’s up to your priorities. There are lighter bikes. Also, cheaper, dearer, etc. But as an all rounder: A++

btw – I found the Canyon sizing spot on (5’10” = medium).

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you have the money and the bike looks like it will take your measurements then spend it. It will be fun to ride if nothing else. Also, if your current bike is 14kg + then the nerve will beat it for weight by nearly 2kg. I doubt you’ll be compromising your climbing ability with it.

legolam
    Free Member

It’s the Nerve XC 8.0 W that I’m looking at. Does anyone know how much travel it has front and back? The website isn’t that clear. The fork is a Fox 32 Float FIT Performance, and the rear shock is Fox Float Performance RP2 Boost Valve XV.

The sizing chart put me into the XS size, but I’m unsure if that’ll still be a bit big for me.

120mm front and back

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

They are 120/120.

Note they come with longish stems so you can easily knock an inch off the length.

You’re around 5’5″ for us old timers?

Hopefully someone with a s / xs will chip in.

legolam
    Free Member

Yup 5’5″ on the dot.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The website tool thingo goes solely by standover clearance. You can put any torso measurement in but soon as you fiddle the inseam length then it’s game over.

alpin
    Free Member

yup… was looking at these for the GF. very good VFM and the one you are looking at (assuming i’ve found the one you mean) even more so.

ended up with a Boardman FS in the end as i got another 150quid off the 1k RRP. also a great bike. she’s about 5’6″ and with a short stem it fits perfectly.

P20

So, instead of going out in the rain for my first ever night ride

Due to various reasons no one made it out tonight. Chris bought one of the Canyon Nerve and it completely transformed his riding. He went from a £400 hardrock to it. Much, much faster, happier more confident rider.

boxelder

Aren’t they called a Nerve Al now?

You’ll love it – and won’t find better value.

Got my wife a SH full sus Kona, which got her back into riding post kiddlies.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Aren’t they called a Nerve Al now?

2013 are – but nobody will have one yet? Otherwise there’s the “outlet” with some ’12 bargains.

legolam
    Free Member

Due to various reasons no one made it out tonight.

And there I was feeling all guilty and wimpy because I’d bailed due to a bit of rain!

chris_db
    Free Member

I got a 2012 Nerve AM – fantastic bike – can’t fault it and I can’t wait to get out on it.

legolam
    Free Member

Thank you for all your advice – I eventually bit the bullet and bought the XS Canyon Nerve XC 8W.

I went out on it for the first time today and it was AWESOME! It’s lighter than my hardtail (weighs in at 12.5kg, which I know isn’t that light but the hardtail was 14kg!), and it fits so much better. I wouldn’t like to be much shorter though – it fits me perfectly at 165cm/5 foot 5 but I think smaller ladies would struggle. The brakes aren’t Avid as well, which is nice.

I’ve switched the Rocket Rons for the Maxxis Advantages that were on my other bike, and the saddle will have to go as I don’t think I’ve ever sat on anything so uncomfortable (no sniggering at the back!). Other than that, I think it’s pretty much perfect!

Here’s what it looked like after I’d built it and ridden it around the kitchen island:
    [/url] I got a new bike! by Legolam, on Flickr[/img]

It’s muddier now!

postierich
    Free Member

That was a quick delivery! nice bike btw

andypaul99
    Free Member

Nice bike, got a Yellowstone 6.9 29er on order can’t wait 🙂
    The value of these bikes is amazing, I couldn’t get close with any of the big brands

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Good work! Really happy with my Canyon. Not found a compelling reason yet to make me regret not paying the big-brand tax

legolam
    Free Member

I was impressed by the delivery time too! I ordered it late on Sunday 28th Oct, and it was with me by 10am on Thursday 1st Nov! And that was despite my credit card being refused first time around (my bank obviously don’t realise that I spend large sums of money with German bike shops…)

postierich
    Free Member

watch out for cable rub under the BB! it will cause damage,only need a dropper seatpost now for a great all round xc bike

matther01
    Free Member

Looks realy good and the spec is pretty amazing. Need to get the wife one…after I figure how to get her to take up cycling!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New bike – ?Canyon’ is closed to new replies.