Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New bike ( cannondale ) advice needed please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

After continually reading the thread on the Triggers I’ve noticed that there is a 29er Scalpel for sale as well on the website. I’m very interested in one as an all round trail bike, I don’t want or need the 140mm of the Trigger or the weight , and would like some advice as to whether this is a good idea or not. Thanks.

dogthomson

Buy both!? 😀

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ha ha I’ve already had an expensive Xmas ! Surely someone on here rides a scalpel for their go to trail bike ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rsvktm

Test rode a 29 scalpel a couple of years back on a demo day in Dalby, was the top of the range bling version. Very capable and fast, I was looking into one as more of a race bike but ended up with a Trek FS superfly due to getting a good deal.
    Depends what you want from a trail bike ? My Trek is of a similar type to the scalpel and I’ve used it in all sorts of situations from short xc races, marathon events to holidays in Scotland and Wales and had no issues. However whilst I can certainly go quickly round trail centres etc on it, if I’m not in the mood and take liberties it can bite.. Not quite the easy going nature that a longer travel slacker bike has. Wheels and tyres make a huge difference though as very sensitive to set up.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks much appreciated. I’ve Googled eveywhere and can’t seem to find if its a suitable trail bike for say forest trails and a little bit of trail centre now and then. It’s the negative rise stem and flat bars that worry me most as I’m all riser bars nowadays.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a Scalpel (a mates) and whilst its a VERY good XC race bike, it wouldn’t be first out the garage for trail centers and the like if I had one. I ride an 80mm FS 29er and whilst it’s quick (even with me on it) its a nightmare to set up the suspension to work in an effective manner because there’s bugger all there to play with. If I wasn’t racing, I’d have something with more travel so I can have a decent amount of sag and actually feel like its doing something.

Garry_Lager

I’ve not ridden the 29er scalpel, but owned a couple of 26 ones a while back – they were surprisingly versatile for race bikes, pretty comfy on longer rides. Tough to handle over difficult stuff, though – really kept you on your toes. 29er will be a different bike, so it’s quite possible that it’s evolved into more of an all-rounder. Kind of doubt it, though.

In any case, you can adjust the DYAD shock to a low travel setting on the trigger, which is a superb feature. You could just keep 140 for the real rough stuff.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have thought about that on the trigger but it’s the weight that puts me off. I don’t seem to enjoy riding bikes as much that weigh north of 30lbs. I’m not sure if they ride lighter but I doubt it.

Garry_Lager

Price on that scalpel 3 is tasty, like. Be tempted to get it and just ride it as she comes.

If you want a safer bet then that anthem 29er they have on for £1500 is an absolute boss for general UK riding. Happy on anything but the steepest stuff. It doesn’t have the panache of the scalpel, though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New bike ( cannondale ) advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.