Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New bike but different tyres than advertised??
  • johnc15
    Free Member

Hi all new user to the forum, I recently bought a new Giant Anthem X29er 2 that is supposed to come with tubeless ready racing ralphs, however i got the bike today and it came with bog standard non tubeless crossmarks. I’ve had crossmarks before and didnt like them at all. Not very happy should i return the bike, do i have a case to argue the toss and get them to send me the tyres that should come with the bike and the ones that were advertised. I also didnt get a hand book and got a crappy cheap pump, thought you got a Rock Shox one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Specification is subkect to change” usually.

Feel free to kick up a fuss tho, may get you somewhere.

druidh
    Free Member

I think all manufacturers have a disclaimer to the effect that specifications change.

johnc15
    Free Member

I cant see that it says that anywhere, had a quick look on google and not one result where it says they come with crossmarks. I havent even put the handlebars on it yet

steezysix
    Free Member

Beware the words “specifications subject change without notice” – just about every bike company will have this written somewhere! No harm in kicking up a bit of a fuss though if you’ve got the time and energy.

P.s. I got a Rockshox pump with my new forks, and you’re not missing much, bloody thing didn’t even work!

JoB
    Free Member

directly under the picture of the Giant Anthem X29er on the Giant website

“The specifications chart below represents the MOST CURRENT information available, superseding any printed or PDF formatted information. Specifications and price are subject to change without notice.”

but have a **polite** word, you never know

johnc15
    Free Member

all the ones that i have seen have all had racing ralphs

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Assuming it was sourced online then?

You can try but most likely it will cost you more in postage to rectify it.

You should get an owners manual though, it will normally carry the warranty details

geoffj

Mmm so if they fitted (say) an SLX rear mech rather than the XT one on the spec sheet, would that be acceptable?

cynic-al
    Free Member

who is “they”?

Giant – yes

LBS – no.

geoffj

The point is that there have to be some boundaries or the ‘spec subject to change’ disclaimer could be used unscrupulously.

johnc15
    Free Member

Mmm so if they fitted (say) an SLX rear mech rather than the XT one on the spec sheet, would that be acceptable?

That was exactly what i was thinking, it bothers me more that the tyres advertised are tubeless and the ones i got aren’t

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you tried calling them? (sounds silly I know)

My point above was more that if you buy in person in a shop, when the bike arrives you can point these things out and deal with it there and then and if needed walk away.

Call them in the morning and see what they say. Never ask never know.

johnc15
    Free Member

Yeah I will call them in the morning, i know it sound silly but it should be like for like not inferior. Does the warranty card have frames serial number on it also?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not normally, that will probably be on the BB area. Most warranty registration in online but there is info in the book along with H+S disclaimers.

johnc15
    Free Member

Yeah definitely want a manual

FuzzyWuzzy

Your protection is you can send it back under distance selling regs (more useful if they’d say changed the fork to a rigid model :p ) as that protects against stuff like this where you can’t see exactly what you’re buying until you’ve already bought it. Personally I’d ask them for a big discount off the tyres you actually want (and the user manual).

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Your contract isn’t with Giant, it’s with Swinnertons. Surely when you ordered the bike they should have made you aware of any changes to the spec of the bike you were buying. As far as I’m aware “subject to change” means if they change a component it should be changed for a similar quality component. There’s a big difference between tubless ready RR and bog standard Crossmarks.

I would have thought at the very least they should have made you aware and sold you the bike at a reduced price!

arcoolc
    Free Member

It does say on the Giant site that spec is subject to change, but you’d think that wouldn’t go as far as non-tubless when tubless are in the spec list.

Certainly worth a call to the supplying shop/site to see what they say.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Last years Anthem X 29er came as standard with Crossmark tyres.

Maybe they have a stock of tyres lying around that they want to get rid of??

Damn right to kick off (in a polite way of course) Tubeless is a selling point, IMO they can’t change them as much as they can’t change the frame despite that disclaimer. Legally I’m sure they can do what they want, as can you when you return it for a full refund so they will bend over backwards to put that diamond white smile back on your face

Do it and come back with the results

On, and welcome to the forum. Some very funny lads on here

druidh
    Free Member

As IR says, Distance Selling Regulations give you the right to return the bike for a full refund. Mention this to Swinnertons and see if they will reach compromise with you.

MarkyG82

on the back of funkyduncs comment, be sure they haven’t fobbed you off with last years model.

kayak23

My Ex bought an ex-demo bike from Glentress bike shop that she had hired for the demo day. She loved it and how it rode and all the bits fitted to it including some nice pink Gusset pedals.
    She agreed a price and bought the bike that day on the understanding that it would be released when it had, had its minimum hire-outs which wouldn’t be too much longer.

When she got the bike a few weeks later, it came with some carppy old and knackered DMR V8 pedals all scratched and generally hideous.

When we took issue with it we were met with an extremely disagreeable, rude and obstinate bloke from the shop who essentially told us we should accept spec change as we had got a good deal on the bike…
    We HAD got a good deal on the bike…..as it was when we agreed to buy it, but surely its sold as seen…

Anyway, gave up complaining as he was obviously a tool of the highest order..
    Shame though, as it tarnished an otherwise happy experience for her.

I think you should kick up a fuss defo.

mrdestructo

Ring and explain that tubeless tyres are 1) a selling point, and 2) considered more valuable that the tyres supplied.

Your deal is with the point of sale at the moment, for the first 12 months of warranty, and time given for distance selling regulations (if you got it mail order) and any other regulations on their website you ordered through.

I note in the Terms and Conditions they state:

“This site is provided on an “”as is”” and “”as available”” basis. No representations or warranties of any kind are made, express or implied, as to the operation of this site or the information, content, materials, or products included on this site. You expressly agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk.”

This is horrifying to me. Using the site at “my” risk? Not their’s, under UK laws?

Must be why they think that you are responsible for any COSHH issues with returning the “goos” to them.

wrecker
    Free Member

“would you like to replace the tyres or would you like the bike back?”
    All very polite. The shop knows your stat rights (full refund in 7 days) and won’t want to lose the sale for the sake of tyres. Don’t let them **** you around but remain polite.

geoffj

To add a bit of balance, whenever I’ve dealt with Swinnertons, they have always provided a decent service – even when a particularly awkward customer couldn’t decide which size bike he actually needed 😳

diawl2
    Free Member

Quite frankly I’m amazed at ‘I haven’t even put the handlebars on yet’. Having dealt with Giant in the past, I’d be interested if they know that Swinnertons are shipping bikes straight out unassembled. As above, distance selling regs FTW. Also, someone might have accidentally taken the RS pump out of the box and accidentally put it on the shelf in the shop and accidentally replaced it with a no name one.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Also, someone might have accidentally taken the RS pump out of the box and accidentally put it on the shelf in the shop and accidentally replaced it with a no name one.”

I got an Anthem last year, and it only came with a no name pump, does the job though better than the named one I already have.

legend
    Free Member

This just strikes me as one of the risks of buying mail order. If it was from a shop you just wouldn’t hand over the cash, but buying unseen leaves you exposed to the likes of spec changes

Had a mate that had the spec of brakes on his bike changed – went from SLX to Saint, he wasn’t too upset funnily enough

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

No need to “kick up a fuss” but a need to “ask nicely”.

robowns
    Free Member

Is it just me or does it not actually say they are tubeless?

Yes the tyres are the EVO TL ready version, ie only marginally more expensive than folding crossmarks, but where does it say you were due to get a full tubeless set-up?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Will the distance regs cover the cost of you sending the bike back?

robowns – Member
    Is it just me or does it not actually say they are tubeless?

Johnc15, it doesn’t say tubeless as robowns has pointed out. I have a ust racing ralph on the back wheel and the pic from the shop you bought the bike from has no (yellow) tubeless icon

Sorted – unless i’m missing something

double post

FuzzyWuzzy

It says TL Ready on the description which is Schwalbe’s way of saying tubeless ready… the OP wasn’t expecting them already sorted with sealant, just the right tyres so he could do it himself (at least that’s how I read his post).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How did you get on then ?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New bike but different tyres than advertised??’ is closed to new replies.