• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Bike Build – Transition Scout with a twist
  • neallyman
    Free Member

Thought I’d do something a wee bit different.
    Transition scout with 650b plus front end.

Still need to wait on the reverb arriving, bit when it does it will be complete. Will hopefully get a ride on it next weekend.

Have gone for 140mm Fox 34 forks, I’ve kept the front end low at the stem to negate teh additional axle to crown height and the front end height seems ok. I’ve got a single set of offset bushes coming as well to drop the BB by 5mm which will get it back close to where it should be.

Here’s some pictures

sheck

Looks fun

Presume that’s a Boost 29 fork given the copious clearance?

pickle
    Free Member

Looks cool mate 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Del

moss wants sorting out and the garage looks like it could do with a tidy.

😉

what is the frame built for – wheel size?
    how much did the bits set you back? boost front?

RustyNissanPrairie

so take one rag-able, manual-able, chuckable bike, spoil it by adding some useless and not needed fashion/marketing led front tyre, bodge the rest of the geometry back to where it should be by an offset bushing and spend more money by achieving this?
    I’m out.

neallyman
    Free Member

Sheck – fork is a 27.5 plus (boost) specific fork. Got it from from Mojo via the guys at Pedals in Edinburgh.

Del – garden (and moss!) doesn’t get tackled until the clocks change. No garden maintenance happening in the winter months. 🙂

The frame is a 650b frame. Not sure on costs but somewhere in the £2.5 to £3k range.

Rusty Prairie – away and boil yer heid! Only joking 😀 nothing that has been done is irreversible. I’ve got other ‘standard’ pikes I can stick on and a standard wheel if it happens to be an unridable mess. But I don’t think it will be. I think it will be ace, the geometry alterations are very subtle – I’ve had the tape measure out!

monkeyboyjc

Why not just buy a frame that can take a 27.5+ tyre as well?

chiefgrooveguru

Do you remember the days when we used to run a slightly skinnier rear tyre and a slightly fatter front tyre? But there wasn’t a special word for the bigger tyre! 😉

According to Ibis the sagged rolling radius is no different between 2.3 and 2.8 tyres due to the lower pressures in the latter. Just the extra fork A-C to consider.

I suspect it’ll be great! I’d leave the offset bushing out for now as that’ll slacken the angles even further and the BB is low anyway. Had you noticed the current Liteville and Foes bikes before you did this?

neallyman
    Free Member

There really aren’t many frame only options for building a 650b plus bike. Certainly nothing that floated my boat, and was available. But I really liked the look of these new school transition frames. And as mentioned above, I can easily put it back to ‘standard’ if need be.

neallyman
    Free Member

Chiefgrooveguru – yes, absolutely, I thought of the liteville concept a bit before doing this. The geo really isn’t particularly extreme. The front end is actually lower than my canyon strive cf. apparently some of the guys at transition run these farms with 160mm forks, which also influenced my thinking.

Re the offset bushing, yeah you’re right. I’ll just see how it goes but it will only be worth 5mm on the BB and half a degree on the head angle, so again not overly extreme as an adjustment.

variflex
    Free Member

Hmmm, bit strange….wouldnt a smuggler have been a better idea if you wanted 650b+ and a transition? That way you could get a 2.8 in the back.

poah
    Free Member

why?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Build – Transition Scout with a twist’ is closed to new replies.