Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • New bike build- Salsa Horsethief
  • crazybaboon

Just finished, looks tiny!
    I’m 6’4 with very long legs, I’ve had to put loads of stem spacers, riser bar and a 10 degree stem on and I’ve still got quite a drop to the bars,
    I can understand short head tubes on 29ers, but surely 22 inch frames should be bigger, if you ride a 22 you must be pretty big!
    I was hoping having a 120mm fork on would raise the front end enough, but obversely not!

[/url] Untitled by 71crazybaboon, on Flickr[/img]

superfli
    Free Member

Lovely frames them. I test rode one the other day, felt very quick and supple for a 120 mm. enjoy

smiff
    Free Member

Hope make a 25deg rise stem, try that? works well for me. thomson only 10 or 0 i think.
    edit: looks like you’re thomson matching so i guess you won’t want to do that :p
    edit2: hi Dave 🙂

zippykona

Is that really a 29? The wheels look tiny!

druidh
    Free Member

I’d be very worried about that seatpost not reaching to below the actual top-tube/seat-tube junction.

wwaswas

I’d be very worried about that seatpost not reaching to below the actual top-tube/seat-tube junction.

me too – it ought to be down to nearly where the seat stays cross the seat tube really.

argyle
    Free Member

why did you buy it if it doesn’t really fit?

crazybaboon

I’d need a 1000mm seat post to reach that far!
    It looks worst in the pic than it really is, there’s a fair bit past the min mark on the seat post, I can even run my Joplin with a inch more pass the mark, on a XL trek fuel ex it was out past the min mark!

crazybaboon

It does fit, the top tube is spot on!
    The curse of long legs, get any thing bigger like a turner xxl and the top tube is far to long!

wwaswas

it’s not about the seatpost min insertion really, it’s the frame design. If the seatpost isn’;t below the top tube the frame won’t last.

I’d email Salsa and show them where the seatpost goes down to and see what they say.

If they’re happy then you’ve got a warranty etc and it’s all good.

BillOddie

You are Yao Ming and I claim my 5 pounds.

druidh
    Free Member

crazybaboon – Member
    It does fit, the top tube is spot on!
    The curse of long legs, get any thing bigger like a turner xxl and the top tube is far to long!

Sorry – but it only fits if it fits you in more than one direction.

packer
    Free Member

get any thing bigger like a turner xxl and the top tube is far to long!

Do that and run a shorter stem would seem like a better idea to me.

crazybaboon

It’s the longest seat tube I’ve ever had since I started riding in 1988, I’ve never broken a seat tube on any bike
    I’ve got a swift and a scandal 29 er both with more seat post showing.

argyle
    Free Member

for once druidh speaks sense 🙂

wwaswas

I’ve got a swift and a scandal 29 er both with more seat post showing.

but they don’t have such radically dropped top tubes?

ask salsa, see what they say – you’ve nothing to lose by asking?

simonm
    Free Member

you can run up to 140 forks on those can’t you ?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

for once druidh speaks sense

It had to happen sometime 😀

MrTall
    Free Member

I was looking at getting a Horsethief in the 22″ if my current Salsa Big Mama turns out to have a crack in it (it may be just the paint).

However, seeing yours i’d be very wary of the seatpost as others here have mentioned. I really don’t like frames with the brace from top tube to seat tube as at my height standover is not a problem for me. The Big Mama has a curved top tube but no brace. I was hoping it was cracked as i’d get a warranty replacement but now i’m king of hoping it isn’t!
    Having said that, i know from experience that bikes in our sizes don’t always come out well in pictures and are far better looking in the flesh.

I have a similar problem with my Kona Honzo as it’s a 20″L so top tube is perfect but seat tube is a tad small although it’s ok with a standard top tube and Thomson at max extension (base just covers the seatbe/top tube join).

Your headtube should be longer but the fashion is short as possible these days. Wanna borrow the 220mm one off my Fargo….. 😉

If it rides better than my Big Mama though you’ll still be happy, i’m a big Salsa fan.

crazybaboon

It looks much better in real life, only the amount of spacers look bad.
    There is a goof bit of post in the frame! Even the Joplin which is 20mm shorter is way below the min mark
    I can’t ride it at the moment as recovering from a busted shoulder, hopefully I may be able to lower the front end or try a different stem on it.
    At the momemt I’ve set the bars the same as my other bikes, but the Horsethief is running a longer fork so thing could change!
    Could be a excuse to bu a Fox 34!
    I’d love to borrow your 220 Fargo head tube MrTall!

shinsplints

Steve, the Honzo did look perfect for walking with last time I saw you 😉

rootes1

does look too small – perhaps it is the headtube as the geo sayas seat tube c-t is the same on that as my xl swift

pjm84
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 4in and ride a 22in Radon 29er HT. I wanted my bars lower but ended putting them up 10mm to prevent damage to the top tube in a crash. Centre of bar end to ground is about 970mm. Saddle top to centre of BB is circa 820mm.

I’m also looking at a Horsethief in 22in so curious to know what sort of dimensions you got there. I must be a short 6ft 4in.

crazybaboon

Long legs!
    Seat height of 870mm
    Theres only 260mm of seat post showing, 160mm in the frame, I bet most people riding small framed hardcore hard tails have more post showing, it looks much better than it looks in the picture

yunki
    Free Member

I bet most people riding small framed hardcore hard tails have more post showing

you’re missing the point though.. on those little hardtails the seatpost will still be inserted past the point where the top tube meets the seat tube

rootes1

Seat height of 870mm

That ground to top of saddle surface?

STATO
    Free Member

it’s not about the seatpost min insertion really, it’s the frame design. If the seatpost isn’;t below the top tube the frame won’t last.

I’d email Salsa and show them where the seatpost goes down to and see what they say.

Ive emailed salsa in the past about using a seatpost shim in my spearfish (similar design). They said as long as it was an purpose made shim (not a bodge coke can etc.) then it was fine and would be covered under warrenty. SO, as most shims are only 75-100mm long i think your fine not getting the seatpost all the way down the frame.

STATO
    Free Member

Also, I think you’ll have to accept that no bike will suit you if your all legs. Im 6ft4 and my bb-saddle is 31″/790mm ish.

crazybaboon

Salsa say to have 100mm in the frame, I’ve got 160mm in the frame, it comes to the top of the top tube so should be good!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I don’t believe theres a hidden 160mm of thompson post in there!

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one, 22 inch. Im 6ft3.

I’ve kept the steerer long just in case.

I’m running rockshox revelations with a 2 step. 120 to 140 travel on the move.

To be honest I didn’t really feel a big difference in the geometry but it was far better on the downhills.

I run a 21 inch scandal too and its a similar size but the horsethief has a lot longer wheelbase due to the head angle.

I’ve only had one ride but I like it but I guess time will tell.

damascus
    Free Member

3 months later my review is:

Not the best bike I’ve ever ridden up hill, I’ve had better climbing bikes but downhill it is by far the best bike I’ve been on. I am so much quicker on the hohorsethief, the bike feels stable, must be the long rear stays. I do enjoy riding it, I just have so much confidence in it.

I changed the rear cassette from a 32 to a 34 to help with climbing.

The direct front mount has kept the gears running great.

The rear end tends to get clogged when its really muddy between the back wheel and the frontmech where the frame brace is.

Also the bushing has gone in the linkage somewhere, I can’t find it as its only a slight movement but I have hammered it in its defence. So far 8 out of 10, maybe even a 9.

damascus
    Free Member

It was the bushing on the shock. Cost £4 to replace. In the salsas defence these are fox parts.

When I put it back together I still had some movement. This was the bottom bearing that had worked its self loose. To tighten it, you have to remove the crank. since it was nipped up its been fine.

The other issue I had was when I removed the bottom bracket for some maintenance loads of water poured out. It seems water can get in but can’t get out. Thankfully its a ceramic bb so it didn’t rust.

damascus
    Free Member

damascus
    Free Member

Just got back from antor stiniog in Wales, a downhill day. The bike was awesome. Handled everything that was thrown at it. I was quicker on the salsa than on my gt sanction 160mm travel.

Its not as sharp in the corners as its so long but it doesnt slow down on the rough stuff and roll and rolls.

My overall impression is that its not the fastest climber but it does climb if you drop the forks to 120. Downhill is what it is made for, so much fun.

For an XL 29er it comes in at less than 31 pounds so its responsive.

I’m really happy with it and I am growing to like the green. The new model is black and has a bottle cage.

Wookster

I like the look of these!! From what Ive read on line the new one has been tweaked a bit to get it to go up hill better?

swavis

I liked the look of these too but went for a Transition Bandit 29 instead and have been really impressed.
    Lovely bikes Salsa’s though, I have a Mukluk and it’s sooo much fun 😀

damascus
    Free Member

From what I can tell the down tube is different so it can accommodate a bottle cage.

Has it also changed the angle?

damascus
    Free Member

I found out why its retaining water in the bottom bracket.

I covered the drain hole with helitape! Lol

damascus
    Free Member

This is the old style

This is the new style

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New bike build- Salsa Horsethief’ is closed to new replies.