Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New bike build, fox 34 or pike? Real world review
  • tony07
    Free Member

Looking at building up a new Orange five.

Any real world comparisons of the new 34 vs the pikes?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Ive ridden both a fair bit and would go the new 2016 34’s all day. Better damped, full lockout and seem much smoother on the initial compression.

Lighter than pikes too!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

What travel?

tony07
    Free Member

140mm I was planning

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I think you’d be happy with both but 140 Go Fox (not Talas) 150/160 go Pike 160+ fox 36 or Lyric.

tony07
    Free Member

Sounds like the 34 could be the one. Cheers guys

lucky7500

I’ve got 160 Pikes on my Spitfire and 140 2016 fox 34s on the TransAM. The Pikes are fantastic at taking big hits, soaking up drops, roots, steps etc and I really can’t fault them while I’m riding. However, the fox 34s do certainly seem to have much smoother damping and more predictable compression. I’d. Love to try them in 160 travel.

shipton47
    Free Member

Ive got fox float 160 34’sand the wife has pikes both 2016 models, I much prefer the fox and the wife is getting a set of fox’s to replace her pikes. Just find them smoother, nut both are nice

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you looking at the top-end 34?

That seems very good, but otherwise I’d go for the Pike.

I’d probably go Pike if it was cheaper TBH.

jonnym92

Appreciate you’re talking about the 2016 34s, but I swapped my 2014 Fox 34s 140mm to some Pike 140mm and the difference is huge! I never got on with those 34s..

mmannerr

Not to forget that there are multiple options for tuning Pike / Charger damper and several tuning options for Fox forks too. After tuning any of them should be fine.

tony07
    Free Member

Yes it’s the top end factory 34 with fit 4 damper that orange seem to be stocking on their builds, or the pike rct3 solo air.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had some older 34’s tuned by Mojo which were OK, but I’m glad I switched to the Mattoc’s which are a fair bit smoother. With hindsight, I think the Mojo tune ramped the compression up too much.

I’ve never really liked Rock Shox, but I’ve got to say that I’ve been really surprised at how good the Charger damper on my Boxxers is. I was thinking that the’d be swapped out pretty quickly but I think they’ll be staying.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Just a shame the boxxer stanchions last a couple of uplift otherwise they’d be mint!

I’d go 34.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Are you just limited to those 2 forks, if not then Mattocs are ace and the roughcut Xfusions are meant to be really good as well.

Northwind

TBH I wasn’t blown away with either but of the two I prefer the Pikes. I’d definitely be tempted by Mattocs if it wasn’t for the fact every set I know of has broken repeatedly.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Mine are still good although they haven’t had that much use yet. I’ve just been riding the fatbike through winter and just continued with it!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New bike build, fox 34 or pike? Real world review’ is closed to new replies.