Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Bike! Boardman fs team 650b
  • ssbnreso
    Free Member

Just ordered new bike on C2W scheme. Had 1k to spend, fancied a new FS (currently got an old school marin single pivot)

Ordered through Halfords, picking it up unbuilt, on Thursday.

Bonus it’s a 10% off weekend so getting it for £899, not bad I think!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

🙂 Enjoy!

Bazz

I have been seriously tempted by one of these, they look like alot of bike for the money, ride report (with pics) will be required.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Hopefully have out up Hamsterly Forest this weekend if the other half hasn’t got plans for me!

Seems to get mostly good reviews, must be selling well, i’m in Sunderland and having to go to North Shields to collect the next nearest was York!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Nice one!

The old 26er has done me well. For the kit you get on it, there is nay better value to be had.

neilthewheel

You will enjoy this.

gazc
    Free Member

£50 off accessories too so coupled with the 10% off promotion currently on thats a bargain 😀

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Only 2 road bikes available in the clearance offer though.

Happy with £100 to spend to take me up to my £1k voucher, proberly get a new helmet, either the 661 Recon Stealth, Gyro Hex or Met Terra. Which ever fits the best.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Well picked bike up today, unbuilt as promised.
    Also got a new helmet and jacket with 10% discount I got for the bank holiday, bonus!

Hopefully get it built up tomorrow or over weekend

adamc
    Free Member

Will be interested to hear your thoughts once you’ve been out a couple of times.

I’ve applied and been accepted to the scheme, just waiting on my collection letter. Was really hoping it would be here this week to take advantage of the 10% off offer but that’s looking unlikely now.

greasyrider
    Free Member

How is the bike? I’m interested in this one myself. I’ll probably go the British Cycling route though to get the discount.

bspoked
    Free Member

My Boardman Team FS that I bought on the cycle to work scheme is 3 1/2 years old and still going strong.

Back then it was again the most bike you could buy for a grand and I managed to get a discount too.

I upgraded the tyres, grips, pedals and seat straight-away. But otherwise it was good to go.

Obviously in that time I’ve gone through plenty of consumables, brake pads, tubes and more tyres.

I’ve a changed a few bits to alter the geometry: shorter stem and longer fork.

The entire drive train has been replaced through wear.

The rear-shock did fail under warranty, but the upgraded replacement has been faultless.

When the frame snapped I managed to get halfords to give me a replacement rear triangle for £100.

But the rear wheel (hub and rim) I wrote off was all user error.

So still going strong, well the handlebars and front wheel at least! 🙂

Don’t get me wrong, I love it, still ride it hard and the drip, drip of money has stopped me dropping a fortune on a new one for nearly 4 years!

greasyrider
    Free Member

bspoked – thanks for that. I’m looking at the 2014 650b one, but it’s interesting hear how yours is holding up. Snapped frame though?

ssbnreso
    Free Member

*double post

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Got it built but haven’t been out on it yet!
    Combo of night shift and crap weather

Bike was all good out of box, no dings, scrapes or chips

bspoked
    Free Member

Skiddaw, Snowdon, Helvellyn, Ingleborough, Buckden Pike multiple times. Borrowdale bashes and Ullswater singletrack.

Countless rounds of CoedyBrenin, Degla, Gisburn, Lee Quarry and Glentress.

Stainburn every month. Plenty of local.

Stiniog uplifts.

Chamonix.

I’ve probably pushed it beyond most Halfords bikes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

pfft no pictures FAIL

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Still needs setting up properly!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

RealMan

SLAM THAT STEM!

wwaswas

your decking is at a very jaunty angle.

Doesn’t the bbq slide off?

ssbnreso
    Free Member

your decking is at a very jaunty angle.
    Doesn’t the bbq slide off?

Ha ha! Hides the crappy engineering bricks what the previous owner decided to build the extension with!

matther01
    Free Member

Defo need to sort your seat angle…unless you like a numb nether? 😉

ssbnreso
    Free Member

matther01 – Member
    Defo need to sort your seat angle…unless you like a numb nether?

Got a day off this weekend, so hopefully get up to the local country park for ride to set it all up properly

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Finally got up to Hamsterly Forest this morning, did the red route, a number of issues have become apparent:

1. I’m not as fit as i was (or use to think i was!)
    2. I need a better pair of cycling shorts!

Must be about 10 years since i rode a bike properly around Hamsterly and i must say i really enjoyed it, especially Transmission, Accelerator and Nitrous!
    Nearly lost it a couple of times but my skills* (*luck) kept me upright and on the bike!

Couldn’t fault the bike, not much to compare it to ( used to have a Marin single pivot) and it rode better than that. Bit of brake squeal? and i think i need more air in the rear shock. Need to buy a shock pump!
    Rode very good and comfortable, went up hill ok when i wasn’t pushing it!
    Downhill was great, in my limited experiance.

Overall really impressed!
    Only one photo, to knackered to get phone out of backpack!
    [/URL]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nice.

Pour water over the brakes a few times and get them a bit dusty. Then do several fast draggy descents with a cool-off. Should sort the brakes.

And the stem looks rather old school, however if that’s what suits you, then so be it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Bike! Boardman fs team 650b’ is closed to new replies.