Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New bike (bit of a bargain)
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Wandering round Halfrauds on Sunday afternoon with my younger brother (after having been to Royales and watched him gawp at the full sussers)

I spyed a GT i-drive XCR in 2008 guise with a red price card, it was marked down from just under a grand to £799 then down again to £596, right I thought to myself.

Asked my bro if he liked it, he had a sit on it, ride round the carpark and said he really liked it, so out came the bartering head.

Said to the Bikehut kid are you open to offers, he said no but we can do accessories, great just what we need, more stuff, so across came the manager.

I said what will you take, he replied with “I’ve already knocked 200 nicker off it mate” so I said how does £500 grab you, cash here and now, he said alright then, winner!!

They offered to have the other bikehut kid check it over before I took it out of the shop, but when he coudln’t figure out how to get it in the workstand, I said I’ll take it as is, along with a 12 month gurantee.

Bundled it into the back of the car and left the shop with one very happy younger brother and later a slightly bemused set of parents when we rock up back at theirs with a new bike in tow, he hee

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have one of those (though with a few mods) and also got a good price on mine. They are a nice bike and he should enjoy it.

taka
    Free Member

i snaped 7 axels on an apollo fs26* mtb and a dimond back from there they asked me what type of riding i do and i said light mountain bikeing acording to them there mountain bikes arnt suitable for that

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure Steve’s brother’s bike will be fine though. Nice bargain, well done.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s a good buy, it’s a tough big for him but he growing at a ridiculous rate as most teenagers do.

moved the saddle a bit further forwards on the rails, put a 70mm stem on and put all the steerer spacers above the stem and it’s not a bad fit.

He now wants to come to France with me next summer

MussEd
    Free Member

You bought your wee brother a new bike just like that? Man, I’ve always wanted a big brother! My big sister was hard prssed to share crisps with me when I was a teenager…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The bike should be up to that as they have good if heavy stuff on there as standard (IIRC mine weigh about 34lbs as standard).
    I like mine and the way it rides and have used it both here on the south downs and also in wales and the peaks and find that its good at all espacailly with the u-turn forks.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is that the blue one with recons on it?

Look like bloody good bikes. IIRC What MTB gave that a 9/10

takisawa2

Top bloke.
    Top bloke indeed.
    My mate ran a 2006 model before he bought his Ventana. Highly under-rated bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

MussEd – Sure did 😉 , when I say youner brother he is nigh on 18 years younger than me!!

I_Ache – it’s the ’08 one, kinda dark grey in colour

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My brother paid for my first MTB on his credit card, . . .

had to pay him back n all, cheeky bleeder!

I’ll be sure to relate this story to him!

. . . . hold on, . . . . he’s got the bike now as well, jesus!!!!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Somebody saw you coming 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New bike (bit of a bargain)’ is closed to new replies.