Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • New bike arrived: Iz disappoint, or just overly fussy?
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Bought one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-process-111-deluxe-29er-2014/

for Munqe Chick after a lot of research (nearly bought one for myself before Xmas so had already done it…) as she’s never bonded with her Cypher.

In order to get the bike to fit in the (still huge) delivery box, they’ve had to drop the seatpost all the way into the frame. And when I say “drop”, I mean “force”.

Obviously their interpretation of “all our bikes are fully checked and assembled” differs from mine 😯

Yes the bike was heavily reduced, but still over £1400 so it’s not some BSO, and yes it’s only cosmetic but you wouldn’t accept a new car with a dented wing so I don’t see this as any different.

Still waiting to hear from their customer services to see how it gets resolved so will update if and when, and I haven’t sharpened pitchforks (or varnished my fence) yet, just needed a mini-vent as M-C had been excited all week waiting for it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it’s not gonna fetch top dollar if you wanted to flog it, so you’d be best to get it replaced IMO.

I’ve been reading a lot of Process reviews and quite a few pick up on the reliability of the KS post.

If it were my bike I’d sell the replacement one and put a non-stealth Reverb on instead. The routing for these is excellent.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Wow I’d be very miffed at that, what a bodge job.

Wookster

Nope, not fussy at all, that’s not fair. If it had been sold with “cosmetic damage to seat post” then ok. But it wasn’t so not on at all.

JoB
    Free Member

i wouldn’t accept that on a new bike, whatever the cost or saving, so i’d do this

Still waiting to hear from their customer services

before publicly wringing my hands about the situation

binners

Your lawn looks very lush for this time of year. You must be pleased with that, at least? 😉

But I don’t think I’d be happy with that. I take pride in wrecking my own parts, and require no assistance. Looks like they didn’t even bother loosening the seat clamp! 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Most of these sorts of topics, I usually think the OP is being a fussy bugger (normally it’s minor paint damage from transit or something).

But that seatpost is just evidence of a slapdash approach. I’d ask for a new one.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If the bike was not advertised with a scratched up post, I’d want a new replacement, or a good discount off another post from their store’s options.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What is it with you and seat tubes?

Get that looked at, there must be a burr on the clamp or tube to do that

rp16v
    Free Member

Thats proof of a crap mechanic right there id get the rest of the bike pdi checked by another shop
    looks to be no grease on the post ither
    id be abit miffed personaly.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you be checking what caused the scratch in the first place? Is there a sharp edge on the inside of the seat post or collar? If that isn’t resolved, a replacement post will just get scratched in the same way.

But yeah, not fussy imo. I wouldn’t be happy with that on a new bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice green colour though.

nickc

ohhh, that’s not fabulous is it…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

That’s out of order, I’d have a moan about that and I’m generally a very reluctant complainer!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Your lawn looks very lush for this time of year. You must be pleased with that, at least?

My lawn has NEVER looked like that in the top pic (which is courtesy of google)!

before publicly wringing my hands about the situation

I haven’t named them in the subject line or post (other than the hyperlink, which STW will probably get paid for if you click on) nor have I slated their customer service, they may well resolve the issue to my satisfaction and if so I will update the thread accordingly to give an accurate reflection of the experience, I doubt this thread will top the search engine charts or I am about to bring them to their knees. They HAVE shipped an expensive bike that has been poorly assembled, and I don’t consider my response (either the disappointment or this thread) to be unreasonable. I do know I am very obsessive about bikes and was interested to see which way any consensus fell, hence the question in the subject line.

What is it with you and seat tubes?

🙄 😀

I do all my own spannering myself (including wheel builds, fork services etc) so I was giving the bike a “PDI” before the grand unveiling to MC, but I hadn’t even got as far as fitting pedals. For some reason I am now drawn to checking seatposts…

I’ve been reading a lot of Process reviews and quite a few pick up on the reliability of the KS pos

I’ve read similar – probably the same reviews- about it being very fussy about cable tension and position. And it’s your fault we bought it Chapaking, so no pressure or anything 😉

edit to capture later reponse:

Shouldn’t you be checking what caused the scratch in the first place? Is there a sharp edge on the inside of the seat post or collar? If that isn’t resolved, a replacement post will just get scratched in the same way.

there will be a slight burr inside the seat tube or clamp which is not uncommon, it’d the sort of thing a decent PDI finds, and when I build a new bike from a frame I have an old knackered “sacrificial” post I use to investigate. A few seconds with some wet-and-dry is normally enough to sort it.

And yes it’s a much nicer green in the metal than in the stock pics.

Kahurangi

I’d not be happy with that either and would be sending it back.

I’ll disagree with the poster above and would stay to stick with the KS Levs if possible. I don’t know anyone with a reverb who hasn’t had to get it replaced under warranty. Mine and the Mrs’ Levs have only required the odd clean/service.

If you have that much of the post showing you should get one with more drop, too.

edit

very fussy about cable tension and position

sounds like the 1st generation of Lev Integra. They’ve been upgraded since and KS will send you the upgrade kit FoC if you do have a 1st gen one.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Gggrrrr hurry up and reply Wiggle … Want to go pedal my new bike. . or be disappointed and send it back, (hopefully not as they’ll just fix issue!).

Tis a far nicer green in the flesh than it looks online too! Iz excite 🙂

fathomer

As above I usually open these sort of thread, think get over it and leave. However, I’d be right pissed of if that had arrived.

nickc

I don’t know anyone with a reverb who hasn’t had to get it replaced under warranty.

[waves from the back/] helllooooooo… 😆

Frankenstein
    Free Member

OP has every right to expect a new conditioned bike.

I would tell them to send a new post or bike.

Unless it was heavily discounted.

Wiggle should have taken the post out or greased it up.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As PaulRTW says you need to check if there’s a bigger problem there – a burr in the seat tube that needs sorting by reaming, or possibly even frame replacement (a mate of mine had an Ellsworth that did the same and had the frame replaced). It’ll just do it to the new post if the seat tube itself isn’t sorted.

hora
    Free Member

I can’t comment on that bike until the fence is retreated.

rone

As an aside my brand-new car had a scratch on it. They just said it was nothing and I could t-cut it out.*

Nobody is bothered about anything any more. 🙁

*We got it resolved, but not without a bit of a debate!

dirtydog
    Free Member

And when I say “drop”, I mean “force”.

Very little force required to do that.

Same happened to me when I fitted a new post to my brand new Orange 5 frame, didn’t know until I pulled it out, but yeah unacceptable finishing on the part of Kona and in my case Orange.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t know anyone with a reverb who hasn’t had to get it replaced under warranty

[waves from the back/] helllooooooo…

Coooooeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! (mines fine and we’re at least passing acquaintances)

perchypanther
    Free Member

needs sorting by reaming

+1 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

I don’t know anyone with a reverb who hasn’t had to get it replaced under warranty

There are a lot more people that own them that you don’t know, than know.

You don’t know me and I haven’t. 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

+1 🙂

It’s difficult to tell, knowing you, whether you’re smiling in agreement that the seat tube needs fixing, or whether you’re tickled by the word reaming.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pretty poor. A new bike is a new bike, unless you buy it shop soiled or used, it should be just that brand spankers.

Saccades
    Free Member

Sits down next to Nickc and TINAS and shares his hobnobs.

Kahurangi

helllooooooo…

who are you and what are you doing in my bathroom?

Coooooeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

There are a lot more people that own them that you don’t know, than know.

Yeah I know, it’s a relatively small sample and it was only to make a point that it’s not worth getting shot of the Lev for a Reverb!

perchypanther
    Free Member

tickled by the word reaming.

This. All the way. 😀

…although someone deserves reaming for the state of that seatpost.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

needs sorting by reaming

Me, them or the bike? 😉

Hora, sorry I don’t do DIY. That panel is still vertical which is more than can be said for some of it…

philjunior
    Free Member

I was hoping to see something utterly inconsequential or unreasonable I could have a laugh at (e.g. “how come they’ve not taped up all the cable rub areas”)

I’d say you’re not unreasonable to be bothered by it, I wouldn’t be too fussed about there being things that will mark a seatpost in there, but I would expect the seatpost to be kept high up or even not to be in the seat tube in order to avoid the issue you have had.

And you don’t need grease on an aluminium frame/aluminium post, could use something to grip the post though.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m as unfussy as you like….that wants replacing foc asap fwiw

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s difficult to tell, knowing you, whether you’re smiling in agreement that the seat tube needs fixing, or whether you’re tickled by the word reaming.

I thought he was volunteering for a reaming as well.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Personally if the damaged part of the post sat in the seat tube then it wouldn’t
    worry me . I would file the burr that has caused the damage , use black marker to cover the scratches if I could be bothered and re-fit the post without grease , because that’s what they normally tell you to do with dropper posts . I realise I am in a minority here and I can understand why but for something that won’t affect the performance or look of the bike sending stuff back is a PITA . Obviously if the scratched post sat above the frame that would probably be different .

psycorp
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be happy with that on a new bike.

weeksy

Are we sure the OP never caused it getting the post out?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shoddy. Seriously shoddy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘New bike arrived: Iz disappoint, or just overly fussy?’ is closed to new replies.