• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m1kea.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New bike and awesome customer service! Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • schmiken

Previously to getting this new frame today, I had a Kinesis Racelight T, which I did just about everything on before it eventually died. After speaking to the awesome guys over at Kinesis, they were able to hook me up with the upgraded model 4S rather than the Racelight T2 under their ‘crash replacement’ scheme. Absolutely brilliant guys and I’m really grateful! Here’s to hopefully another nine years or more!

Anyway, pictures…

Buildkit is 105/PowerTap G3 on Open Pros, Rotor 3D+ cranks and 53/39 Q Rings, 105 5600 shifter, mechs, chain and cassette, KCNC post, F109 stem, Ritchey WCS Classic bars. A very old and very worn Fizik Aliante and crappy Gatorskin tyres (until I can find some 27c Pave CGIIs). SKS Bluemels and a Tortec rack finish it all off.

Total weight is a rotund 9.72 kgs, but I’m happy with that considering it’s designed to be durable and weatherproof.

m360
    Free Member

Nice, and who knew – you can get coloured cable ends!

bikeneil
    Free Member

How did the Racelight die?

schmiken

M360 – yep, I have the choice of blue, green or purple.

Bikeneil – cracked by the dropout.

jimmy

Very nice. And Kinesis customer service = brilliant. Want.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like that.

peteimpreza

Gopping
    No disc brakes
    Cables not under handle bar tape
    Terrible clash of colours
    Another frame from the same manufacturers despite the first one cracking
    Is it even 10 speed never mind eleven?

But if you like it who cares

curto80
    Free Member

Apparently they also make a Ti frame called the Tripster. I think there’s a thread about it somewhere.

schmiken

Pete, thanks for your comments!

No disc brakes cos I don’t want to have to buy a new Powertap.
    It’s got cables not under bar tape cos it’s daft to buy a whole new groupset when 5600 10 speed still works perfectly.
    Aesthetics are a personal choice and I like it.
    The previous frame cracked after nine years and 50k. That’s pretty good in my book.
    And yes, it’s 10 speed. See above.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice!

Love the rainbow stripe for spacers.

Kinesis is most definitively the brand that I want to try out, just about all their range sees interesting to me, Sync, Aithein, CX Race, Tripster

schmiken

Hah, thanks. Bought them years ago for pure pimping – they’re Chris King spacers from Aspire.

I’ve got to admit to being a bit of a fanboi – I’ve had two Maxlights and a Crosslight, I’ve got a Decade Visa and now a 4S. Planning on replacing my race bike with an Athein and if they get around to making a Medium 650b Sync I’ll have one of those too!

john_l
    Free Member

That’s a lovely frame. I’ve been on an Aithein for a few months now & really rate it – super fast & comfy.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

It’s got cables not under bar tape cos it’s daft to buy a whole new groupset when 5600 10 speed still works perfectly.

I bought 10 speed 105 shifters for £60, would be worth that to get rid of the expanse of hideous green cables 🙂

schmiken

Got a link? And if it’s for 5700 I tried those and they didn’t feel as smooth to shift as 5600.

m1kea
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with exposed gear cables though green wouldn’t be my colour choice. Blue would have been more in keeping with the rest of the bike

mudshark
    Free Member

Very happy with mine bought in the spring, good with guards and bigger tyres for winter use.

unovolo
    Free Member

How did the Racelight die?

I’d imagine of embarrassment from the mishmash of clashing colours
    😉

schmiken

Bit of an update as I have now changed the stem to a Ritchey WCS 4 Axis, the cables to blue, the tyres to Vittoria Pave CG2s and the tubes to Specialized Turbos. Dropped 512 grams total, bringing it to approximately 9.41kg with guards, rack and PowerTap.

m1kea
    Free Member

The blue details are more in sync, bar the bottle cages!

9.4KH with rack and guards sounds like a respectable weight 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New bike and awesome customer service! Kinesis Racelight 4S’ is closed to new replies.