Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • NEW BIKE alert…. woohoo… gotta new bike
  • charliedontsurf

…a surly big dummy….

Arrived on Wednesday, built within hours (H-bars, avid mechanicals, and 48 spoke rear halo SAS wheel), took the kids down the beach on the back in evening, then took it to the Bankes Arms at Studland, offroaded in the dark on the way home.

Next day I loaded it up with a tipi and rode it on and off road for three days to the Clunker Classic… check out the youtube movie below.

Fancy one? Frame and forks are £850, racking and bags £225, with complete builds around £1,700. Ours works as the company van – haulin your bike parts to the post office, family car when going down the beach (you can even load it with surfboards), and well appointed opulent tourer – for when you don’t want to sleep in a tiny tent.

surly big dummy tour you choob movie

BigDummy
    Free Member

Pictures please! I’m not watching 8:35 of famous landmarks of Dorset in the hope of catching a glimpse of it! 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

yes i do want one please… can i have it on an interest free loan with an indeterminate payment scheme to be agreed in a few years’ time? 🙂

charliedontsurf

Pictures soon… gotta go down the post office later so will take a camera…. or fast forward to 2:20, offroad stuff from 5:40.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The important question – is it singlespeed? 😉

charliedontsurf

singlespeed….! even I recognise that a 40 pound bike with around 50 pounds of kit, offroad and over hills, may well require more than one gear.

I rode SS to scotland a couple of years ago and it was a killer.

So, this has gears… which I hasten to add are entirely stolen. If I didn’t pay for them, then I have not stimulated demand, so i am still not a mechivore.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Poor show charlie, you big wuss 😉

jfeb
    Free Member

Fun-looking trip and the bike looked like it did the job brilliantly. I’d love one but know I’d never get to use it 🙁

Shame about the jokes 😉

juan
    Free Member

I cant be arsed to watch all the video but I am already fond of your accent 😀
    Maybe you should ask the BBC to give you a radio show…

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Charlie, well impressed with that, you should make some more.

charliedontsurf

Make more… that would mean spinning around the countryside stopping for food and beer… I think I can do that.

Pics in 30 mins.

Surfr
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the video. Worth watching, all you nay sayers 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

state of your teeth. (1.10 in)

don’t you have dentists round your way?

charliedontsurf

Have you seen the price of teeth…. seriously that is due to years of power drinks and just not cleaning them after every ride. Buy 100 big dummies and I will get them capped 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Pics in 30 mins.

Posted 33 minutes ago

You lied, I feel betrayed. I shall check again later…

charliedontsurf

sorry been distracted by a kitkat chunky… pics in 10 mins

sharki
    Free Member

Likes!

alpin
    Free Member

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    sorry been distracted by a kitkat chunky…

and therein lies the problem.

charliedontsurf

[img]http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/bd2.JPG[/img]

ok these should be pics…. just been down beach to take one of the kids bodyboarding…

charliedontsurf

things of (possible)interest:
    xl timbuk2 is very handy (and very pink) on the dummy
    the surf was almost flat
    jones titec H bars with ergon grips
    ahead bottle opener
    48 spoke rear halo SAS wheel, 36 spoke front.
    Schwalbe big apples + slime inner tubes
    The sea is still cold – I must be getting old
    Brooks B17 Ti saddle

Handling is incredibly good, hardly know the load is there (unless it starts giggling). BB must be low as it track stands very well. Good conversation starter. A bike to keep for ever. How much is petrol now?

Laters
    C

DrP

Charlie – give me a buzz/mail next time you’re zooming past Maidencastle! I’d like to see one in the flesh (and just live up the road!).

So – you’re swanage based? Fancy coming along to the next Purbeck ride we do?

DrP

charliedontsurf

Hi Dr P,
    Yep, email me next time you ride the ‘purbs and I will see if I am free, and may be able to introduce you to some new singletrack.
    Cheers
    Charlie

BigDummy
    Free Member

That looks great. 20 or 22 inch frame?

I like the wheels. Weedy wheels is the worst thing about mine at present. 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ashton Press – nice tipple.

nice vid too

bike looks mental

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

hang on – “I hid under a bridge and had lunch..”

YOU’RE A TROLL!

charliedontsurf

20 inch frame…. which is a good fit, also the massive drooping top tube means it fits smaller folk easily.

I spoke to surly before getting mine (mainly to check there was nota 29er dummy variation in the pipeline) and they said go burly on the wheels, and teh guys at halo said this was teh burliest thing and would be spot onn (halo SAS 48 spoke, spin doctor hubs with hollow nutted axle (not QR))

“Hid under a bridge”… that is either because I am a troll and had billy goats for lunch, or it was sheeting it down with rain and no one like a soggy pasty.

The ashton press was right nice… one of the tours drinking highlights.

rowley
    Free Member

Ah! West Bay. Had my stag weekend there and pre Haven many a family holiday when we were kids.

rOcKeTdOg

looks fun, do you want some stickers for it, i got sent some through the post see….

charliedontsurf

You may have noticed I am somewhat into my big dummy… so i made this this morning…

http://www.surlybigdummysociety.com

roll on the dummy collective

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘NEW BIKE alert…. woohoo… gotta new bike’ is closed to new replies.