Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New bike advice!
  • lanvale
    Free Member

I have just recently moved right next to a 7 stanes cycle track and dusted off my 16 year old Marin Muirwood.
    I have got the trail bike bug and going out almost everyday. I tested a 29 Er from Lbs and really liked it.
    I have got budget of about £800 ( I know it’s not much seeing what kind of bikes you guys ride) I am leaning towards a 29er rigid with gears.

My question is, I am having difficulty finding any such bike, they all seem to have suspension except the expensive custom bikes. The reason I am trying to avoid the suspension is the everyday wear and tear could become expensive with maintenance.

Any help to a newbie would be most welcome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Everyday wear and tear is not that much of an issue these days. Just wash it and lube it.

Under £1000 you could be better off looking second hand but would suggest finding someone to go with you on that one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also as a second point going from a 16yo Marin to something modern would feel very different, I’d suggest trying a few bikes before picking what you like – if you had tried a 26″ light weight full sus you would probably have felt the same.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sambob
    Free Member

Genesis Fortitude?

sambob
    Free Member

Having said that, modern forks need very little maintenance.

lanvale
    Free Member

The reason I am trying to avoid suspension is the Lbs said they need servicing every 30-50 hours, approx cost £40+. At my current usage that would be every 2-3 months.
    The suspension bikes feel a bit easy mode, so the middle ground is 29er rigid. I would stick to the Marin but my local trail is really gnarly, granite etc.

lanvale
    Free Member

Thanks Sambob, the Genisis Looks like what I am after or something similar.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The reason I am trying to avoid suspension is the Lbs said they need servicing every 30-50 hours, approx cost £40+. At my current usage that would be every 2-3 months.

Fox forks require service at those intervals to maintain warranty – not much chance of fox on an £800 build.

Most are fine, the lower service is all that is normally required and can be very straight forward (some simple tools and oil)

johnnystorm

Ring up On-One and see if they’ll let you buy one of these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOINX529/on_one_inbred_x5_29er_bike

Fitted with one of these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCAR/on_one_carbon_fork

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have a set of Rockshox that I finally got around to having serviced last year after 6 years use (first 2 years constant, then a year fairly regular and 2 years intermittent at best). That was the first time they were looked at, and the guy said they didn’t need anything done to them.

So I wouldn’t worry too much about servicing 😉

I would get a straight hardtail, and do quite like the On-Ones (had an Inbred for a long while – 26″ version) but those Genesis bikes do look good. Wouldn’t mind a High Latitude myself.

RRD
    Free Member

I would suggest looking at a hard tail. Fork servicing is not an issue and buying a rigid seems a bit overkill just for maintenance. On ones are very good value – I have a 29 er inbred with Alfine hub and rockshox rebas and it’s zero maintenance but a wee bit heavy. A scandal may have been wiser.
    If you are looking at 29ers check out the web for some very good offers. I know it’s best to try before you buy but some of the discounts make it worth yourwhileto risk it .

tmb467
    Free Member

LBS in ‘attempt to make money’ shocker…

Home servicing on forks is pretty simple – basic tools and a bit of oil is all it takes (plus foam rings and seals every year or so)

40 quid will do you a few years servicing

lanvale
    Free Member

Thanks guys for all the advice, you have to a degree changed my mind on front suspension, the way the Lbs described them, you would think they were made of cheese.

I will make a separate post on what is a good starter front suspension fork.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New bike advice!’ is closed to new replies.