• This topic has 32 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ash.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New Bike (2nd attempt due to 1st attempt title fail)
  • ash

Picked up yesterday from Bavaria, the new Tesla. Can't wait to have a proper go on it later today…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I really like that, what are the forks?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

that looks like a lot of fun! i bet it flies DH

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sambob
    Free Member

i tried one of those on sunday at bikeradar demo day, awesome bike but quite heavy, and the rear brake made a weird noise, and the bionicon system wasnt working properly so i had to bounce it to get to downhill position. great if it works properly though 🙂 schrickvr6, the forks are bionicon own brand double agent, it means the whole system works 😀

ash

I really like that, what are the forks?

Bionicon's own 80-160mm "Double Agent"

i bet it flies DH

Should fly uphill too…30lb and nice steep seat angle when in uphill mode. Will report back…

ash

quite heavy

All relative I guess. It's pretty light compared to what I'm used to.

the bionicon system wasnt working properly so i had to bounce it to get to downhill position

They had a slight problem with the prototype shock mounts, meaning you had to jerk back (rather than just put your weight back) to get into DH mode. This has now been remedied.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

looks interesting but the two demos i've seen of bionicon bikes the system hasn't worked on any of the bikes (different ones to sambob too)

[EDIT] lets hope they have

still be slower than your alpine anyway 🙂

ash

looks interesting but the two demos i've seen of bionicon bikes the system hasn't worked on any of the bikes

Ey up Mike. Bit of a shame that (possibly a bit unlucky/due to set up issues?). I've only ever seen it working perfectly.

slowrider
    Free Member

it looks pretty steep in that top pic, what setting is it in there?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That downward-facing 9mm QR dropout set-up, on a bike intended for DH, looks like a recipe for disaster.

grimey
    Free Member

Tried a Bionicon Edison a few weeks ago (had it setup for me properly by the chaps in the shop) everything worked wonderfully and the system, when set up properly, makes a big difference.

Superb downhill in its fully open position and when its in uphill mode it flies uphill like a hardtail. Really innovative stuff. If I had enough money it would be mine!

sambob
    Free Member

sounds right ash, on the one i tried, the suspension pressures were too high, so really needed a big hit to use much of the travel. i descended much faster on a scott genius :S

ash

it looks pretty steep in that top pic, what setting is it in there?

Beg to differ about it looking steep…it's in descending mode there.

That downward-facing 9mm QR dropout set-up, on a bike intended for DH, looks like a recipe for disaster.

Why a disaster? Anyway, they're replacing the lowers later this year with a bolt-thru version.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

What's happened to the 5?

The concept behind Bionicon is very interesting, but I'm not sold on all that proprietary shock technology (or the mud clearance and QR on that fork!).

ash

I'm not sold on all that proprietary shock technology

After seeing someone ride a Bionicon to 2nd place in a week-long MTB race, and having now seen first hand how simple the whole thing really is (got some tuition yesterday at HQ), I personally have no qualms about the proprietary thing.

The real proof will be in the riding though 🙂

riggsy
    Free Member

i tried one of those on sunday at bikeradar demo day, awesome bike but quite heavy, and the rear brake made a weird noise, and the bionicon system wasnt working properly so i had to bounce it to get to downhill position. great if it works properly though schrickvr6, the forks are bionicon own brand double agent, it means the whole system works

think we must have had the same bike, was real fun downhill and not as hard as I had thought up.. if the suspension worked properly it would have been better

will
    Free Member

O M G

Love!

tinsy
    Free Member

I couldnt work out why the foks looked weird at first, but its because they dont have a leading axle, as that offset is built into the triple clamps…

Looks a nice bike.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

nothing wrong with the technology,the other one in les arcs has survived a seasons guiding

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I'm sure it rides well and everything… But does noone else think those forks look like something off a halfords bike? Hideous!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Should fly uphill too…30lb and nice steep seat angle

30lb? Absolute rubbish. Either your scales are wrong or its made out of titanium

ash

30lb? Absolute rubbish. Either your scales are wrong or its made out of titanium

Catalogue claims 13.5kg = 29.74lb… that *might* be without pedals. Pedals are 492g, so a whisker over a pound. So it should be under 31lb all in.

In any case, the bike is definitely lighter than my dialled alpine, which I think is about 33lb.

ash

p.s. titanium is heavier than aluminium 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

riggsy, did you have to bounce it to get it back to downhill position? suspension was far too stiff for me at 10 stone, the first section after you go through the forks really battered me, more than a scott scale did 😆

alpin
    Free Member

i was lucky enough to have full use of the Bionicon bikes the time i may Revelation fork snapped at the tabs. the bike shop (fahrradstation-lindau, germany) let me use their bikes whilst my was sitting forelorn amongst the sick and poorly bikes in the werkstatt.

i'm not a fan of FS, but i was really impressed by the bikes. i rode the Edison and Golden Widdow over a month or more on proper alpine trails. climbing really is made a lot easier with the funky "knopf" on the bars. going down they are a bit mad (in a good way), but that could also have been my limited experience with FS.

Ash, did you really go down to Tegernsee to pick it up? i was there on the weekend riding from Schliersee – Tegernsee – Lenggries. got a pic somewhere……

nice part of the world…..

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

where can i get one or a price for one??? im loving it

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just realised that they are QR forks.

What is a QR doing on a 160mm fork??

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I hope more manufacturers start making bikes like this. I have ridden one and it worked fine. I reckon it weighed in at around 33lb, it was heavier than my yeti but by much. Great bikes.

ash

What is a QR doing on a 160mm fork??

they're replacing the lowers later this year with a bolt-thru version.

Works absolutely great as it is though.

I reckon it weighed in at around 33lb

Bionicon reckon it's closer to 30lb. So do I.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

where can i get one or a price for one???

ash

http://www.bionicon.com/bikes/tesla

Don't know UK pricing… get in touch with Roger at Bionicon UK

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i will be needing euro pricing. i can get it from bavaria too.. only a stone throw away 😉

ash

The Tesla (only one build option) is about €2900.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New Bike (2nd attempt due to 1st attempt title fail)’ is closed to new replies.