Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • New Bike – 29er, titanium, Single Speed, Seven Cycles, Niche content…..
  • solarider
    Free Member

Just finished building this up. About to take it out and get very dirty after 2 days of rain.

My first single speed. My first 29er. Should be fun!

Seven Sola 29er single speed with Niner carbon forks.
    Phil Wood Hubs, and bb.
    White Industries chainset and freewheel.
    Magura Marta SLs.
    Stans 355's.

Just for fun, as the proud father I thought I would also post the latest family album! Hopefully no stray weeds, loose floorboards, valves not lined up with tire decals or other picture bloopers, although I did notice one of the cats' pink balls in 2 of the pictures. Sorry.

My Sola Hardtail. The wheels look so small now next to the new one!

My Duo Lux. Yep, only its owner could love it! Butt ugly, but rides like a dream.

My Tsunami cyclocross. Before anybody mentions it, they are tubulars, so no choice on the valve/decal alignment!

My Aerios race bike.

My Axiom winter bike.

Cue the comments…….

psychle
    Free Member

Dang… that's a lot of lovingly shaped titanium! I bet you have security like Fort Knox to protect those beauties 😯

Nice collection :mrgreen:

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You only have six Sevens – you need another one! 🙂

Lovely collection; very nice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    solarider
    Free Member

Watch this space. there's a TT bike in the pipeline! Then, I have to say my work is done….

psychle
    Free Member

If you own 7 Sevens and get them together in one room, does some sort of mystical portal open up in the fabric of space time? seems like it should… 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

It should open and give me a share in the bleedin' company after this outlay over the years!

thepodge
    Free Member

that first one has really ugly dropouts

psychle
    Free Member

Do you invest in titanium futures? 😉

nuke

I kept scrolling and there was just more and more Sevens 😯

Lovely bikes. Don't think my two built up bikes would come to the same value as just one of those 7s

solarider
    Free Member

Actually the dropouts don't look so ugly in real life, but they are quite big I agree. Like so many of Seven's more unique concepts (like the Duo, cough, cough!), they are really nicely made, really nicely engineered, but maybe not the best looking. They do however do a brilliant job and are super strong and stiff.

brakes
    Free Member

I can admit to a bit of brand loyalty, but this goes beyond obsession
    do you get them at trade? why do you like seven so much? not having a go, just curious.

solarider
    Free Member

I wish I did get them at trade, but sadly no. I understand your question though.

Firstly I love the ride of titanium, which does somewhat narrow the field somewhat. I used to break carbon, and steel is nice, but I like the concept of a bike for life. I am not exactly a standard size, being tall, but relatively short in the leg with a long torso and ape-like arms! So, custom makes sense, and whenever I have fancied a new genre of bike, I have never found anything better than a Seven in a custom made frame.

Lots of manufacturers probably make equally nice bikes in each category, but Seven have always looked after me and their customer service is 1st rate. Highly recommended.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i was going to say those niner forks cost a fortune but then i saw your other 'children'

if you sell the niner let me know 😉

solarider
    Free Member

Steady on fontmoss, I haven't even ridden it yet! I think this one's a keeper.

fontmoss
    Free Member

spoilsport!

keavo
    Free Member

like the niner fork, the rest is a load tat;-)

psychle
    Free Member

how much (if it's OK to ask 😳 ) was the Niner fork?

speaker2animals

Yes I am jealous/envious with huge debts and no job.

Would it not have been easier to simply post your bank statements and or a pic of your huge k**b!

Sorry for the anger but what you expect?

solarider
    Free Member

That's OK to ask. I think the RRP is £330. I pre-ordered mine, and by the time it eventually arrived, it was £300 on the dot. Expensive? Hard to tell. On the one hand, it's almost twice the price of a White Brothers, or the old faithful RC31. On the other, a decent suspension fork seems to run to twice that price these days, and a decent carbon road fork is about £300ish, so its probably about right. It is really nicely made, well thought out and from an initial spin seems to ride really nice. LOADS of mud clearance too.

solarider
    Free Member

Of course I did expect the odd post like that speaker2animals. Given the bikes, you probably wouldn't want to see my bank statements though as there isn't much left! I work hard, live like a monk to afford them, save well and like nice bikes. Sorry if that offends you.

fontmoss
    Free Member

leave the guy alone, seven and titanium in the title were prob enough to tell you not to open it if you'd be offended, the rest of us like seeing lovely bikes, this is in fact a bike forum where many of us spend far too much, relative to our incomes, on bikes.

GJP
    Free Member

BTW do you deal with Seven direct or via Sigmasport.

They are my local LBS and are always telling me to stop faffing around and changing bikes every 12-18 months – and just buy a Seven. In truth it would make sense financially provided of course I didn't get bored of it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

blimey, just one of those would be enough for most people – i know how much i love me only merlin!

very nice, lucky bastard!

solarider
    Free Member

GJP, I was in exactly the same position as you. Actually once you have ridden one, and although I know it is a cliche, it will be the last bike you buy (well, OK in my case 'of that type'!). In the long run, you only have to change a fairly expensive 'stock' bike twice to justify the cost, particularly if you swap all of the kit over.

Mine came from a couple of sources. I bought the first 4 in New Zealand when I was living there. These were done directly through Seven as they don't have a distributor in that part of the world. The last few were through Sigma Sport, as Seven won't deal direct where they do have a distributor. Sigma know their stuff. Mark Murphy used to be their expert, but he has moved on to work for Specialized. Lee has taken over as their Seven expert and is really helpful. It's a lot of cash but well worth it in the long run.

Airwolf
    Free Member

Nice bikes, but do you swap the saddle and seatpost between them all?

Or do you have 6 thompson seatposts and saddles?

will
    Free Member

Think that is the first ever 29er that I like, and that looks "right"

What a beautiful collection though! Whats your job? Whatever it is, i want it 😆

BadlyWiredDog

You must ride an awful lot. Please tell me you do.

solarider
    Free Member

They get well used, don't worry!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Im a 29er chap all the way, and yours looks fantastic (tho I do agree, the dropouts lose out asthetically).

Lovely bikes, thanks for sharing.

tang
    Free Member

weight of the 29er? got to be light with those forks(which are lush). OCD gone good.

solarider
    Free Member

Not sure on the weight. It's light all right. I am guessing about 19lbs all up.

Certainly much lighter than my standard Sola with suspension forks and gears, although the Phil Wood and White Industries kit isn't actually especially light.

Airwolf, that's six posts and saddles. I guess I have a Fizik shaped bum!

Will, thanks for the comments. I guess being quite tall I do fit into the category of what 29ers were designed for. It looks better proportioned than my 26 inch wheel bikes given my size somehow. The ride is definitely different. Not as twitchy or chuckable, but heaps more stable. A completely different animal. Definitely not a replacement for a 26 inch bike, but something quite different.

69er
    Free Member

The burning question is, as Mrs moreears wants to know is:

How much?

GJP
    Free Member

Solarider – Thanks for the info. I know Lee very well – he is my personal shopper 😆

solarider
    Free Member

kona_ona. That one will have to remain a secret! More than they should have, less than they could have but worth every penny!

baldSpot
    Free Member

****' 'ell!

Anthony
    Free Member

Are those door knobs real diamonds?

Great collection btw, well done. I presume all the Thomson's are Masterpiece's?

Bazz

That is one hell of a slack seat tube on the duo lux!!

solarider
    Free Member

After this lot, they are genuine 18ct Homebase plastic!

Yep, quite a slack seat angle. Somehow the saddle and the handlebars are in the right place relative to each other, but what happens in the middle is a bit of mystery.

ianpinder
    Free Member

They are all really nice, I follow your centiments, buy right and buy once

iamtheresurrection

Is that Super Record on your winter bike? Mentalist… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New Bike – 29er, titanium, Single Speed, Seven Cycles, Niche content…..’ is closed to new replies.