Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New BB? Superstar any good?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

I’m getting quite a horrible creaking/miniature cracking nosie when I put any force down when pedalling. It’s not the pedals so I’m presuming it’s the BB. I’ve had my Saint BB for nearly 2 years now so no anger in needing to replace it.

Superstar price on Angletech HTII at £27 seems pretty tempting. Saving money this month is quite crucial 🙂

So, are the Superstar ones any good? Angular better or worse than ‘….’?

Needs to be 68/73mm

Thanks!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Arent shimano BB’s only about £20 new?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rose are doing XTR’s for £16 + postage (about £5 IIRC)

I destroyed 2 superstar BB’s in 6 rides and 8 rides, apparently I fitted them incorectly so he wouldn’t take them back (he determined this without seeing them which was even more impressive!).

tthew

I had a superstar one. Not the angleset one admitedly, but it was complete garbage. Lasted about 3 rides, (though admittedly one was a particularly muddy CX race) then surprisngly wasnt’t covered but the ‘no quibble’ guarantee.

I’m not a superstar hater either, use their brake pads, grips, have tools etc. but wouldn’t touch BB’s again.

wwaswas

he determined this without seeing them which was even more impressive

the theory seems to be ‘they don’t fail’ so the only thing to then blame is user error and thus there’s never any need for either inspection or warranty replacement.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok, so, that’s a definite no to Superstar BBs with so many negative responses in such a small amount of time 😀

Do Bottom Brackets differ depending on their use? For instance will an XTR Bottom Brocket stand up to as much punishment a Saint one will?

Or is a bottom bracket just a bottom bracket?
    Thanks

andyl
    Free Member

saint one has longer threads into the BB shell I believe.

SLX/XT one is about £12 on rose and the XTR one about £3 more which is probably just due to it being black and less of them made compared to the silver ones.

Buy yourself 2 SLX/XT ones from Rose to get the most out of the 5euro postage.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

^^ what he said 😆

Rose rock!

tthew

Hang on, I’ve just noticed the OP’s username. This isn’t some sort of subtle market reserch enquirey is it? If so, and to sum up.

100% of respondants think SuperStar bottom brackets are s….

Please feel free to use this as a marketing quote on your website 😀

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Lol! No, GSuperstar was abbreviated from Ghetto Superstar from the song when I was about 15, and I’ve just used it from then on.

I think a Superstar Researcher would be a tad in trouble by quoting they got 2 years out of a Shimano Saint BB 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Saint BB M815 has longer threads on the right hand cup – only really useful if you run a BB mounted chain device, and don’t mind excluding the plastic sleeve between the cups.

I run a saint BB on both Patriot and 222.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hi Xiphon

I run my device on ISCG mounts on my Alpine 160. So really in the grand scheme of things, if I buy an XTR, Saint or SLX I’m not going to really notice a difference…

xiphon
    Free Member

With the ISCG device you don’t need the extra threads. My frame doesn’t have them 🙁

In the real world, marketing shite aside, there’s very little difference between the models really…..

honourablegeorge

Rose have the saint one too. IT’S GOLD

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Where’s this Rose website? I only get a .co.uk website appear and somebody mentioned earlier about Euro pricing?

Neil-F
    Free Member

I bought the angular one in April which seized up after 3 very wet days on the West Highland Way, I sent it back and they returned it with new bearings fitted, stating that the bearings had been fitted the wrong way round. The repaired one has been fine since to be fair, and its seen plenty action.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New BB? Superstar any good?’ is closed to new replies.