Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New BB, much more susceptible to chainline?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

I replaced the BB on my road bike a month or so back. I upgraded to an Ultegra one which was a smaller diameter but looked to be about the same width. Since I’ve had it on though I don’t seem to be able to get the chain in a position where it isn’t quite noisy on the cogs, sometimes to the point where you can feel it through the pedals.

To complicate matters, it’s had a new chain (done by a shop) recently. I’d expect some initial noise/roughness on the old rings/cassette, but it looks like what’s happening is the chainline is causing the chain to sort of briefly hang on the sides of the bigger cogs on the cassette, and then drop off and back onto the right cog.

Looking at the chainline it seems to be fairly obviously ‘bent’, but then you never really look at these things when everythings OK so I can’t really say if it’s worse than before.

Do I need to just perservere with the chainline or am I missing something stupid here?

It did occur to me the chain could be 9 spd or something (I’ve got a 10 speed setup) but I don’t think that’s likely.

samunkim
    Free Member

Seems weird to fit a BB yourself, then get a LBS to fit a chain.

But anyway, I would bet your problem is a actually that your cogs have worn to the profile gap of your old knackered chain and you rear cluster needs replacing

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Seems weird to fit a BB yourself, then get a LBS to fit a chain.

I did the BB and then a couple of weeks later realised I needed a wheel rebuild. The LBS assured me the chain needed replacing, although TBH I had my doubts. Cassette is only a few months old.

samunkim
    Free Member

I often go wide on BBs as I find it more comfortable with pedals further out, so doubt its that.

Is it possible it’s down to the wheel build and you just need a couple of turns of the derailleur cable adjuster to get things in line again

Failing that, have a look at your Derailleur cage and make sure they didn’t bend it ( or the hanger ) whilst it was in the shop.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Took cassette/freehub apart and put it back together, and had another tweak of the indexing- seems better so will see how tomorrow’s ride goes!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New BB, much more susceptible to chainline?’ is closed to new replies.