• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New BB – King or Hope Ceramic?
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

As per thread title?

mrmo
    Free Member

if you get the hope check the spacers and if they are plastic change them to alu.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

King then?

auricgoldfinger

The King ones are not fantastically sealed like all King bearings, but they do run smooth when cleaned and greased. Just need a bit of care and attention compared to some other 'disposable' HT2 BB's. A bit of bike jewelry really, but if you buy into King I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have 2.

br
    Free Member

Hope Ceramic for me, over 18 months now – no problems at all.

easygirl

hope ceramic, 15 months smooth as a babys bum

glenncampbell

hope ceramic for me too – 18 months and totally smooth with cleaning; also the regular hope bearings on my other bike have been fine too.

ps44
    Free Member

Sorry, numpty diversion.
    Can I replace standard Shimano HT2 BB with Hope ones ? I eat thru Shimano ones, even with the improved BETD bearings, every few months.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Yeah

mrmo
    Free Member

not saying hope is bad, i had one and it worked well and lasted.

But the plastic washers it came with, and i didn't pay enough attention allowed the bottom bracket to "flex", the unfindable creak!

Basically the cups were able to move a fraction which over time has damaged the bb and shell threads.

pinches
    Free Member

i've had my hope ceramic for over 2yrs and only done the standard routine of cleaning those outer plastic seals every couple of months, still performing perfectly

tang
    Free Member

just put a hope on and it came with alu spacers.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

King for me. Cheaper than Hope ceramic when I bought it, and if it's as good as other King gear it'll last forever with a bit of regular greasing.

And the colours are much better, too.

accu
    Free Member

I am really happy with the hope, have two steel BB`s and even without cleaning they are fine after a long winter…
    but,please…where can I find these alu spacers…??
    sounds wise to throw the plastic ones away…

MSP

How about a phil woods bottom bracket, thats going to be my next purchase when my current BB wears out.

handyman153
    Free Member

Mrmo –

What did you do to stop the creaking?
    I think i have similar problem at the moment, and i really cant work out where the creaks coming from.

Josh..

mrmo
    Free Member

I didn't stop the creaking, the creaking stopped me. I discovered what i think was the problem when i went to clean the cranks.

Removed the non drive crank, gave the axle a gentle tap to get the drive side to move and the bottom bracket cup came out attached to the crank. The threads on the Hope cup were minimal, and with the damaged frame threads there simply was no purchase. I got a newer bottom bracket with a better thread, it seems to have had enough thread to tighten. Tightened it up and it seems to have worked, no more creaking. It isn't held in by many threads though. I would consider getting a saint bb as the cups are longer if i was keeping the bike, which i am not.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New BB – King or Hope Ceramic?’ is closed to new replies.