Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New Balls Please…
  • mechanicaldope

Tennis type… So, I’m obviously not a pro but for me if it is yellowish and roundish it’s good enough. What is it that makes the pros need to change balls so much throughout a match? Don’t know how many are in play at any one time but they can’t get more than 100 hits each can they?

Edit: bugger, wrong forum. Sorry.

Del

bounce goes out of ’em.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t know how many are in play at any one time but they can’t get more than 100 hits each can they?

It’s like when the pro’s get their forks rebuilt before a race etc. they can tell we have no idea but it looks cool and ends up being really expensive

scuttler

Not an expert either but what I do know is the only way to return some of those shots is to be able to predict in advance the likely trajectory and bounce of the ball based on a number of subconsciously observable criteria (body / hand / arm position, racquet position, previous shots, sound even??). Roll in an element of unpredictability in terms of balls that bounce differently (both off the racquet and the ground) and they’d have no chance.

And there’s something quintessentially posh about the term ‘New balls please’.

And there’s probably a ton of money to be made from balls used in championship tournaments.

jimster01

And there’s probably a ton of money to be made from balls used in championship tournaments.

Think I’d read somewhere that Wimbledon used to pass used balls onto LTA affiliated clubs.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They lose pressure remarkably quickly. Top professionals play with the best.

avdave2

They lose pressure remarkably quickly.

There are techniques that can help if this is happening to your balls teamhurtmore. The real obstacle is not to be embarrassed to talk about it. You know you’ll find a sympathetic and non judgemental outlet for your fears here.

jimdubleyou

Think I’d read somewhere that Wimbledon used to pass used balls onto LTA affiliated clubs.

You can buy them in the shop.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2015-07-01/a_day_in_the_life_a_championship_ball.html

Mrs Dubleyou gets some freebies for school through a club contact, but I’m not sure if they are “Championships” ones or just used club ones.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

avedave2 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New Balls Please…’ is closed to new replies.