Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New AM/Trail Rim
  • SBrock
    Free Member

The are to be built onto Hope Pro 2 hubs – I mainly ride the Dark Peak & trail centres, I am intending to get them handbuilt with DT comp spokes.

Was thinking Mavic XM719 but what else is there – I dont run tubeless just 2.35 High Rollers.

I would like them to be lighter than my current DT 5.1's just to reduce some rolling resistance!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd suggest a Stan's Flow rim. It's what i ride in the Peaks and I love it. Do you already have the hubs? if not, Hope Hoops from WheelPro were made for you!

SBrock
    Free Member

thanks for that, I already have the hubs built up on DT5.1's, I just want to get something a bit lighter and tougher as the DT's are quite soft! Have read a lot about the Stan's Flow rim so that's one possibility!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fozzybear
    Free Member

Steve i looked as some stan's last weekend.
    they looked cheap.. poorly pinned and welded i went for 819 in the end (i just sold a 719 rim on the forum, i could have sold you all the kit to make them up on to you pro 2's had i known..

SBrock
    Free Member

Thanks Fozzy,

Have been reading about the forums today and I seem to getting a little bit interested in going tubeless – what is the main benefit? Is it weight? or convenience of no punctures so you can run lower pressures!

A friend of a friend has just gone tubeless and claims he has had 8 potential punctures on his back wheel – is that possible?

I do want to reduce a bit of weight off my Heckler and I know tyres/rims is the way to go. and help appreciated!

grumm
    Free Member

My 719/819s are really tough but I don't know if they are any lighter than DT 5.1s.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

719s work for me with those tyres in the Peaks. They do die eventually, but I get a couple of years out of them before they're too mangled. Good kit.

chakaping
    Free Member

719s are lighter than 5.1s I think.

Have had both on XT hubs and the 719 set felt much lighter anyway.

I'm a relatively recent tubeless convert, main benefit for me is lack of punctures.

719s work really well with stan's strips and UST tyres, fwiw.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tubeless is not about weight but more about better traction and less rolling resistance (plus fewer punctures).

The reason I love the Flow rim is that it's really wide for it's weight so it helps with the tyre footprint and stops the tyre feeling like it wants to roll off so much at lower pressures (which you can get away with tubeless)

I'm about 15st kitted up. I rode ladybower at the weekend on my hardtail with Flow rims and ADvantage 2.1 LUST tyres at 27.5 front and 32.5 rear. I'm thinking of trying 25/30 for my next ride out.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Steve it never interested me at first, actually i would say i was the least interested in tubeless ever.

i rode afan and got 2 punctures (running at 30psi in the rear) with pinch punctures with tubes.
    i find personally i get a little more grip, less roll over on the tyres (i don't run lower pressures like some it's not about that for me, i find tubeless i get more grip anyway without needing to go lower) puncture and pinch protection. weight isn't an issue for me more or less i don't care for the advantages i find.

mikey74
    Free Member

or convenience of no punctures so you can run lower pressures!

Tubeless doesn't guarantee no punctures and just ensures that when you do get punctures you are either f***ed or you put a tube in, so stick with tubes in the first place I say :mrgreen:

The times when I've ridden with people running tubeless, they have been the only ones in the group to get punctures.

The main aim of tubeless is to be able to run lower pressures, but the problems caused when you do get a puncture far outweight any minor benefits IMO

fozzybear
    Free Member

main aim of tubeless is to be able to run lower pressures

WRONGGG imo…

it cover so much more than that.

puncture protection
    tyre deformation characteristics
    weight
    rolling resistance
    improved grip

like i said i was the biggest sceptic of tubeless, i now run tubeless rims with stan's fluid on stan's rim strips (i know but it makes getting the tyre on so much easier) with none tubeless tyres.

grumm
    Free Member

719s work really well with stan's strips and UST tyres, fwiw.

Work very well ghetto tubelessed with a 20" bmx tube as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New AM/Trail Rim’ is closed to new replies.