• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New AM frame – El Guapo questions content
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Am seriously thinking about getting one of these to replace my ’09 Wolf Ridge.

Has anyone here ridden both? If so, how do they compare?

I find the top tube on my large WR a tad short, so I’m looking for something longer and roomier. I can’t find any information on the effective top tube length for the EG anywhere so it’s hard to compare.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thanks, I have an idea about sizing now and it seems that the top tube is quite a bit longer than on my Wolf Ridge.

Now, can anyone who’s ridden both please let me have their thoughts.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IA

I’ve not ridden both, but if you’re interested in a second-hand large you’d be welcome to have a go of it first…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-large-el-guapo

If you’ve specific queries I can maybe help. FWIW the reason i’m getting rid is it’s a bit small for all-day comfort for me at 6’4″.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thanks IA, much appreciated.

I’m trying to get a feel for the top tube length and the setup of the suspension, have you ridden any other full suss bikes to compare against? I realise that at 6′ 4″ you’re a fair bit taller than me but I’m interested in subjective opinion. Other than the frame size, do you get on okay with the bike itself?

Does the suspension feel reactive under pedalling or is it old skool FSR?

IA

I’ve ridden/owned quite a few full sus (including old enduros, the first FSRs etc etc).

Other than the size, yes it’s been great. It’s quite active suspension IME. I’ve the three-position monarch shock on it, and set up on the soft side for DH performance. I tend to use the middle lever position (mid damping) for singletrack/mild DH to keep things a bit firmer, then open for DH and i’ll use the heavy damping (it’s not really lockout) for long climbs.

No pedal kickback or noticeable brake jack like on a singlepivot (I had a prophet for 2 years). DH performance is more like my socom (that it replaced) than my old prophet, to give you some idea there. Not as good an XC bike as the prophet was, but mine’s also built heavier and shorter in the TT+stem, which I think is the main reason. The suspension feels more capable.

TT length is hard to compare, as it’s obviously size dependent. If you want some numbers measured from my large, they’re as below – though the current v3s are a shade longer I believe. Ballpark’s about right though – but bear in mind these are measured, not from drawings etc so may be a little off

Reach 380mm
    stack 600mm
    top tube 620mm (horizontal line from top of headtube to seatpost centre

As I say I think at 6’4″ it’s too short for me for all day riding, with a 60mm stem (obviously back/arm length is a big factor too). It is a good size for me for uplifts etc and enduros – it’s the same riding position as my old socom basically for dh.

All a bit waffley but maybe of some help?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Many thanks again IA – TBH I’m looking for a V3 as the extra top tube length is desired here, but I’ll certainly bear your V2 in mind.

The comparison with the old Enduro and Prophet is exactly what I was looking for, I’ve a couple of FSR bikes too, so I’ve got a reasonable gauge for how the suspension behaves.

I’m 5’11”, but I’ve struggled with the WR to get the fit right. With a 50mm stem the bars are in my lap and I cannot get enough body weight forward and low enough to make the front end bite. The long/low/slack geometry of the El Guapo is the main appeal TBH, if it came with a 12mm bolt through rear end then it would be the default choice.

IA

cannot get enough body weight forward and low enough

The headtube’s quite short, and as mine’s a 1.5″ headtube with an internal reducer headset then the front can be kept quite low, which really helps with this – certainly not found it a problem (I run 3cm of spacers under the stem).

Regarding the rear end, I don’t feel it lacks stiffness at all. My socom was a 150mm bolt through (ok, intenses are flexy for a DH bike but not by general standards) and this feels comparable. I do notice flex in bikes in general – I’m 87kg and could certainly feel the back of the prophet flex/twist on occasion. You could always run a 10mm thru-axle (dt swiss/superstar/whatever) or bolt-in hope or similar if you felt it lacking.

It’s certainly low and slack, BB height feels similar to my socom (riding the same trails) and it’s a little steeper. V3s are a degree slacker than my V1, though as the V1 has a 1.5″ headtube there’s scope for up to a -2 angleset. I’ve fairly long forks on (totems @160) so it’s probably similar to a stock v3 with revs.

I hummed and hawed about getting an angleset – fast stuff (the tunnel at inners etc) it feels a bit twitchy compared to the socom, but then it would compromise it for flatter singletrack. In the end I never bothered. If I was keeping it I’d maybe try a -1, see how I found it (i’ve a headset press so it would’ve been easy enough for me).

The lowness (bb height) takes a bit of getting used to for climbing – partly as I have the saddle so high my weight’s fairly rearward, compounding the issue slightly. You have to pay attention on steppy stuff to avoid clouting pedals.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New AM frame – El Guapo questions content’ is closed to new replies.