Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New all rounder Lake District rear tyre
  • masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Hi all. At present I am running Maxxis High Roller on the front and Maxxis Advantage on the back (both 26″ tubed) with a nice level of success for these awesomely rocky Lake District descents, but I wonder if you have any other suggestions for my rear tyre as it reaches the end of its tread life? I need something that I can keep on for a variety of wet / dry conditions throughout all seasons, but mainly a sidewall at the thicker end of the spectrum to limit punctures and pinch flats.

Like I say, no particular problem with the Advantage, I just wonder if there is anything I’m missing out on that STW forumers swear by.

Thanks.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Guessing that you don’t encounter too much mud in the lakes, I’d suggest an Ardent EXO. I’ve run Ardents and Advantages in the past and the Ardent definitely rolls better at the expense of some grip in mud and the EXO sidewall provides a bit of extra toughness.

tmb467
    Free Member

Smorgasbord – 12.99 and has an EXO sidewall too

Job done

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Minion, all round tyre – and good in most conditions Extensively tested in all Lakes conditions.
    After that EXO ardent
    Also feeling the love with the HRII EXO

tomaso
    Free Member

Dual ply minion out back will handle the rocky Lakes best.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You only need Dual Ply on HT’s and/or if you can’t pick a line 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

chunky monkey front and rear

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Regular lakes rider here using a Ardent 2.25 exo on the back of my full suss. Great tyre, as said above can get a little over whelmed in mud but seen as the lakes is mostly rock it’s not a problem.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You only need Dual Ply on HT’s and/or if you can’t pick a line are slow

FIFY. You might as well make the same recommendation to a DH racer; oh you need dual ply tyres? You must be really bad at picking a line!

I tend to run a 2.35 dual ply Maxxis either High Roller or Minion depending on what I can get hold of. It’s only about 50g heavier than a UST Rubber Queen of the same size and is more stable in the turns.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Minion DHRII new 2.3 tubeless ready trail version

Awesome. DHR2 review

Like the relatively beefy 2.25 Ardent LUST as a bigger volume rock absorbing rear too but its relatively shallow tread depth can’t touch the Minion for traction, cornering hard or braking. Draggy? Nah…..grow some quads.

Northwind

geetee1972 – Member

I tend to run a 2.35 dual ply Maxxis either High Roller or Minion depending on what I can get hold of. It’s only about 50g heavier than a UST Rubber Queen of the same size

(about 250g- comparing 2.2 RQ with 2.35 Minion as they’re about the same size)

liquid
    Free Member

Regular lakes rider here using a Ardent 2.25 exo on the back of my full suss. Great tyre, as said above can get a little over whelmed in mud but seen as the lakes is mostly rock it’s not a problem

I’m lakes based +1 for this ^^ for front and back

duir
    Free Member

You only need Dual Ply on HT’s and/or if you can’t pick a line

Was in T’Lakes the other week riding with the local nutters. Almost all run 2 ply maxxis or exo rear and those people are seriously sh*t hot riders who are definitely not slow and can certainly pick a line.

If you can get away with single ply tyres in the Lakes you are either an 8 stone weakling or most definitely not fast!

I recently threw the new Minion DHR II on the back for a Torridon trip (where the trails are R.A.F. like the lakes) and never had a puncture where everyone else did. It’s a decent price, size, rolls quite well and goes up easily tubeless if that’s your bag.

tomaso
    Free Member

Chunky monkey on the rear sounds like a cost effective option. Got one on the front and its great – as good as a triple compound Mini on that has an RRP of ££££££££

@Rob Jackson- what’s a Chunkey Monkey like on the rear as they are quite wide for clearance etc?

dantsw13

Smorgasbord rear matches really well with chunky monkey. It was ace in the Alps, so should handle The Lakes fine.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments. Definitely lots of interesting debate there. Two that stand out for me is the ardent and the smorgasbord. So, I’m going to take a punt on the On One Smorgasbord trail extreme version which is dual ply. I’m not the lightest rider, and I do like to put the hammer down, but more importantly, I don’t buy very heavily into the weight saving side of things, and would rather ride something that I know is going to stay inflated for longer. The peace of mind is worth the few extra grams. And the price point is fantastic!

Thanks for all your comments.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not dual ply

tomaso
    Free Member

On the inside of the Chunky Monkey I bought it said dual ply printed in chalk, but doesn’t weigh like a zDual Ply

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Maybe I meant dual compound, I dunno. Butt the gubbins about the trail extreme version defo said dual something! We shall see. In any case, if I get flats on every ride with my new tyre, I’ll certainly be letting you all know, and then switching to one of the other suggestions on here pretty quickly!

In other news; I did one last ride around the Grizedale bridleways yesterday (got saturated) and had a right blast throwing my very loose and practically balded Advantage through some very slippy, wet rocky corners, and despite picking some fairly smart lines throughout, I still managed to find the odd vertical slate kerb of a rain gully here and there without any incident, so I think the sturdier tyre is definitely going to be the right option for me, as I’m sure I won’t always get the luck of the draw for punctures in those situations!

Thanks again for all your help guys. Got some really useful pointers from this thread!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

chunky monkey so far superior to smorgasbord in every way

geetee1972
    Free Member

(about 250g- comparing 2.2 RQ with 2.35 Minion as they’re about the same size)

I think that’s the non UST version though. The UST RQ is quite a bit heavier and only about 50g lighter than a dual ply Minion/HR.

Almost all run 2 ply maxxis or exo rear and those people are seriously sh*t hot riders who are definitely not slow and can certainly pick a line.

Glad it wasn’t just me who held that view.

grum
    Free Member

I used to ride in the Lakes all the time, weigh 16 stone, riding a Pitch with 160mm forks, and am obviously super-quick 😉

No-one I know uses dual ply tyres in the Lakes. There’s really no need as long as you have sensible pressures and sturdy sidewalls. I like Big Earl wets but I dunno if you can get them any more. Specialized Purgatory Control are ok.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used to ride in the Lakes all the time, weigh 16 stone, riding a Pitch with 160mm forks, and am obviously super-quick

No-one I know uses dual ply tyres in the Lakes. There’s really no need as long as you have sensible pressures and sturdy sidewalls.
    Was kind of my point, know plenty who don’t you might not have seen them as the flashed past…

I used them for a while and did on the HT till I left, with 150mm of travel under my arse and a properly inflated minion (32ish) I got the occasional puncture but it was worth it to avoid the draggy/sluggish DP’s

pussywillow
    Free Member

If you can get away with single ply tyres in the Lakes you are either an 8 stone weakling or most definitely not fast!

This 8)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New all rounder Lake District rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.