Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • New Alien/ Prometheus film
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

So this totally ignores the fact a bunch of Xenomorphs were chased around a pyramid under the ice in AvP by Weyland himself, and the army rocked up in AvP Requiem?

Drac

Just a glorification of the American military from start to finish.

Except it about being one big cluster ****.

I saw American Gangster and can’t remember anything about it, not a good sign.

Fantastic film.

jimjam
    Free Member

Drac

Just a glorification of the American military from start to finish.

Except it about being one big cluster ****.[/quote]

Nope. The reality was a politcal mess that led to a cluster ****. The film was a story about triumph in the face of adversity and an advert for the heroism and bravery of the American war machine in the face of an inhuman (non human foe) that made no effort to explain the situation.

Reports vary but some sources estimate the Americans killed up to 2000 civilians during that battler – it seems plausible since their own records show they fired hundreds of thousands of rounds into Mogadishu from helicopter gunships. Here’s an account from the Washington post about an earlier engagement

]it was a slaughter. A half-dozen Cobras pumped sixteen TOW missiles and two thousand rounds of cannon fire into the house with deadly accuracy. First they blew away the stairwell to prevent anyone from escaping. … A video taken just after the attack showed the mangled bodies literally blown apart in the attack—the religious leaders, the elders, even the women in their colorful wrap dresses who were always on hand to serve the tea.

That attack apparently turned the civilian population against them which is why so many civilians rounded on them when they got stuck.

But hey, they’re only “skinnies”. Faceless black rabble who can be blown apart with rpg’s, grenades and machine gun fire. It’s not like they feel pain like white people, the way white people do when they lose part of their thumb for example. 🙄

EDIT. Rolling eyed smiley added to highlight implied sarcasm, as opposed racism, but no doubt I’ll get reported for racist comments anyway.

nickc

Also Black Rain

edit:

Thelma and Louise?

what d’you mean? that you didn’t know Ridley Scott had directed it, or you don’t know of the film? If it’s the first, then your comments about his hit rate is a bit suspect if you’re not aware of his filmography, if it’s the latter, your opinion of what makes a good film is pretty suspect outside your own narrow interests

I would suggest..

Pigface
    Free Member

New trailer looks a lot more promising

mikey74
    Free Member

Didn’t Shaw go off with David at the end of Prometheus? If so, isn’t it likely that he would have tracking equipment built-in, making it possible for the corporation to find out where they went.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Most people I’ve heard on it or spoken to see to have the complete opposite view

Turns out my other half really is a perfect match for me then, she reached virtually the exact same conclusions.

Interesting to read how much Ridley doubt there is out there, I really did think I was in a minority there also.
    American Gangster – great soundtrack (they kind or relied on the soundtrack,no?) but I too can barely remember the plot. It’s not up there with Goodfellas/Heat/Godfathers/King of New York/Departed. Heck, I’d rate it below Donnie Brasco/Carlitos Way

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Member

Also Black Rain

edit:

Thelma and Louise?

what d’you mean? that you didn’t know Ridley Scott had directed it, or you don’t know of the film? If it’s the first, then your comments about his hit rate is a bit suspect if you’re not aware of his filmography, if it’s the latter, your opinion of what makes a good film is pretty suspect outside your own narrow interests

I would suggest..

I know he directed Thelma and Louise, it’s just a totally generic road movie / chick flick. Similarly, Black Rain is a buddy cop action film that looks lovely and has an exotic feel because it’s set in Japan.

Neither are “bad” films, but they wouldn’t convince me that Ridley Scott is interested in doing anything other than make safe films that look good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other opinions are available…

nickc

it’s just a totally generic road movie / chick flick.

It may be several things, award winning, selected for the Library of congress as worthy of preservation because of it’s importance, but “generic” it is not.

😆

legend
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member

So this totally ignores the fact a bunch of Xenomorphs were chased around a pyramid under the ice in AvP by Weyland himself, and the army rocked up in AvP Requiem?

I think we’re all trying to ignore those movies.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc

It may be several things, award winning, selected for the Library of congress as worthy of preservation because of it’s importance, but “generic” it is not.

Other than the fact it had female leads, what was new, original, ground breaking, different or unpredictable about Thelma and Louise?

nickc

Apart from the 41 awards it was nominated for? 😆

it was a revenge film, road film, buddy film, escape, feminist film all rolled into one, it was praised for it’s cinematography, it’s soundtrack, it’s cast and the life that they all bought to the roles they played. It was recognised as an instant classic and groundbreaking in it’s cross-over of genres.

mattyfez

I loved alien and aliens as a kid, and controversial, I know, I really enjoyed prometheus too. More on the second watch.

I’m really looking forward to this.

I won’t mention alien resurrection.

mattyfez

The Martian, whilst entertaining, was complete cheese on toast.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc
    Apart from the 41 awards it was nominated for? 😆

it was a revenge film, road film, buddy film, escape, feminist film all rolled into one, it was praised for it’s cinematography, it’s soundtrack, it’s cast and the life that they all bought to the roles they played. It was recognised as an instant classic and groundbreaking in it’s cross-over of genres.

mattyfez

Although aliens was kind of a cheesey action film, it’s just unbeatable, such a great story and every second line is a timeless quote.

‘they’re Comming out of the God damn walls man! ‘

‘ have you ever been mistaken for a man? ‘

‘ no have you? ‘

And hicks having a melt down’ game over man game over! ‘

I’m gonna have to download this now to watch tonight. Best film ever.

nickc

🙄

ninfan defence? (nothing intelligent to say, so here’s a gif)

jimjam
    Free Member

Yep. I have realised that I am out of my depth and I’m dealing with an intellect vastly superior to my own. To carry on would be a waste of time.

Wookster

I was disappointed with the Martian, it was ok, but I’d such high hopes as I’d really enjoyed the book, I felt the humour, and timescale didn’t translate to the film as well as it should have.

kelvin

Recently bought all the Alien films on DVD.
    Love Aliens and 3.
    Enjoyed Prometheus.
    Thelma and Louise is a classic.

rocketman
    Free Member

BTW for anyone who wants to see what we should have had in Prometheus, the original script (before that phallus from Lost dicked about with it) is online if you search for “alien engineers script”

Very good read. What a great film that would’ve made

Cougar

Full trailer is out.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8[/video]

Oh yes.

CountZero

I think we’re all trying to ignore those movies.
    The best AvP movie is yet to be made, based on a Dark Horse B&W comic series. It postulates that Predators have a captive Alien queen, which they use to ‘seed’ planets with eggs, wait until they infect the native fauna, then send young Predators down to hunt them as a particularly deadly rite-of-passage.
    Bringing in all sorts of unnecessary mystical bollocks just means added cheese of a overly high olfactory value.
    In the comic, they choose a planet which already has a human colony, cue mayhem.
    In the second Predator film there’s an Alien xenomorph skull on the wall of the ship hidden in New York, and in the third one, Predators, the premise is similar in that the Predators are capturing the most ‘talented’ human killers for young Predators to hunt on an alien planet.
    A film I really did enjoy.

chewkw
    Free Member

I shall only watch it when it’s free on telly … 😆

mattyfez

The trailer looks a little like an alien (1) reboot with Hollywood effects, I hope I’m wrong.

I’ll watch it at the cinema anyway as it’s one of the few types of films I’d pay to watch.. I hope there’s a lot more to it than the trailer suggests!

sirromj

Really looking forward to seeing it. Liked all the Alien films, though attempted rewatch Alien but didn’t have the patience.

Re: The Martian – it’s definitely better than Passengers, bunch of pap.

kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Cmf4BuNgg[/video]

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘New Alien/ Prometheus film’ is closed to new replies.