Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New 4x / Jump / Play bike?
  • whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

I’m looking to build up a second bike out of all the spare parts I’ve got lying around. Trail/XC duties are already taken care of by the C456. I’d like something for a bit of racing, messing about on local bmx/pump tracks and some jumps/trails thrown in.

Would prefer a lightish frame and something I can run geared. Been looking at the Dartmoor Phantom and Nukeproof Snap.

Anything else I should look at before I hit buy?

Thanks

DT78
    Free Member

Sounds like you,ve made your mind up… If not I have a little used Dmr sidekick which is great for playing around with. Full bike for sale, scan my posts and you’ll find a fs ad.

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Cheers, will have a look.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flange
    Free Member

I’ve got a Curtis 4x frame built up – not the lightest but handles nicely.

GW
    Free Member

ID Crisis, STP, Bank, P series?

I’d avoid needlessly heavy steel frames (but that’s me)

bigjim

I have a yeti dj built up from spare bits and it scares me lots.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I will have a transition vagrant frame that makes a good playbike in the next two weeks once ive swapped parts off it, freshly powdercoated in stealth black with full set of coloured decals
    Email if tinterested
    Matt

mobes
    Free Member

got an Evil Faction frame for sale. only used it 4 times. comes with headset and seat post.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140805760634?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

honourablegeorge

Would you ship that to Ireland, mobes?

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. Will have a look.

Would like to stay away from heavy steel frames. Bank looks nice and I did check out the Krisis.

Too many choices, not enough money..

mobes
    Free Member

i wouldnt have a problem posting it to Ireland

handyandy
    Free Member

Bank has a great reputation, and the Krisis is also well liked. Dartmoor Phantom has been scoring well in 4x also, so all are worthy contenders.

Dont forget Charge Blender for a little more flexibility in its usage

GW
    Free Member

How does a blender offer more flexabiity?

handyandy
    Free Member

Blender is not as single minded as a full on 4x bike. Climbing on a 4x bike is pretty awful (in my opinion) and the blender is slightly more forgiving (once again, my opinion).

_tom_
    Free Member

The Blenders slack seat angle won’t make it much use for climbing, I think the only advantage would be that it has a longer seat tube. For example the Nukeproof Snap has a 73 degree seat angle which would be better for pedalling.. but then it only has a 13″ seat tube so would need either short legs or a really long post. The point of these bikes is having fun anyway so no need for sit down pedalling!

ayles1983
    Free Member

What about something like this I’m selling?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1143032/

RobHilton
    Free Member

Bought a mythic rampant frame today after much umming and ahing about similar frames – ruled out many similar(ish) ones due to them having having concentric BB pivots.

Did have a BFe, but was thinking I could do with something pretty much the same but with a bit of rear travel as safety net (ambition not matched by ability), then broke the BFe, so that forced my hand.

Wasn’t keen on the price, but it is nice and shiny 🙂

GW
    Free Member

What 4x bikes have you climbed on Andy?

Geometry on any 4x bike I’ve ridden has been better for climbing than a blenders’ and a 4x frame should be both stiffer and lighter too.

nwill1
    Free Member

I agree with handyandy….I have owned a blender for 3 years & use it for everything, yes its no mountain goat when it comes to climbing but offers the flexibility in the fact (height dependant) you can get a post high enough to pedal, others may have “better” seat tube angles but that’s useless unless your a midget, even at 400mm they’re not big enough to pedal seated.

nwill1
    Free Member

Plus you pick a frame up for £100 good bang for your bucks.

chamley
    Free Member

My brother has a blender and it’s a dog on the climbs. But he rates it as one of the greatest DH hardtails, embarasses people on full suspension in the alps on it so puts up with the pap climbing.

I’ve got an STP and it climbs really well, certainly not single minded. I use it for everything, massively versatile and really light for what it is, reckon most ali 4x frames will be pretty similar.

higgi
    Free Member

i`ve got a Intence Tazer HT with Sektors on it . climbs well and good fun

thepodge
    Free Member

Rob, as someone with a concentric bb frame on my main bike, I’m curious why you would rule one out.

GW
    Free Member

nwill – is a 5’11″/6′ male considered to be a midget these days?

I ride a small/short STP (14″ seat tube) with a 410mm post and QR, double chainset/8spd cassette and light but strong build for everything from all day XC to DH to dirtjumping/4X/BMX track/pissing about and it’s much more versatile than a friends blender (quicker DH and better at jumping too 😉 )

the more common large/long size STP has roughly the same length seat tube as a blender but much better geometry all round.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted an Intense Tazer like higgi. I just really like the styling…

RobHilton
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    Rob, as someone with a concentric bb frame on my main bike, I’m curious why you would rule one out.

Received wisdom (claims posted on various forums) dictates pedalability of concentric bb to be gash.

I have no first hand knowledge of such matters and, while I’m not really one to blindly believe every/anything I read, I am willing to accept that other peoples’ posts relating their experiences may have some truth to them.

So… here’s where you tell me your bike pedals just great and I choose whether to believe you :mrgreen:

P.S. This may not have been the reason for ruling out all concentric bb frames – the Kona Bass on CRC would have been mine as it was a nice price, but there was something else putting me off it, that I don’t renember – aside from the colour 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Well I couldn’t say it’s any better or worse than any other design I’ve ridden, just different.

I’m running it SS / with an alfine so maybe that makes it better than running it with a rear mech

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New 4x / Jump / Play bike?’ is closed to new replies.