Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New 3 man tent needed – Salewa?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’ve have a North Face Stratos for, er, a long while – probably 15 years. Wow.

It’s finally had it. The windows (which aren’t on the one pictured so must have been taken off later) have failed and split, it’s tearing at a lot of the anchor points on the fly. It was great though – masses of mesh ventilation that could all be closed off when it was cooler.

Looking for a replacement – 3 person (so comfortable for 2), 2 decent porches, well vented enough to cope with summer but waterproof and wind resistant enough to cope with summer in the Lake District. Ideally dome so pitchable without guys (Glastonbury and busy campsites mean I like to avoid them)

Salewa Sierra Leone 3 looks like it has most of the features we want but I don’t much about their stuff. Vaude Campo Grande is another option.

Any more suggestions? The 3/4 season idea seems to have gone out of fashion a bit.

matt_outandabout

I a have not used that model, the only Salewa I used was inner pitch (I dont like) first, but nicely made IIRC.

Alpkit are selling their 3-man Heska off at present (my Alpkit tent is well made and good).

I just had a look at the Vaude tents – we are looking at 5person, something like the Campo Casa XT, so that I can take it in canoe etc, rather than huuuge tent from boot of car. Not seen one in real life, so couldn’t comment.

Some cheap TNF tents kicking about that look good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-seasons-The-North-Face-Talus-3-Eu-New-Taupe-Green-Scallion-Green-3-Places-/121288225029?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item1c3d577105

You are right about the lack of more-than-valley-camping, better in bad weather, but not full on mountain tent.

aP
    Free Member

Hey Simon, you know you need a T5 camper van now…

flowerpower
    Free Member

Another vote for Alpkit, I have a three man Zhota which seems to tick all your boxes, but might be a bit too pricey. I got mine when they were selling them off about 6 months ago – for £250, but I see that now they are back to £350… https://www.alpkit.com/products/zhota

Can’t see the Heska on the web site at all :/

Jake25

I have had one of these Blacks Aquilla for about 7 years now. I have been very happy with it.

hot_fiat

Salewa kit is usually very good, though quite pricey. Not seen any of their tents in the flesh, one thing that does stand out about the pictures of the Sirerra Leone is that it’s a simple cruciform dome tent, which might make it susceptible to being blown flat.

Got a Terra Nova Ultra Quasar (which cost £££s) & an Alpkit Heska (which didn’t). I honestly cant see the difference in construction or workmanship between the two.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d not say money’s no object but happy to pay more for quality (I’m sure we paid over £300 for the North Face way back when). The best made tents I’ve ever seen are Hillebergs – we’ve actually got a Nammatj 2 that we’re probably going to sell. All the materials are superb, it’s super light and surprisingly roomy but as a proper 4 season tent it just doesn’t have the venting capability for UK summer use.

The Heksa isn’t on their site anymore – Google Cache – but looks huge. I don’t quite get why Alpkit do that – a ‘not currently available’ would be better, dead links break the web.

The Zhota isn’t too spendy but looks very small for something that’s claiming to be 3-4 person. I can’t work out the inner length but the sleeping width seem to be only 140cm – the 3 North Face, Salewa and Vaude are all c180cm. It also looks a bit more 4 season that maybe I need.

Salewa kit is usually very good, though quite pricey……… Sirerra Leone is that it’s a simple cruciform dome tent, which might make it susceptible to being blown flat.

I’ve found it for a 35% discount which covers the first point.

The NF had a third pole – it was remarkably stable. The outer velco’d onto the inner at each of those points visible which was a faff but also helped stability and ensured the outer stayed clear of the inner in wind. Really couldn’t fault much about it.

The Talus doesn’t quite match up. Smaller porches, 20cm narrower sleep area, half mesh doors so overventilated on a cold night…. we quite often zipper up the door mesh and just had the top part open on the Stratos. Also, no longer a full dome so probably not as stable.

welshfarmer

I have had a Salewa 2 man tent for 20 years. Lightweight and good quality. Bunt a hole in the inner cooking indoors in Slovenia (don’t try this at home kids!) and the main zip had packed in. But unless quality has dropped significantly in recent years I would have no trouble recommending the brand.

hot_fiat

I made a mistake, I’ve a zhota, not a heska. I’ll see if i’ve any photos.

hot_fiat

Got the zhota out this morning to take some measurements of the inner:

Which is weird as they don’t match up with what’s on alpkit’s site:

Packed, it’s just a bit bulkier than the quasar (bottom)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So are you saying the inner tent (sleeping compartment) is only 210 on it’s longest side? I’m 195cm tall so that’s going to be too small for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New 3 man tent needed – Salewa?’ is closed to new replies.