Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New 29er wheel recommnedation
  • oddjob
    Free Member

Monday night saw the sad demise of my on-one 29er rear hub. Turning the pedals, but no drive at the wheel. That is the second set of wheels I've had from them and the second dissapointment, but that is not what I want to get into.
    I am looking for a new set of wheels, I'm a big bloke (15stone) so I don't want anything too flexy, but I don't really do anything extreme and I race from time to time so I want something light as well. I can't find anyone on line who is building 29" wheels (in my 26" days I would have gone straight to Merlin for some hope/mavic goodies) so as far as I can see the best option I have is the Shimano XT set that CRC are flogging with 20% off.
    Any experience, thoughts or recommendations?
    Cheers

twinklydave

Those shimano ones you're looking at are actually really nice wheels, I've been running them on and off for the best part of a year without having to true them or fettle the hubs at all yet

OK I don't weigh as much as you, but I've done my best to ****t them over lots of rocks and generally abuse them in an xc stylee

they're light enough to race and don't flex anywhere near as much as the bontrager race-x-lite wheelset I sometimes use (or as much as the shimano hub/open pro rim self built wheels I've got, but theat's more down to my lack of wheelbuilding skills…)

meikle_partans
    Free Member

the dmr revolver freehub that you need to replace is only about £12

or

http://www.justridingalong.com/?product=200

Shred
    Free Member

Stans Arch rims built with which ever hub you want:

Just Riding Along wheels – front page

oddjob
    Free Member

Don't tell my wife that I only need to spend 12 quid when she's given me permission for new wheels 😉
    The on-one wheels are really heavy but I guess I can try to replace the freehub and see how I get on with that.
    Thanks for the advice

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive put the old on-one freehub replacement guide up on my site too

http://www.northmalvern.co.uk/doghub.htm

Might as well get them sellable and make some pocket money.

jfeb
    Free Member

So the On-One hubs are DMR Revolvers? Good to know.

alexonabike

oddjob –

If the on-one wheel is in ok nick, other than the fubar'd freehub, I may be interested if you want shot of it. I'm after a very cheap 29er rear wheel for an experiment!

JoeNation
    Free Member

Don't tell 'er indoors about the £12 fix, and buy some new ones anyway 🙂 DT Swiss X470 rims look pretty good, not too heavy. Lace up to some Hope hubs and you'll be set.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New 29er wheel recommnedation’ is closed to new replies.