Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New 29er HT frame options
  • stayhigh

Morning all

I’m in the market for a new 29er frame with either an ECB or sliding dropouts for easy SS/geared action, 100-120mm travel and a 27.2 seat tube although really a deal breaker.

It will be used for commuting, general xc/hacking round the woods and riding with my lad. I like the look of the Solaris which reviews well but doesnt have the the dropouts/ECB. What else should I be thinking of?

Budget would be £500 tops.

Cheers all

ratherbeintobago

I’m planning to buy an El Mariachi in the new year, which fits your spec (fork travel is 100mm).

Highball alloy might also work?

shortcut

Your need for a 27.2 post makes it really difficult with your other requirements. Only option I can think I is a Singular Swift. Most bikes now have larger posts to accommodate dropper posts.

ratherbeintobago

What fork travel does the Swift take?

El Mar definitely 27.2 seat post; SC website suggests it he Highball is 30.9. How much of a deal breaker is the post? Can get a shim to run your existing one…

stayhigh

Sorry, original post should have said “really isnt a deal breaker” as far as the seat post was concerned.

El Mariachi is nice and would mean not having to change seat post but open to suggestions.

ratherbeintobago

What seat post is it? Might be open to swapping my 30.9 Thomson…

kinger

I had a similar list for my HT frame and went for the Highball alloy in the end – rides super nice and the SS dropouts work really well. Normally have a 100mm fork in it although have currently fitted a set of Carver Trail rigids and it’s still a blast, dropper seatpost fitted as well 🙂

stayhigh

ratherbeintobago; tbh honest you wouldnt want it, its a scuffed to hell old carbon post that I’ve had forever.

The Highball looks nice but is over my budget; #500 being a bit of a stretch as it is 🙁

djflexure

Always fancied an El Mariachi but ended up with an Inbred as it was so much cheaper. Very happy with it so far. Built up rigid SS. Wonder if you can actually tell the difference in real life? I think the frame is 100 pounds today.

dantsw13

%20 off frames today only at on-one! That makes a Ti Fireline only £559

ratherbeintobago

Inbred

IIRC t’Inbred has got a 1.125″ HT, which is potentially a bit of a pain when so many 29er forks come with tapered steerers.

Having said this, an Inbred and an El Mar weigh much the same.

stayhigh

I had considered a 456 or Scandal, loved my 26er, but they’ve been out of stock forever. My fork is a 1 1/18 so if it has a tapered headtube would have to get a mixer headset.

takisawa2

I would happily have another Inbred. Don’t get hung up on the weight thing, they ride well with the right bits.
    Other contenders, Niner SIR.9 (pricey, but honestly, mine is the best riding bike I’ve ever ridden), Pace RC129 is very nice (great attention to detail), Cotic Simple…?

benji
    Free Member

I looked at the highball and the simple, but ended up buying a Pace RC129, it’s lovely, had already had a cannondale with an ECB and it was a bit of a pain compared to the ease and reliability of sliders. If you had a bigger budget the Ritchey 29er frame is slider dropouts as well, might be worth looking for a deal on one. Seen a few reduced Yeti bigtops about as well, but just outside your budget at present.

sillyoldman

Cannondale EBBs are not particularly representative – they are uniquely awful.

OP – why the 27.2mm post requirement?

Sounds like a Swift would be a good buy if you’re happy to stick with 100mm?

stayhigh

Have just seen the Genesis High Latitude. Sliding drop outs, 100mm travel, 27.2 post and in budget.

sillyoldman

Was going to suggest the High Latitude as it’s lovely, but it either comes SS/hub gear specific (horizontal dropouts, no hanger) or with vertical dropouts for derailleur use.

stayhigh

27.2 would be handy so I dont have to get a new one but it’s not the end of the world.

Hmmm, may have to rethink on the Latitude; while I mainly go ss its nice to have the option of gears. That said I guess really its no big deal to have a tensioner I just prefer the cleaner looking lines without.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New 29er HT frame options’ is closed to new replies.