Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • New (1st) Project (and broken RS Darts)
  • wombat

I’m about to start a bike refurb/rebuild project using a complete Giant Terrago 2 that I’ve acquired.

The bike will be for my 13yo son to knock about on as he’s outgrowing his Rockrider.

A stripdown and refitting of the bike will get it running nicely with (hopefully) only a cassette and chain being required as the rest of the drivetrain appears to be fine.

However, the bike currently has a set of RS Darts that have completely siezed so will need either rebuilding or replacing.

Question is…would rebuilding them be worthwhile (given that I’ll probably need a new set of internals for them) or would I be better off sourcing a 2nd hand set of 26″ straight steerer forks suitable for use with disks?

I’ve not started dismantling the forks yet so don’t know what the problem is but I suspect it’s terminal.

soobalias
    Free Member

i cant imagine that new internals for RS Darts will be viable.
    pull them apart, if it looks like they will work with a clean/grease/oil then do that.
    IME you will know if they are dead when you drop the lowers.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’d whack some On One Rigids and big 2.4 tyres, lighter a=nd still plenty of suspension.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wombat

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll strip them down during the week and see how knackered they look.

I’d rather not go rigid purely because he likes having sus forks (prob because all his mates have them on their BSOs)

I suspect I’ll be in the market for a set of s/h forks….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘New (1st) Project (and broken RS Darts)’ is closed to new replies.