Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New 18V Makita cordless drill. Too many model numbers!
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Time for a new drill. Want to get a twin pack. i.e two drills. One for me and one for my Dad.

Other than the battery pack size what is the difference between all the difference numbers!

I lkie this one.

but this one is on a different number?

Confused. Any clarification?

nickjb
    Free Member

There are a few differences. Biggest difference is the second one is brushless. Makes it a bit more efficient so more battery life also one less thing to wear out. Brushes are usually the first thing to go on decent power tools. Its a little bit shorter too which is nice in tight spaces.

maccruiskeen

The numbers are just model numbers really, may indicAte higher or lower spec, or just newer or older models
    Look up the spec and compare them and any others that catch your eye. Newer models will have brushless motors that are more efficient so you get a longer run time from the battery, some will have metal gear boxes or full metal gear housings – stronger but there’s a weight penalty. Most useful comparison ( and the one usually least clearly stated)is torque.

I think with the makita range the last few letters in the model number are the bits the drill body is bundled with rather than differences in the drill itself- so they indicate the number of batteries in the pack, type of charger, even the type of box it’s in etc.

Keep in mind if you are buying a twin pack to split you’ll only get one charger. if splitting them and only using one battery each then look at charge times too. Makita tends to have some of the fastest charging batteries/chargers (apart from a few rogue non lxt models. The 3 amp battery chargers much faster than the larger capacity ones so you get shorter down time. You’d need to decide if it’s better to charge quicker or less often

TheBrick
    Free Member

Good point on the splitting a twin pack. Think We will end up with 2 singles.

bencooper
    Free Member

I had a brushed Makita. It set itself on fire after a couple of months. It’s brushless replacement has lasted a year so far, still going strong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

http://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/what-makita-drill-to-buy/

Just avoid the even cheaper one you get in b&q and a few other places, it doesnt even use the same battery and charger.

Ive the ‘basic’ 453, its still a whole world better than cheap ‘diy’ drills.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thanks that’s exactly the link I just found. Really useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New 18V Makita cordless drill. Too many model numbers!’ is closed to new replies.