• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by devs.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Nevis Range Red in the rain
  • mbr30
    Free Member

Off to Fort Bill on Friday and had hoped for a nice hot weekend. It’s now looking like it’a going to be peeing down.
    So..has anyone rode the new red in the wet and is it actually possible? I’ve heard the boardwalks dont have chicken wire on them

13thfloormonk

I’m pretty sure any trail built in fort william will have been built to be rideable in the wet!

We’re going to be further west again (Mallaig area) with the tents that weekend, with four girls, so I’m not even prepared to accept it might rain, the consequences don’t bear thinking about…

supertacky
    Free Member

All doable in the wet. The downhill tacks actually ride better damp than when dry – More grip.

matt_outandabout

You
    Will
    Die
    *fact*

WackoAK
    Free Member

Chicken wire has been installed where it would matter now, I’ve done it in the wet and not really an issue. Main issue is if the wind is strong but that generally only affects one corner at the end of the main boardwalk.

falkirk-mark

You do realise 10 UTB is on this coming weekend and uses a lot of the red

ton

i rode the red boardwalk downhill last september, it was bone dry.
    i would not like to ride it in the wet.
    the chicken wire was very slippy in the dry.

Innes
    Free Member

We did it in the rain yesterday and it was fine. As others have said the wind makes it harder, but the weather quite often changes a lot over the day.

The chicken wire helps for confidence in the rain.

anto164
    Free Member

I’m there Friday and Saturday (19th/20th) and will be mainly riding the DH, but if the red is open, then we will be riding that too.

The full DH is open, but we may have to stop to give way to let riders racing to cross the DH track on the sat.

the_lecht_rocks

i thought it was closed for 10 undr the ben ?

mbr30
    Free Member

It’s not closed it just says there is parts where you have to give way.

Thanks for the replies. Should be interesting!

Harder then yer average red IMO.

I found sections trickier than some black graded stuff at other trail centres.

acehtn
    Free Member

Dont remember chicken wire when i did it…soon after it opened.

It was wet and not bad.

However i jumped the little table on the boardwalk…. it was wet and very windy….the bog makes for a slightly smelly but soft landing when you get blown off. If its really windy dont try and get air 😀 and you cross the WC DH track just below the big wooden wallride, as i remember you have to get through a chicane, then its fireroad down to the carpark, or just ride down the motorway section of the WC track, which is in very good order right now.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Falkirk Mark, the red used for 10 under and the DH red are two different trails.

falkirk-mark

I should have relised he meant the red downhill when he referred to it as the new red. In that case we found the boardwalks okay in the dry that was the day after last years ten

Northwind

They’ve just built an underpass for the puggy line but I don’t know if that’s just the proper dh or if it also includes the red. Red crosses over the 10UTB course in one place.

The boardwalks up the red are better than you’d think in the wet, not sure what they used but it doesn’t go slimy as some boardwalk does, and a lot of it has some sort of grey finish on it which I guess is grip paint of some sort. Slippier than normal obviously though. Still even if you just treat the woodwork as link trails as some people do, the course is still great fun for the rocks and dirt.

mrplow
    Free Member

Don’t get too cocky on the last left hand corkscrew on the board walk. DH bike, super tackys and I still manage a good sized 2 wheel slide before being ejected down the hill! 😮

Diane
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on – not sure i’d fancy it in the wet

devs
    Free Member

slightly smelly but soft landing when you get blown off.

Hur hur, kyick kyick. he said blown off hur hur.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Nevis Range Red in the rain’ is closed to new replies.