Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Never thought it would come to this, but "What estate for £4k for 2 years?"
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

@slackboy
    Unfortunately French cars are not permitted. I think I will have to go with German, Japanese, or even Korean (Kia) if I can find somewhere close enough with one for sale.

slowoldman

Cars like the Passat are good cars, but the badge holds a premium

You would think so, but look around and you’ll find second hand Passats aren’t too bad. At the time I bought mine I thought an Octavia was the way to go but the Passat was cheaper! You will probably find current secondhand Passats go cheaper than Golfs too. Not that I fancy one – electric handbrake and all that. I think I’ll go Japanese next.

Reliability is a funny one. I’ve had several cars which people thought were hopelessly unreliable at the time (including two Rovers) and I’ve never been seriously let down or had a major bill. Makes me wonder if it’s luck or simply how some people treat their cars.

core

I posted a thread about golfs a few weeks ago, a car I was offered by a family member (ish), it was well overpriced was the consensus on here, and I agreed, but she sold the car for realistically £1k more than it was actually worth, just because it’s a VW. A boring, 100hp base spec. diesel VW.

I’m thinking of going bangernomics (isH), I’ve killed current car in 18 months (rual roads) so want something JAP, petrol, reasonably economical, reliable, decent suspension, 5 doors, hatchback.

Yaris/Civic/what else?

matttromans
    Free Member

[You don’t have the take the wheel arch lining off. You put the steering on full lock, undo a couple of lining screws and slip your hand in. Granted, it’s not as easy as opening the bonnet but it’s no more than 20mins.

Also, you’ll be hard pressed to find a modern car where access in the engine bay to headlights is easy.]

To be fair he isn’t the best with a spanner and did say that some of the screws were just spinning/not undoing. It did take him an hour though. As I said, no real point to the anecdote.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Alright, so the Accord is looking like the best option so far.

zigzag69
    Free Member

2 people plus bikes? I’ll just leave this here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/honda-civic-room-in-the-back-for-bikes

Do you really need an estate?

matt_outandabout

Also, you’ll be hard pressed to find a modern car where access in the engine bay to headlights is easy.

Yes you can! I can think of loads – our Galaxy and Seat Ibiza, our old Touran and Yaris, father in laws V40, mates Pug etc etc. I think there are a few that are duff…

deadkenny
    Free Member

In my Civic going down to Morzine – 2 people + 2 bikes, one being an XXL 29er (and the passenger XXL in length 😀 ), plus bags, tools, spares inc spare tyres.

All quite comfortable.

craigxxl
    Free Member

With a Skoda and BMW in our household I would recommend a Mondeo, my previous one was fantastic and very reliable. Citroen C5 is very nice and my mate swears by his but it is a big car. If the other half can’t park she’ll hate it. Toyota Avensis dull but reliable.

ransos
    Free Member

Alright, so the Accord is looking like the best option so far.

If it’s two people plus bikes, you really don’t need a car that big.

Inbred456
    Free Member

As said above 1.8 petrol Avensis Tourer. Nothing else will come close for reliability. Not bad to drive, people will let you out at junctions! At your budget you could go pre DPF diesel 2006 or earlier but I would stay with petrol.
    Accords are reliable but the petrol ones are really thirsty however you drive.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ll keep it in mind. It’s good to have 2/3 choices in case one of them isn’t available at the time I’m buying or isn’t quite right.

Speaking of not quite right. How come there is an Accord with under 70000 miles on the clock. The other one I can see is at the same price, but has 30000 miles more on the clock despite being the same age. Is there something spec wise I am not seeing?

butcher

There’s definitely a big distinction between reliability and ‘build quality’. I’m another Civic owner, and it seems impossible to kill it, but at the same time it feels cheaply built and slightly unrefined. It’s almost bizarre.

It’s been great though, and I’m thinking about an Accord next.

Accords are reliable but the petrol ones are really thirsty however you drive.

Have you owned one? Most places I’ve read says about 30mpg, which to me, isn’t bad at all for a big engined (relatively), big petrol car.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I get about 35-40mpg from my accord on an average run, it’s a 2.0Vtec. They are all over the place price wise but you should get a good one for 4ish there’s loads around so don’t rush.

thecaptain
    Free Member

So why are people so anti-diesel if your mileage is moderate? I wouldn’t go looking for one in particular, but didn’t have much choice once I’d settled on the vehicle. I get good economy and it’s not given any trouble.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just had a quick look at autotrader for sub £4K estates near me. While I’m a fan of Honda’s etc. it’s difficult to ignore stuff like a 2008 Focus estate with under 60K mileage for £3500, or a 2008 diesel Mondeo with 88K. There are plenty of cheap Saab estates now as well.

butcher

I get about 35-40mpg from my accord on an average run, it’s a 2.0Vtec.

Didn’t realise there was a 2.0 model. 40mpg is not bad at all. The older generations are 2.2 and 2.4 only I think.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I got around 30mpg average on my 2.0 Accord Estate which I thought was fine. My driving style isn’t particularly one that gives good mpg either.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The previous accord tourer was a 2.0 or 2.4. If you could get that one I posted for 4k that’s a decent buy but frankly I’d get an older one for less money as there’s no real advantage in spending more, 3k is more than enough for a good one.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Never thought it would come to this, but "What estate for £4k for 2 years?"’ is closed to new replies.