Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Never thought i'd see the day but i've finally gone over to the darkside
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Just got one of these with bike to work, will i have to shave my legs?

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes.

but you have to shave from the top down, as well as from the ankle up. You end up with a permanent pair of little hairy shorts…

18 months ago i was in the same position you are now, and already i can feel the need to mock your choice of a triple.

aracer
    Free Member

will i have to shave my legs?

Not if you're calling it "darkside".

swisstony
    Free Member

well i went into the shop for a cannondale badboy having no interest at all in roadbikes but came out with that, it's 105 group so not bad to start

I take it a triple is cheating?

ahwiles
    Free Member

a triple is a good idea; onna road bike you can get yourself miles from home, and into all sorts of trouble if your legs give up and there's a big hill or 4 between you and your sofa.

however, it is also a public display of weakness, and other roadies will mock you for it*.

when i was choosing my bike, i asked the lad in the shop if i should consider the Allez triple, he looked blankly at me and said;

'why? what's wrong with you?'

(* they'd love a triple, but have conformed to peer pressure. if pressed they will admit to using a mountain bike rear cassette to get an extra low bottom gear**)

(** maybe this is the real reason why shimano and Sram are releasing 10 speed groupsets next year: pressure from vain roadies)

GJP
    Free Member

Didn't see any triples on yesterday's £1m bike ride on the telly 😆

druidh
    Free Member

A triple?

* points and laughs*

What you want is a Compact and an 11-28 cassette 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I've just switched from a triple to a double. Why? Vanity, and the fact I'd stopped using the granny long ago.

Now, I can get up anything – Winnats this Sunday – on 39 and, if I need it, a 27 sprocket.

mrchrispy

2nd the 34/50 with a SRAM 11-28.

nice to know you have that 28 when it starts to hurt, trouble is it destroys you when you're in it and still getting passed!

radoggair
    Free Member

ttscchhh, 34/50 with 11-28

Us real men ride 39/53 with a 11-23, and its all about carbon

swisstony
    Free Member

Well i don't mind, the granny won't be getting much use though as i never use the granny on my current mtb commute.

people will probably be laughing more about my baggie top and shorts, i think my 5:10's might be bit much though!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Sure you will really enjoy it. After mountain biking for 18 months bought a Specialized Allez last July. Really found it fun and has made a huge difference to fitness. Make sure you get quick enough before you start shaving legs though!

Mister-P
    Free Member

A triple?

* points and laughs*

What you want is a Compact and an 11-28 cassette

Nah what you really want to do is man up a bit. That isn't a real road bike so your leg hairs are safe.

swisstony
    Free Member

What is it with you roadies can't a guy slip it into his granny once in a while?

MikeWW
    Free Member

What is it with you roadies can't a guy slip it into his granny once in a while?

Course you can. But after a while you will find you just won't need it.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Only if you carry lubricant.

I've never got triples on road bikes, unless you live in Nepal

zaskar
    Free Member

I started with a triple and it is a good start to save your knees and build up your mileage.

Nice bike btw and welcome to fun that is road riding (as well as any other and mtb riding)

rOcKeTdOg

WTF is the point of the bendy top tube when the cable is horizontal underneath it, looks awful, can't the design it better than that?

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Triples on road bikes are like longboards in surfing.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Triples on road bikes are like longboards in surfing.

No – Triples (and Compacts for that matter) on a roadbike are like putting a tractor's gearbox in an F1 car.

nonk
    Free Member

nah some lads have a real twiddly style so compact suits them better.

epicyclo

radoggair – Member
    ttscchhh, 34/50 with 11-28

Us real men ride 39/53 with a 11-23, and its all about carbon

Nah, real men ride 52/13 and it's all about steel.

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

Welcome and enjoy it! It's a nice looking bike.

A triple isn't cheating, it can help depending on the hills or mountains you ride…. Especially if you're moving over from a mountain bike for the first time. But like the others say, after awhile you'll find you don't need it – but it'll always be there as a back up!

And no you don't "have" to shave your legs. I don't!

aracer
    Free Member

Oh I do love all the "standard double" snobbery.

Didn't see any triples on yesterday's £1m bike ride on the telly

You mean the one where Walliams was struggling up the hill with too high a bottom gear? I'm sure he was glad not to be mocked for weakness though.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I think you should just ride it really far, farther than work anyway! you've gotta go past ice cream vendors and coffee shacks on the way. that's the rules. It's gonna feel pretty harsh for a bit but you'll love the easy inclines, distances and speed and wind in yer face. enjoy! if you really don't like it, try another saddle before binning it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Lose the big ring + put a bash ring on it. Sweet! 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Never thought i'd see the day but i've finally gone over to the darkside’ is closed to new replies.