Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Never thought I'd post a "Should I report them" thread…
  • cb

I am absolutely reporting this to the company but my question relates to whether or not this needs reporting to the police?

Walking the kids in this morning and we see a delivery truck for a well known retailer searching for an address. The truck is behind us – around 100 yards away. We are on a footpath alongside a narrow road which is a one way street (traffic would be coming from in front of us).

Next thing we hear is the truck barreling past us the wrong way down the street. It cuts right across us onto the footpath and blocks the entire path. This is not so uncommon these days with aggressive driving but if I hadn’t have grabbed hold of my eldest and pulled her back, she would have been crushed between the truck and the hedge.

I have to admit I lost it a bit at this stage and went and opened the driver’s door and offered some pretty fruity opinions of his driving. At no stage did I threaten him with anything other than reporting. His first reaction was to hold his hands up and apologise – this in my mind actually made it worse as he knew full well that he nearly hit my kids (other kids were right behind as well so pretty hard to miss) but went right ahead and did it anyway.

To compound things, the driver’s mate (who had been on foot) then threatened me! Apparently it would have “made his day” if I had tried to hit him etc etc… I’m sure a few of you on here are pretty handy I don’t do fighting so it wasn’t an option (although maybe I should learn!)

So back to the question – police or just company? Driver committed multiple offences but wasn’t at all aggressive physically. Driver’s mate just a thug in a uniform. There are witnesses to all of this.

Any opinions?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Report driver to company and mate to police.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Report them to their company.

thehustler
    Free Member

Both, end of

binners

mrchrispy

in for a penny and all that.

report to police and company.
    police wont do anything as no one is dead but it’ll give the complaint to the company for weight.

peteimpreza

Both, end of

And if you use social media on their Twitter and Facebook pages also

ads678

I’d report to the police as well. Even if the police just give them a warning it might make them think about what they have done.

nemesis
    Free Member

Regarding the driver, company and police. The Police won’t do anything of real consequence but they may well pay a visit and give him a bit of a shock.

Basically, it genuinely could be a kid’s face next time. A little lesson/telling off may actually help.

Regarding the other guy, both again. Similar outcome I expect but it doesn’t seem unreasonable while you’re going about it.

badnewz
    Free Member

Report it for the sake of getting it off your chest. But don’t expect anything to come of it.

pictonroad

I wouldn’t bother, what are they going to do? Put yourselves in their shoes, no crime committed, no victim, no evidence. I can’t see it going to the top of the to-do pile.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

both, I had a similar situation about a month ago when a delivery van nearly took me out with an illegal move. He pulled in a few hundred yards further and I stopped and had a ‘cough’ chat with him. He was very aggressive. Reported him to the company and he was disciplined and I was apologised to by the area manager of the delivery depot. Just call them and get on with it. unacceptable.

D0NK

Opening the door is quite an aggressive thing to do*, seems a bit daft when you think about it, but you’re invading the drivers sacrosanct space, if driver’s “mate”** was simply watching out for his friend, who he thought was about to be attacked, then that is partly understandable (I’m not saying forgivable) depends exactly how much of a tool he was being, from OP it sounds somewhere between quite a bit and colossal.

I’d probably report both to both

*that said I have done it myself, in an attempt to get the bloke (who had already knocked me off my bike) to stop trying to drive over my bike even more.

** you don’t say what sort of mate, just an acquaintance who was passing by? or was he working for the same company and was supposed to be assisting the driver?

nemesis
    Free Member

Disagree Picton – first it’s not good PR, second it suggest a good chance that in future they’ll cause a problem. Plenty of companies will respond and take it seriously as ti_pin’s post shows.

peteimpreza

“all it takes for evil to prosper is for a few good men to do nothing”

Report them.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Report to both, as you don’t want it happening again. And aren’t other witnesses evidence?

cb

Donk – mate as in colleague. He had obviously walked to try and find the right house. He was a tool to the extent that even the driver was pulling him back! To add to that, the “mate” probably didn’t see just how close the driver had just been to killing someone. HIs (one of his many) view was that “well he didn’t kill your bloody kids did he, so what’s the problem”.

He wasn’t very bright.

D0NK

“well he didn’t kill your bloody kids did he, so what’s the problem”.

We’ll go with colossal tool then 🙂
    get em reported

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Report him, the company would like to know how they’re being represented on the street.
    I had call to report a driver who ran me off the road. I emailed the company and received an email back saying that the driver was an agency driver, that they terminated his contract and informed the agency. I also told them that I was also informing the police of their decision. All done calmly and in a civil manner. I wouldn’t hesitate in using this company.

Another time I dropped an email to the MD of a company pointing out that a driver of a liveried car shouldn’t cut people up on the motorway then give the finger to others as it reflects badly on the company. A few emails demonstrated that they were not taking responsibility or apologising. Unfortunately for them I work in the industry and am able to recommend their competitors whenever possible.
    Report him.

aracer
    Free Member

Well apart from driving the wrong way down a one way street and driving on the footway, both of which are offences, multiple witnesses which is evidence. Though you are right, I wouldn’t expect them to do anything – from what I can work out driving on a footway is a completely unenforced offence.

Drac

I seen a school bus driver drinking whilst on his mobile and completely ignoring the crossing partrol warden signalling for vehicles to stop. I reported them to the company via social media, they took it very seriously and within hours the guy had lost his job.

jamj1974

Report them.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Post on social media about how this affected your daughter (assuming it did scare her?), report to the company and police.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Social Media frightens the life out of big companies these days, trust me I’ve been involved in twitter for a massive company.

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

cb

I’ll see if any of the other parents that were there do Twitter – its alien to me.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not had an issue on foot, but I do do around 40k a year in the car and see all sorts of idiots cutting people up, driving dangerously etc. The few times I actually feel I’ve been put at risk by their driving I’ve complained to their company (if they’re in a marked van/car) and I’ve been surprised how seriously it’s been taken.

I wouldn’t bother with the police. It’ll be a waste of time, but certainly write to the company and tell them.

project
    Free Member

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/m62-road-rage-cctv-driver-10289198

also was it argos,some crap drivers working for them via agencies, always report bad driving, next time the person may injure someone.

scrumfled
    Free Member

So there were witnesses to driving the wrong way down a street, mounting a pavement and endangering pedestrians?

cb

scrumfled – yes there were other people walking directly behind us. Already started the process of reporting to company and police.

brakes
    Free Member

which company was it?
    I see some terrible driving from supermarket deliverers – none worth reporting yet but it’s only a matter of time.
    I’d report them and take to twitter if you don’t get a satisfactory response back.
    arguably, the retailer might be to blame because of poor standards or training and setting unachievable delivery targets but that’s probably another thread…

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Report it every time, to the company with the caveat of next phone call being to the police.

I dont hesitate to these days, only confrontation is me taking a photograph so i can send to the company, especially in the instance of two guys in a company van whom just cut out of a pedestrian area into me whilst i was on the road cycling to the office, great picture of the guy driving giving me the bird with a fag in his gob, he couldnt go any further forward as i was pretty much under the front of the van.

also wasnt there in instance recently of a chap loosing his job after stopping his van on the motorway in order to hurl abuse at a lorry driver that he had actually cut up.

Stainypants

Report it, next time it could be someone eles kids under his van the guy doesn’t deserve to keep his job. If you get no joy go social media stick it in their twitter feed and send stick it on here for us to re-tweet.

crankboy
    Free Member

Sorry to stick with the consensus but I agree with you. report to police driver is careless /dangerous driving. Mate is either assault or threatening behaviour. Report to employer if I owned the business I would thank you for bring these two clowns to my attention before they really stuff the firms reputation.

gordimhor

Report to both company and police the next child might be less fortunate

gordimhor

Report to both company and police the next child might be less fortunate

cb

Quick update – thanks for all the posts!

As another witness exists, Cheshire Police are interested in following this up and are visiting me at the weekend for a statement I presume!

cb

ANother update – company involved will also be interviewing drivers separately with view to disciplinary if deemed appropriate. Seems that complaints do get taken seriously sometimes!

andrewh
    Free Member

Always worth reporting. I’ll do it with anyone I see in a marked vehicle using a mobile phone at the wheel (one this morning actually) Email employer and cc generic police address.
    Police have never done anything as far as I know, but hopefully makes the company take the email more seriously. Reponses range from nothing to taking it very seriously (Lothian Council the best so far I think, A C Williams coaches the worst by far, and that was a minor accident rather than a telephone)

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I feel your pain and must have been hard to control yourself. I often wondered if I should learn how to fight properly.
    So many rangerover drivers to take on! Lol

Sounds like an Asda delivery driver and overpaid thug of a mate on a powertrip

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Never thought I'd post a "Should I report them" thread…’ is closed to new replies.