Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Never mind the ramblers….
  • 154hopperavenue
    Free Member

it’s the f***ing cattle you need to worry about…

cakefacesmallblock

……and. What happened next ?!

Schweiz
    Free Member

First time out of the city?

Interested to see how you react when you learn that cows produce milk.

antigee

pipeline to the left ?

gas bbq?

nickjb
    Free Member

They can be inconvenient on singletrack.

wwaswas

Whether to ask it to mooove or just hoof off in the other direction?

I guess the answer would be suede by whether it was a male or female.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Do you know this cow ?

Last seen causing damage to a T5

😆

(Sorry to chap whos camper it was)

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

I edged nearer. There were a few of them where the trail bends round to the right

The one in the first picture started to walk towards me. His mate commenced a pincer movement so I f***ed off back through the gate and pushed the bike back to the road!

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

I don’t live in the city Schweiz. And it isn’t the first time I’ve come across some ‘wildlife’.

But it is the first time that the animals in question have decided to ‘move me’ off their trail…..

Gunz
    Free Member

I live right in the country and wouldn’t go within a mile of a cow, I just don’t trust half a ton of animal with a tiny brain.

oldejeans
    Free Member

In my experience……..

if you get off the bike and walk purposefully towards them, making plenty of noise, they disperse.

Don’t be too aggressive or you may cause them an injury as they turn and flee.

Be mindful that you do not place yourself between young calves and their mother.

Horns are not necessarily an indication of danger.

tthew

The one in the first picture started to walk towards me.

They generally just stop about 10 foot away and stare at you. Walk slowly towards them and they just maintain that distance until you are past. Talk to them too, cows like that.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

There were a couple of young ‘uns just behind. The trail turns almost 180 and then kicks uphill. It was muddy so if they’d decided to have a pop in reality I’d have been leaving the bike and legging it. Discretion was the better part of valour……

binners

Had you gone on holiday by mistake?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vguKJGfki3M[/video]

😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well we have a herd of cattle, 76 in all. Split between 11 fields. Bare in mind these cattle are well looked after and should know us lot by now. 😆

We walked down the field to go for a picnic, got pincered in into one corner of the fields by about 10-15 of the buggers.. There was a calf in the opposite corner of the field and they all seemed to want to keep us well away from it..
    Bob (BIL, Farmer) was a bit bemused as they all started to pincer us in.. but we carried on until we hit the gate and looked nervously back around to find them all in a semi circle staring us down..
    BIL shoved them off, but still even he was a little curious..

Fine after that though..

I’d have done the same thing OP and buggered off back the same way..

houndlegs
    Free Member

A few years back, walking the dog on The Gower, we got chased by a gang of hooligan cows, its the first and only time I’ve got close to outrunning the hound 😀

jekkyl

LOL @ you lot. scared of cows? just sort of jump at them and shout and they go away. I always find they’re well curious of dogs though and will always come over sniffing if you have a dog.

Esme
    Free Member

Actually, there’s been a few trampling incidents reported recently:
    Two on 26 August and one on 31 August

medoramas
    Free Member

Some time ago I was riding with a friend through the fields of Dartmoor (the ‘invisible’ paths from the top of Avon Dam), then we saw the cows at the top of the hill, about 100 metres in front of us. We decided to ride a bit closer to see if there is a way of taking a different track.

When we got about 50 metres closer we could see better. Full on cow and bull love-making scene… Damn, if there was a Strava segment we would have some awesome KOMs!!! 😆

(I always used to think that bulls must be kept enclosed!?)

P-Jay
    Free Member

I love a Cow, there’s noting like zipping down a trail on a misty day in the Alps when you here “the bell” clunk, clunk, clunk – oh Shit, there’s Daisy stood mid-berm and in no mood to move – I followed my much taller than me mate down once and he hand to duck under a cows head mid-bend.

They seem to have their fencing sorted now, haven’t seen Cows on the trails for years.

Used to find Sheep on the Downhill Trails at Cwmcarn all the time, usually on the first run there’d be a couple running down the trail at warp speed trying to get away from you, you don’t want to shock them, but there’s not much you can do when they’re right in front of you.

wwaswas

A friend took this with his phone on a ride today. I’m not sure he felt very threatened.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve punched a cow before. I used to work on a dairy farm some school holidays, and one day had to use a gate to pin a cow against a barn so the vet could get right up her to pull her calf out. Bastard stood on my foot (the cow not the vet) and despite repeatedly punching it on the arse as hard as I could it wouldn’t budge. I just ended up with blue knuckles as well as a purple foot. So they’re quite tough I would say.

honeybadgerx

Depends on the breed quite a lot as well, some are a bit more aggro than others. Herds of bullocks can be quite fun…

Awaits someone to post the gif of the aggro cow.

molgrips
    Free Member

His mate

Cows are girls. You’re not doing your country lad credentials any favours 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went exploring a few weeks ago just a few miles from home & down a BW I’d never tried before. Got to a gate & noticed some cows in the field & away from where I was heading. No worries, so off I went, to hastily retreat when they saw me & head rapidly (for cows) in my direction!
    Haven’t been back yet but I need to check the rest of that BW. 😕

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve punched a cow before. I used to work on a dairy farm some school holidays, and one day had to use a gate to pin a cow against a barn so the vet could get right up her to pull her calf out. Bastard stood on my foot

Now you understand why not wearing steel toecaps on a farm is referred to as a schoolboy error 😀

TomB

I find that malevolent slow motion charge that they do terrifying- there have been a few tramplings, including fatalities, round here this year, and I’m always very careful. Main thing is to keep the dog off lead so I’m not attached to it and not to let them get between me and an exit!

gwaelod
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Do you not think the cow was just walking up the track?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Although a cow is heavy enough to crush a steel toe cap so that your foot is pinned inside it…

rattie79
    Free Member

I know those cows!
    Up near coley. Don’t be put off there really nice cows, bloke who owns them actually keeps them as pets.
    Best to push the bike past them and talk to them calmly. She probably just wanted a stroke.
    P.s be more afraid of the jack Russell at next farm down the track

matt_outandabout

^ that would be me too – more worried over the farm dog than a cow (or hundred), but then I grew up around farms..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Now you understand why not wearing steel toecaps on a farm is referred to as a schoolboy error

To be fair, I was a schoolboy at the time 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Came across a herd of a dozen young bulls a couple of weeks ago when out with the wee boy on the weeride! They were watching us and making steps toward us but then showed more interest in their water. Almost literally had to squeeze by them to carry on, palpitations!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Never mind the ramblers….’ is closed to new replies.