Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Never mind rowing machines, talk to me about…
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

…elliptical/cross-trainers!

Given that I’m too chronically enfeebled for rowing machines or treadmills, and it seems a bit silly paying £33 a month for the gym, we’re looking at getting a cross-trainer. Any recommendations? Don’t want a rubbish wobbly one…

wwaswas

was going to suggest renting one if it’s just for the short term but a quick google inidcates gym woudl be cheaper…

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had a cross trainer until it knackered up. Spent a lot of time choosing the right one but even though it was a very good brand and not cheap it only lasted about 3 years. The main mechanicals were fine but the electronics in the controls failed and weren’t replaceable. I bought a rower after recommendations on here and a Concept one due to the spares back up. I use the rower much more than I did the cross trainer and find it a much better workout.
    If you must get a cross trainer get an old commercial one like Life Fitness, very well built and plenty of spares if you should need them

flap_jack
    Free Member

why not a turbo trainer ? x-trainer really won’t do much for your arms as they don’t have much slow-twitch muscle.

Northwind

Have you got a university or college local with a gym? They tend to offer community memberships at a fraction of the cost of a normal gym.

Commercial one would make sense, they’re made to last forever despite being pummelled by knobbers. My gym has Lifefitness kit and it feels like after a nuclear war there’ll be nothing left but cockroaches running on Lifefitness treadmills.

I’m a bit of a crosstrainer addict, something mesmerisingly horrible about them.

Karinofnine

I’m thinking along those lines too, for if the weather’s bad in the winter. I’m thinking ebay, where people buy one, realise they are never going to use it, then sell it for a song. There are 294 on ebay right now.

zilog6128

A decent cross trainer will cost a lot of money and take up a lot of space. What do you really want out of it that you can’t get from riding your bike?

MrsToast
    Free Member

We’ve already got a turbo trainer (can’t really be arsed with it myself though). I want a cross trainer as a) I want to exercise some different muscles, b) we haven’t got much in the way of off-road riding, and road riding bores me to tears and c) I want to be able to exercise on a daily basic where it’s warm, light and dry!

zilog6128

Fair enough. IMO though, if you are looking purely for fitness gains, there is nothing worse than a cross trainer (or any “cardio” machine done for prolonged periods at a constant HR). HIIT is where you will find the most fitness gains for the least time spent. You do not have to spend much money either – bodyweight training (calisthenics) will get you super fit, as will using a basic weight like a kettlebell (£20 or so from Sports Direct). Also, there really is no need to exercise every day for max fitness gains. Less is definitely more because the improvement happens during your recovery period, not during the actual exercise. 2/3 short, intense workouts a week is plenty for basic fitness.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id recommend running up stairs with a couple of full Asda bags in your hands (content here is key, go for something like bags of flour and sugar rather than candyfloss or pillows)

Once you get to the top, slide down the banister and repeat.

This trains strength, endurance and balance.

zilog6128

he takes the piss, but nothing is going to get you fitter than weighted hill sprints 😆

bruneep

Id recommend running up stairs with a couple of full Asda bags in your hands (content here is key, go for something like bags of flour and sugar rather than candyfloss or pillows)

Bugger! we only have Tesco bags. Oh well will have to wait until next weeks shop.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d try every combination of kettle bells, yoga, pilates, running, the lot before shelling out for a cross trainer.

If you don’t like turbo training, don’t expect cross training to be any different…. (imo)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Never mind rowing machines, talk to me about…’ is closed to new replies.