Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Never drink in a flat roofed pub
  • binners

Tbh, all of the dodgy pubs I’ve been in over the years, I’ve never had any bother. If it’s bother ye want, yates/spoons type places, in any big provincial town on a saturday night are your best bet.

True dat.

I’m from a provincial town originally (Warrington) and never ever went out in the town centre, as it’d be like a war zone at last orders, with all the Baz’s and Tommo’s kicking seven bells out of each other

When I lived in Salford 6, in fact all the time I lived in Central manchester, I never saw any trouble in pubs, never mind got any grief myself

My theory about this is that its very easy to be a gobby little shit (are you looking at my burd/did you call my pint a puff etc etc) in a small town. Go to a place with some genuine gangsters and proper hard men and start that shit, and its only a matter of time before you do it to the wrong person, and the police are fishing your body out of a river the following morning.

I always feel a lot safer in supposedly ‘dodgy’ places, than in some god-awful provincial town. In fact I just ****ing hate provincial towns, just because anyone with anything between their ears has generally upped and left for University, the big City, or the sticks, leaving only a hardcore rump of clueless **** who didn’t have the wherewithal to get out. These idiots can normally be found scrapping outside a kebab house at 2am. Warrington is your prime example of this. I loath the place and left as soon as I hit adulthood, never to return. I’d happily carpet bomb the place

BurnBob
    Free Member

Squirrel King. I to went to GCNS in 2000 – 2003. Sharkeys was encouraged then too and was the only place that was on that side of the river. We always went to The Clutha too for a pie and a few pints on a Friday lunchtime. Nice and Sleazys had Buckfast on tap but was more for the student gimmick market I think.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Meanwhile in Posh Bath, this is the best we can do down here in the soft south:
    https://goo.gl/maps/WZqKL6Xzxfp

Not flat roofed, and it’s gone waaaay upmarket since I was last in there by the looks of Streetview, but at least they’ve kept the glass bricks.

Growing up in a market town and having learnt to fight dirty (and run like hell) came in useful a few times.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Been in a few flat roofers in the Welsh valleys too, and never felt so strongly that being English could get me killed. I’d rather walk into an Argentine nationalist bar. Or Raqqah.

Apologies for going even further off topic, but Somerset is lovely for many reasons:
    https://goo.gl/maps/DR8fuQe1hAR2

avdave2

Well it doesn’t have a flat roof, and it’s the bar of a hotel rather than a pub but it remains the only drinking establishment I’ve been in where a short angry ginger scotsman has waved a revolver in my direction while telling the bar staff to put his drinks on my room.

bob_summers

One of my favourite paintings, Christmas Eve by George SHaw, is of a flat roofed pub:

The Black Prince, Tile Hill, Coventry (no idea if it’s still there).

More of Shaw’s paintings of Tile Hill here:
    http://www.scenesfromthepassion.co.uk/styled-13/index.html

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thank you bob_summers. You’ve given me a new painter to study. 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Go noshed off by a groupie in the ladies there after a gig. One and only time it ever happened!

maccruiskeen

That calls for a blue plaque.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think they do a blue plaque at the bar. I’ll have a white Russian while you’re up there.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Well it doesn’t have a flat roof, and it’s the bar of a hotel rather than a pub but it remains the only drinking establishment I’ve been in where a short angry ginger scotsman has waved a revolver in my direction while telling the bar staff to put his drinks on my room.

Ha! Drank in there occasionally when I was young. A few of the locals are a little rough around the edges, but that sounds mental!

llama

Meanwhile in Posh Bath, this is the best we can do down here in the soft south:
    https://goo.gl/maps/WZqKL6Xzxfp

Not flat roofed, and it’s gone waaaay upmarket since I was last in there by the looks of Streetview, but at least they’ve kept the glass bricks.

Growing up in a market town and having learnt to fight dirty (and run like hell) came in useful a few times.

Longacre tavern could be a little dodgy. Site of the infamous ‘everyone knows but nobody’s telling’ murder. Now a dominos, which is ironic as there was always old geezers playing dominos in there.

binners

The benchmark of any pub is surely that you can murder someone in there and nobody saw a thing?

After the Brass Handles murderized/no witnesses story I posted before, we once popped in to the next pub down, the Weaste, by Salfords old ground.

We’d been out for a few Sunday afternoon beers at the Inn of Good Hope (not a bad boozer but scene of a recent drive-by shooting) and we’d never been in the Weaste so decided to try it.

It’s a massive old pub. 5 or 6 of us walk in, including a couple of pretty big, handy lads. We walk in and there’s a gang of about 20 scary looking blokes by the bar. Nobody else in the place. And the discussion is heated, to say the least.

Next… It’s like the slaughtered lamb. The place falls totally silent. Everyone just stands and stares at us.,The biggest bloke out of the lot of them (man-mountain) marches over to us

“What d’ya think you’re doing lads?”

“We’ve just come in for a beer”

“No you’ve not…… **** off!”

Then literally pushed us back out the door.

We didn’t argue. **** knows what we’d just walked in on 😯

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Obviously a debate on 1x, 26v27.1v29, cheating in mega or the rees-mogg bairn.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The benchmark of any pub is surely that you can murder someone in there and nobody saw a thing?

I seem to remember one place in South London were a man had his face removed by a shotgun. No one saw it of course.

johnx2
    Free Member

a short angry ginger scotsman

Tautology?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was it wee Chesney?

MrSmith
    Free Member

This thread is such a great advert for this country and the fine upstanding young men who inhabit It.

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
    This other Eden, demi-paradise,
    This fortress built by Nature for herself
    Against infection and the hand of war,
    This happy breed of men, this little world,
    This precious stone set in the silver sea,
    Which serves it in the office of a wall
    Or as a moat defensive to a house,
    Against the envy of less happier lands,–
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

seosamh77
    Free Member

binners – Member
    We didn’t argue. **** knows what we’d just walked in on

sounds like a pretty serious game of domino’s!

kilo

I seem to remember one place in South London were a man had his face removed by a shotgun. No one saw it of course.

It was one of the pubs near me when I was growing up – never went in it as it was a dangerous dump with no redeeming features St Helier Arms, Britain’s most dangerous pub?

v666ern
    Free Member

My old local. Sorely missed. We drink elsewhere now but its not the same.

Um eddiebaby,

Im partly responsible for the sprats replacement…im not sure its an improvement going by the CGI of it, looks like a 4 year old drew it. 😥

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Never drink in a flat roofed pub’ is closed to new replies.