Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Never done an interview online before
  • allthegear
    Free Member

They’re *really* hard, aren’t they??

Applying for a job with a US tech non-profit and had interview today via Hangouts. So difficult to get the feedback that you get face to face. No idea how I did at all.

Rachel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do most of my sales calls online with no video these days, yep impossible to read the results from other people – and from my end I’ll often mute myself so you don’t get my reactions/cough/posting on STW

white101

I got my last job via a skype interview, wore a shirt that was in shot and shorts and flip flops out of shot. Similar uniform now on a day to day business working from home 80% of time. Other than those occasions I need to get a few miles in during the day….

mikey74
    Free Member

My interview for my potential job in Canada was conducted over the phone: I found it surprisingly easy and natural. I think it would have been harder if it had been a video call and I could see myself.

rossburton
    Free Member

I find it interesting to note how difficult it is to have a conversation to just one other person if the medium is basically one-way (Skype, Lync,Hangouts, whatever) compared to a “proper” phone line where you can both talk at the same time. Even more annoying when you’ve five people in a meeting spread across 16 hours of timezones…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

compared to a “proper” phone line where you can both talk at the same time.

We seem to manage to talk at the same time, though etiquette means like in a normal meeting you don’t talk over other people.

allthegear
    Free Member

The job will be remote (I’m not moving to US for anyone!) so this is how I’ll talk with colleagues, anyway. I guess I just need to get used to that level of disconnect.

2nd interview next week. Any tips for helping gain as much feedback as possible?

Rachel

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never had an interview but have done a (very) few presentations and one or two internal meetings. Everyone hates them. Audio-Visual conference call facilities must be the biggest waste of corporate money. At least Skype is free.

wwaswas

compared to a “proper” phone line where you can both talk at the same time.

I thought Skype etc were full duplex (more so than most phones, tbh).

jambalaya
    Free Member

1) I’m not moving to US for anyone!

2) Any tips for helping gain as much feedback as possible?

Rachel

1) playing hard to get 😉 ?
    2) ask

DrJ

Do these all the time – VC between offices in different countries. What’s strange is that once you have met the people involved in person it’s really much easier to interact in a VC.

Also interviewed people on VC – slightly unfair as you can zoom in right on their face to watch them sweat …

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrJ’s first point is a good one although I still much prefer voice only

That’s a bit wierd, don’t do that with members of the opposite sex. These days that would be harrasment ! Only partially joking

allfankledup

Desk phone now has a camera on there – helps to get people’s attention during calls
    Never used a desk phone camera for an interview – but have used VC before – worked ok, but we’re in a place that this is the norm rather than new ground

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use both VC and Secure Portal for a lot of what I do, most Tier1’s have outsourced partners dotted all over the world.
    I’ve never found any issues nor problems with communication streams, occasionally I’ll encounter a language or terminology issue but it’s quite reasonable to ask if it can be recreated or clarified.. after all it’s a two way thing communicating. Nothing worse than interpreting some technical process to find its disjointed and makes no sense.

Invariably it’s easier to get the main points over in a ConfCall VC or Secure Portal then gain the detail from the presenter after the event, or pick up the references or articles they’ve provided.

Interviews have been conducted remotely, VC or Skype for offshore types and whilst it seems disjointed and distracted there are only a few key points that need clarification before you’ve made your mind up.. then follow up on a call before getting HR to process (or not)

I’ll agree that F2F is better for personality traits, but invariably the skills are key and personality second.. after all if they’re human they’ll have a personality you can work with if the core skills you seek are there.. if you can’t work with the personality or accept them for who they are then they’re better off not working with you and that’s your problem not theirs.

Feedback is tricky, often I forget to provide it and I kick myself regularly for that omission. The candidates often ask and I’d say it’s about 50/50 with that.. so if pressed I’ll provide something generic that is a true reflection, something more intimate if they’ve just missed out or nothing at all if they’ve not asked. In the main I’m time pressured so it’s tricky to balance it, but I would say not everyone cares about feedback so I’m just about happy not to provide.

The more remote we become the better some folk will need to become at online presentations, office environments I really enjoy for F2F and detailed meetings and getting the feel for the programme but as we move forward it’s the way of the world that we become remote.. over the last 7 or so years we’ve been encouraged to work from home 2 days a week and it works for a vast majority of employees and we’ve gotten used to it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a policy of no camera, otherwise I’d need to be wearing clothes, rule 1 if a telephone conf, somebody is naked.

I agree with the once you know them bit much easier, the other way around being able to mute and shout **** that is good and being able to live chat the other people to move a conversation on is great.

finephilly
    Free Member

its definitely harder to pick up on how well you’ve done. I usually know f2f if I will get an offer but no idea how that happens online.

allthegear
    Free Member

1) playing hard to get ?

No – the US has too great a risk of death or serious injury for me.

As it happens, all 5 participants in the call were in different locations, though I was the only one outside the US. They are looking ideally for someone in Europe as, while the role is global, they have a particular problem communicating with those in Europe.

Should hear about the second interview next week.

Rachel

Nico
    Free Member

The job will be remote (I’m not moving to US for anyone!) so this is how I’ll talk with colleagues, anyway. I guess I just need to get used to that level of disconnect.

If you use words like “disconnect” as a noun then the technology is the least of your communication worries.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m just getting used to Americanisms…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Never done an interview online before’ is closed to new replies.