Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Neutrinos exceeding the speed of light & the search for the Higgs Boson……
  • shedfull
    Free Member

…..all pretty simple stuff to sort out but with no practical application as far as I can see. What we really need is the greatest minds in science getting together to work out why an apparently straight stick, lying on flat ground, can leap up and massacre the rear mech of a bike. When they’ve sorted this out, they can go on to work out the gap between tyre and fork arch that won’t trap holly leaves so they go “zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz” against the knobs on the tyre.

derekrides
    Free Member

Or why dog poo only sticks to the front wheel and horse poo to the back…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I want them to solve the neutrino problem – been trying for years to ride as fast as the speed of light and a definitve answer would help me decide whether to carry on trying or give up and just eat more pies…….

AndyRT
    Free Member

or why inner tube air smells of fish

RealMan
    Free Member

I want them to solve the neutrino problem – been trying for years to ride as fast as the speed of light and a definitve answer would help me decide whether to carry on trying or give up and just eat more pies…….

But you do know, the faster you go, the greater your mass becomes?

rkk01
    Free Member

Haven’t read up on this, but is c elastic, perhaps?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Read up on it, depends how you define elastic, it does change, the constant bit is everythign changeing to compensate for it.

eg car driving at 0.99c with its headlights on.

The driver still sees the light traveling at the speed of light, because altough its only going 0.01c faster than he is time has slowed down so much for him that the speed appears the same. So to him it takes a second for the light to reach a point in the distance, to a stationary outside observer it took 100seconds.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

But you do know, the faster you go, the greater your mass becomes

Indeed, so all is not lost then! 😆

It’s all relative, innit….

RustySpanner

Inner tube air smells of fish because the ‘chalk’ that comes with tubes is actually ground up dried fish.

Not sure if there is a vegan alternative!

RealMan
    Free Member

Is that actually true… 😕

sor
    Free Member

Maybe we can’t spot these Higgs Bosons because they’re made from neutrinos, and so whizz about so fast they can’t be seen. Seems a logical conclusion to me.

RustySpanner

RealMan, yes, I believe so.

There was a thread about it sometime ago.

RealMan
    Free Member

You heard it on STW? Guaranteed fact then 😀

skaifan
    Free Member

I found the higgs boson, but it went up the hoover.

glenh
    Free Member

Maybe we can’t spot these Higgs Bosons because they’re made from neutrinos, and so whizz about so fast they can’t be seen. Seems a logical conclusion to me.

Except that it makes no sense. Neutrinos aren’t even bosons! 😉

Well, mesons are bosons made from fermions (quarks), but you can’t make a boson from leptons (which neutrinos are).

RustySpanner

Quick Google search suggests it MIGHT be true 😀

glenh
    Free Member

Actually, I just remembered that cooper pairs are bosons, made from 2 leptons (electrons), so maybe I’m wrong.

jamiec360
    Free Member

Were the neutrinos on 29ers?

jamiec360
    Free Member

If they ciuld prove that I might think about getting one

neilthewheel

…no practical application as far as I can see

I believe people used to say that about electricity, when it was first discovered.
    Would’t it be great if you could order from Wiggle and it turned up the day before?

mr_mills
    Free Member

– Neutrino!

– Who’s there?

– Knock knock

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found the higgs boson, but it went up the hoover.

No, stuff like thqat always rolls under the fridge, have you checked there? It’ll be with all the bearings that fell out of your shimano hub.

shedfull
    Free Member

Would’t it be great if you could order from Wiggle and it turned up the day before?

But if you forgot to order from Wiggle after the stuff had turned up, you would disrupt space time and the universe would implode. And then you’d have to ride at 88mph, go back to 1955 and put it right.

skaifan
    Free Member

No, stuff like thqat always rolls under the fridge, have you checked there?

It was under the fridge, but i tried getting it out using the sock over the end of the hoover trick, but it got through the sock as its quite small.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Neutrinos exceeding the speed of light & the search for the Higgs Boson……’ is closed to new replies.