Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Neutering a male pup/dog…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone done it to theirs? What were your reasons and how have you found their character/temperament post op..?

climbingkev
    Free Member

I couldn’t in through with it…. So my dad looked after Turbo for 2 weeks and at some point took him for me!

Apparently, too early and they don’t mature/develop their character properly….. I don’t know the science, but have read it in a number of books. And too late (I.e if they get a taste of scrapping or shagging) there’s no going back.

Turbo was done at 14 months…. He’s got a cracking character, is a great confident dog, playful, non-aggressive and generally spot on.

My reasons: I didn’t have the time, money or knowledge to breed from him, he was my first dog, complete dogs are more territorial/aggressive…..some will tell you otherwise, and perhaps with more experience than me. My decision was made on 3 months of Googleing and talking to breeders. For what its worth he’s a Rhodesian Ridgeback, super temperament and I did aire on the side of caution rather than have 8.5 stone of highly strung teeth and muscle to deal with. Honestly…..and as cruel as it seems, you’re potentially doubling your workload by keeping them in tact, unless you want to breed.

That’s just my 2p worth…….big, subjective subject!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not done one myself but the missus will neuter plenty in her day. Ask your vet for some of the pro/cons. Having grown up on a farm most of the male animals were neutered. No ill effects just carried on.

Painless op that they wake up from and just carry on. Just had out kittens done and they are fine.

Most male dogs you meet will have no balls and it is a responsible thing to do if you don’t plan to bread from him. The Puppy Support Agency can be tough!

It is not an attack on your genitals and says nothing about you as a personman. 🙂

peajay

Didn’t neuter my first dog until he got cancer age 9, my next dog got done some time between 6 months and a year can’t remember. Reasons for doing the second dog was no plans to breed, less chance of cancer later, and didn’t want any aggression to other dogs as he’s a Stafford, with hind sight I don’t think the aggression bit would have been a problem, but the potential health benefits are reason enough,
    PJ.

wingnuts

This is producing lots of disturbing images of DIY doggy surgeons and bloodstained kitchen tables! Get a vet to do it please.

hp_source

We had our dog done at around 8 months old-ish I think… It was a condition of the rescue place we got him from. He was a pretty chilled out dog (for a springer!) before, and has remained the same since, but that may have been the case even if the vet hadn’t whipped ’em off.

Personally as we had no plans for him other than pet/door to door salesman remover it wasn’t an issue.

willard

Had to have both ours done earlier this year. They were scrapping over food and, whilst I was really not keen on having them both done (I wanted to breed Ted) it has made a huge difference. No change to temperament, but they have calmed down a bit and don’t scrap.

They have put on a bit of weight though, well Ralph has. Ted lost his soon enough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For reference my missus is a vet!

I think there is a different type of dry food for balls off dogs (there is for cats), again ask the professional!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Neutering a male pup/dog…?’ is closed to new replies.