Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Networking question?
  • bren2709

Looking to connect my Panasonic TX-42G15B tv to my router, only thing is the tv is not supported with USB and only Ethernet.
    Can I use a Ethernet male to USB female connector to allow this, rather than hard wiring?
    http://www.focalprice.com/CA430B/USB_A_Female_to_Ethernet_RJ45_Male_Router_Adapter_Black.html?Currency=GBP#.UUMoyYwgGSM

Cougar

By “router” do you mean “modem”? What is it?

chojin
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to do, but I can safely say its not going to work with that cable.
    You want to use a standard Ethernet cable to connect your TV to your router – The USB port is of no use to you.

spxxky
    Free Member

Does your router have more than one lan (rj45) socket? If it does, just get a network cable an dplug the TV into that. If not, buy a cheap 4 port switch, plug that into your router and then plug your PC and TV into the switch

greeble
    Free Member

Looking to connect my Panasonic TX-42G15B tv to my router, only thing is the tv is not supported with USB and only Ethernet.

sorry but what?
    just use ethernet surly?

Milkie
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only confused as ****! 😯

Apparently you can use them to turn a usb device into an iP device.. Eg Printer into a network printer… Personally I’m sceptical about this.

Cougar

Only thing I could think offhand was that the OP has an old USB dial-on-demand ADSL modem rather than a modern router.

Apparently you can use them to turn a usb device into an iP device.. Eg Printer into a network printer… Personally I’m sceptical about this.

You and me both. Seems a remarkably clever thing to do for a sub-£2 adapter.

bren2709

Yes I know I can connect with cable but router/modem is 8-10 metres away and would involve lifting carpet and other hassle.
    Router/modem is Netgear N300

Cougar

So… how does USB help?

Cougar

Wait, are you talking about plugging a USB WiFi dongle into it?

bren2709

Sorry..yes
    Was gonna connect tv to router/modem via wireless USB adaptor plugged into the USB adaptor- Ethernet adaptor.
    If that makes sense?

mossimus
    Free Member

EDIT: Too slow. Can you get a wiFi dongle for your TV?

bren2709

No tv not compat.

Cougar

I think what you need is something this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Ethernet-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B003D0WZKC

Daisy-chaining dongles like that is going to, well, let’s say it’s going to be unpredictable. There’s an outside chance it might work I suppose but I’d be shocked if it did.

bren2709

Cougar- that makes sense.
    Eth – Eth into bridge adaptor then hey presto!

Nice one cheers!

mossimus
    Free Member

Could you not just buy another wireless AP/Bridge and plug that directly nto TV with cat5

greeble
    Free Member

ah hang on a sec…

so this usb-rj45 goes into the the network plug on the tv.

then a wireless dongle into the usb?

how will you program the dongle?

I very much don’t think this will work

Yes I know I can connect with cable but router/modem is 8-10 metres away and would involve lifting carpet and other hassle.

careful and considerate cable mangement will solve this

I suggest buying a rasperry Pi.

bren2709

Cheers but I don’t think so as you can tell computers and associated sh*t ain’t my strong point 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d be looking at powerline adaptors for that if you have a power socket at both ends.

http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/127767/NETGEAR-Powerline-85Mbps-Network-Adapter-Kit

If power sockets are at a premium, you can also get pass-through models to enable you to still use the socket for power for a bit more £.

greeble
    Free Member

buy 8-10 meters of rj45. and run it carefully to the TV

whatnobeer
    Free Member

How about a homeplug?

eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Do this. It’s what my parents have set up in their house. Ethernet on tv -> homeplug 1, homeplug 2 -> router. Sorted.

cranberry
    Free Member

Was gonna connect tv to router/modem via wireless USB adaptor plugged into the USB adaptor- Ethernet adaptor.
    If that makes sense?

Yes that does – you can get a wireless adapter that plugs into the ethernet and is powered by USB from Netgear:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gaming/WNCE3001.aspx#

bren2709

Greeble you are missing the point and stating the obvious!

bren2709

To all that have answered my question and offered solutions and not stated the obvious, Thank you!

greeble
    Free Member

Greeble you are missing the point and stating the obvious!

sometimes the obvious soluition is the best/cheapest/easiest solution

bren2709

No sh*t Sherlock!

greeble
    Free Member

then why not use rj45 and be creative with your routing so you don’t have to lift up carpet etc……

molgrips
    Free Member

It must have wireless surely? Be daft if it didn’t.

greeble
    Free Member

no that TV doesn’t.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Networking question?’ is closed to new replies.